Several doubts Scirra

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Several elements of the game interface hidden objects
  • Very true, but it's never as black and white as that. To use your crayon cat analogy. Yes, you can draw a cat with these crayons. But can they?

Yes, they can. If it's a shitty looking cat that's their own fault. Just because you can hold a crayon doesn't mean you can hang with Rembrandt. You gotta get some learnin in you first.

• I submit that on the very first start the Ghost Shooter tut should be loaded.

You could also add a link to the cap that would open up a html version of the tut, along with bla, bla, please take the tut first, and if you have any questions please refer to the faq, and forum.

• > Very true, but it's never as black and white as that. To use your crayon cat analogy. Yes, you can draw a cat with these crayons. But can they?

>

Yes, they can. If it's a shitty looking cat that's their own fault. Just because you can hold a crayon doesn't mean you can hang with Rembrandt. You gotta get some learnin in you first.

lol! Sorry, that just gave me the funniest mental image of Rembrandt "hangin" with his homies on some Amsterdam street corner.

I submit that on the very first start the Ghost Shooter tut should be loaded.

You could also add a link to the cap that would open up a html version of the tut, along with bla, bla, please take the tut first, and if you have any questions please refer to the faq, and forum.

That's a really good idea.

Could make it so you can't get rid of it until you take a test asking basic questions.. Ok my idea isn't so good and would never happen, but wouldn't we all secretly like it, lol.

• [quote:18ittyav]That's a really good idea.

Could make it so you can't get rid of it until you take a test asking basic questions.. Ok my idea isn't so good and would never happen, but wouldn't we all secretly like it, lol.

No but you could put some test type questions on the forum's "are you human" test.

Also given the html object, and download plugs we could... (in theory) make a really nice interactive tutorial, that new users would want to take.

• nobody who uses programs like these, are programmers, there's no programming involved and you're not a programmer by using them, it's like a modder calling himself a developer, or a college student with no real world experience, claiming they know better, it's a bit of a joke, haha

I have to disagree. I don't think a person needs to use a programming language to program. An if/then statement is the same basic concept in a language as in construct. I can't program in any sort of programming language at all, and yet after learning construct, not only can I talk game programming with professional game programmers, they can and have suggested things to me, without having used construct - and their suggestions work. I can understand what they're talking about most of the time because construct uses so many of the same functions. While construct simplifies the process enormously, it's still essentially the same thing, using a lot of the same concepts.

Also, as I think you know, you don't need to be at a major company or use a programming language to be a game developer. Honestly, I don't like how you seem to consider us 'bottom of the barrel' developers in your tone with parts of this post. I've been working on my RPG for 10 months, and let me tell you, it is a LOT of work. Construct may not be coding completely from scratch, but really, how different is it from using an engine of some sort that does a lot of the work for you? Engines take years to develop, and if your goal is to make games, I hear even from pro developers, you might as well use some other engine and get to the game.

[quote:1q8qt7m3]Especially when people run around claiming construct can do everything, when the reality of it is, it can't.

With the exception of online/gamepad use, I don't think I've found any 2d games that couldn't be made in construct (there are obviously a lot of 2d games I haven't played, though). The only games that I've found that you couldn't remake in their entirety are ones that rely on the speed of code (which is obviously faster than interpreting events), but even those games could be made with a few thousand less spaceships in them, for example.

Even if there are games out there that you couldn't make in construct, it can still be said that construct can make any TYPE of 2D game.

[quote:1q8qt7m3]Programmers (e.g. Ashley, David and the plugin creators)

Developers (people with real commercial experience)

Modders (people who mod game engines or create TC's)

Game Makers <-- this is where construct and other apps like it are, along with us, the users.

I don't think any group should be listed as 'below' or 'above' any other. We're all doing the same thing. Making games. The more I talk to people about it, the more I find people, and developers, most of the time don't care what you make a game with. They care that the game is awesome.

I disagree about loading the tutorial automatically, but perhaps asking if the user would like a tutorial once would work.

• actually opening up a tutorial .cap on first run sounds like a very good idea to me.

though perhaps a new one should be made? Dunno.

About hating on newbies no, just hating on people that don't even attempt to learn before asking stuff (me, at least. Software is free, there's wiki, there's forum, there's tutorials... and yet people skip all those? grumble)

About WALL OF TEXT: tl;dr

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I have to disagree. I don't think a person needs to use a programming language to program. An if/then statement is the same basic concept in a language as in construct. I can't program in any sort of programming language at all, and yet after learning construct, not only can I talk game programming with professional game programmers, they can and have suggested things to me, without having used construct - and their suggestions work. I can understand what they're talking about most of the time because construct uses so many of the same functions. While construct simplifies the process enormously, it's still essentially the same thing, using a lot of the same concepts.

Understanding someone and being able to do it yourself are two different things though. I, like a lot of people, can understand most spoken languages to a point. I'll recognize words, phrases, take the situation in context and most of the time understand the general gist of what's being said. But if you asked me to speak German etc. I'd just look at you with a blank stare and be unable to. Does that make me a linguist? No. Same applies to programming, I understand it enough to know how it works, can follow it (to a point), make small changes and know the limitations etc. But I couldn't sit down and program. I certainly wouldn't call myself a programmer.

