Physics Objects Freeze Outside Certain Limit

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Simple yet very life-like rag doll made with Physics!
  • I'm working on a platformed based on the physics engine. However, whenever any physics object crosses a certain point, it just freezes. As you can imagine, it's hard to continue working on a side-scroller when your character is confined inside an invisible box.

I'll upload a .cap is this turns out to not be a common/widely-known problem.

• This problem is because of Newton Dynamics, the engine that Construct uses for Physics. It has a 'world space', outside of which the physics tend to stop being calculated.

I encountered this with Phys-Box originally, but it didn't really bother me much as a bug because I'd already heard about Newton's world space.

It gives you something like a 4000x4000 space to work with anyway does it not? That should be far large enough for most any platformer level, and you can easily enough link multiple layouts together.

• Linking two layouts together is an inefficient way of doing things, if what you're suggesting is using two "Layout" objects side by side and moving them adjacent to each other. Sure, it would provide a seamless transition, but you're left to manage the wrap between layouts manually.

Of course, I'm probably looking too far into things. If you're instead suggesting having a "transition zone" that jumps to another layout, that severely limits the creative process.

Perhaps a physics overhaul down the is the only thing that can make it right?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Draw Carey is right, there's a world size limit in the Physics behaviour which is about 4000x4000. Tweaking the World X Scale and World Y Scale parameters might help... but I think soon Physics needs a make-over, maybe with one of the new 2D physics engines...

• Draw Carey is right, there's a world size limit in the Physics behaviour which is about 4000x4000. Tweaking the World X Scale and World Y Scale parameters might help... but I think soon Physics needs a make-over, maybe with one of the new 2D physics engines...

Perhaps it may be a good idea to contact the guys that make PHUN, the 2d physics based drawing program (which is freeware). I don't know if it's open source, or if they will even be willing to share, but the collision is pretty good, and they even have 2d fluid dynamics.

You can find the PHUN website here:

http://www.phun.at/

• DISREGARD THAT, I"M AN IDIOT.

I had the sprites huge. I just shrunk everything down and zoomed in the camera, seems to work.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)