Saving a Game

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Match the similar cards with each other and free all animals!
  • I was wondering how to create a method for saving a game...

...someone told me that I could have a directory w/ a .txt file that will hold all of my variables, so when it starts up the game gets the variables and loads everything. However, I have no idea how to do this, so if someone could run down some basic methods I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks,

~Cetanu

• Hmm I would also like to know how to do this just like those RPG game save screens. However, saving it in .text seems a bit too "hackable". SInce its basically a notepad, someone could just open it and change the values.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • If you only need to remember simple things, like player stats and position, I'd simply use a hash table and save it as a random file. It's not that easy editable compared to having it in a txt or ini, where all the values are just out in the clear for everyone to see and edit as they please.

A very basic protection would also be what Minor describes in this thread: INI Protection with CRC32

• i thought ini's were viewable in a txt editor.

i'm not sure about the binary object

it has a little bit of a learning curve, but the 's' plugin let's you store any type of data, and saving it to an encrypted file is just one action.

• I took a look at that INI example and it broke it down for me, but still didn't tell me enough...

...how do I make Construct read/load the file?

• There are built in save/load actions in the system object which take care of all the complexities for you.

• Okay, thanks! I actually just found them a while ago, and I said to myself, "Can it really be this easy?"

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)