[quote:3govchlr]With the exception of online/gamepad use, I don't think I've found any 2d games that couldn't be made in construct (there are obviously a lot of 2d games I haven't played, though). The only games that I've found that you couldn't remake in their entirety are ones that rely on the speed of code (which is obviously faster than interpreting events), but even those games could be made with a few thousand less spaceships in them, for example.

Even if there are games out there that you couldn't make in construct, it can still be said that construct can make any TYPE of 2D game.

Well I admit I probably didn't word it so well when I wrote that originally, my bad. The point I was trying to get across as was explained better using deadeye's crayon cat. Is people don't really care IF something is possible, it's can THEY do it. That's what I believe is the question they really want, the question we all really want. They hear construct and others are easy to use, and that's what they look for, a tool to make life easier and more their level of experience. But that leads to another problem. How the heck will anyone else know if something is possible for another person or not? Hence the butting of heads.

actually opening up a tutorial .cap on first run sounds like a very good idea to me.

though perhaps a new one should be made? Dunno.

Same, plus newts suggestion for the are you human questions (I've seen that done on some other forum once, and at the very least it will make you search for the answer if you don't know it).

I think a forced tutorial WILL annoy some people, but will be better for all in the long run. Plus, don't most games actually force a tutorial on you the first time around, with few allowing it to be skipped. So I suppose really it's not that bad of a thing, and it would be there to help people, and who knows, even the pro's might learn the odd thing or two from it?

[quote:3govchlr]About hating on newbies no, just hating on people that don't even attempt to learn before asking stuff (me, at least. Software is free, there's wiki, there's forum, there's tutorials... and yet people skip all those? grumble)

That just seems to be the way it is these days, the majority won't read documentation and will instead ask on forums, because it's less work than researching the answer yourself. Happens with everything, everywhere, and I don't see it changing.

[quote:3govchlr]

About WALL OF TEXT: tl;dr

Bah lol

• Wow, I missed a lot of stuff in LmK's original post because... well, tl;dr

The more I talk to people about it, the more I find people, and developers, most of the time don't care what you make a game with. They care that the game is awesome.

Agreed. Go to TIGSource. It's a community where a good deal of the indie game crowd hangs out. Stuff gets made there from all kinds of people, from "real coders" to folks who use MMF. Try bashing on GameMaker there and see how far it gets you. It's not what you use, or how much time you spent learning it... it's what you make. That's all that matters. And when it comes to making games, being able to call yourself a programmer isn't anywhere near as useful as being able to call yourself a game designer.

But if you asked me to speak German etc. I'd just look at you with a blank stare and be unable to.

That's nobody's fault but your own. It's certainly not mine, or the Germans. You can learn to speak German if you want. You can learn to draw a cat if you want. You can learn to design a game if you want... even if the game involves backflipping. Even if the game is about drawing German cats with infrared crayons while backflipping into the sun.

Ah, I'm getting off the point.

...people don't really care IF something is possible, it's can THEY do it. That's what I believe is the question they really want, the question we all really want.

Can it be done? Yes. Can anyone do it? Dunno. That's a question you need to ask yourself. If you try, and stick with it, the answer will probably be yes. A better question might be "how do I do it?" An even better one might be "will I do it?"

• An even better question is "Do I feel lucky".

Well do ya? PUNK?

• An even better question is "Do I feel lucky".

Well do ya? PUNK?

No, I don't sorry.

Please don't shoot me with that big ass gun!

• Lately I have been learning Ruby because I felt limited by Construct and other game making engines. I am familiar with some programming concepts and game design, however I couldn't program past "Hello world!" before. Now I'm developing a would-be-roguelike and learning a great deal about game development as well. Granted, there were many snags on the way, but I've had professional help to nudge me into the right direction. Also the Computer Science classes many a year ago may have helped with the foundation, but well, that was in Oberon and programs were pretty much about typing text or outputting results of some math stuff.

You, too, can learn to program or, more accurately, script if you devote some of your time and mind to it. Sometimes I still wake up in middle of a night with an epiphany regarding to my little project.

The only limit is your own will and commitment. I've read stories about people who finally acquired driving licence after hundreds of failed tests. I'm sure I, too, will eventually succeed if I keep climbing back into the saddle.

Bottom line: It all depends on how much effort you are willing to put in.

• Sorry for my ignorance

But e been looking for programs to raise my game and just wanted to know if Scirra Construct would be a good candidate

The truth, I really like the program, but I'm still a rookie

Yesterday publish the program on my forum and was successful, so that a user decided to translate it into Spanish, I hope that you will not amount

Ashley: thanks for the tutorials, I have been very helpful.

PD: I'm Spanish, sorry for my bad English =P

• Sorry for my ignorance

But e been looking for programs to raise my game and just wanted to know if Scirra Construct would be a good candidate

The truth, I really like the program, but I'm still a rookie

Nah, please don't feel like that. This thread just went a little out of control for a moment. We're nice folks, really

Anyway, we'll be here to help if you get stuck.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)