Odd climbing problem.

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
  • Hello everyone.

I'm making a game where the player is able to climb up walls. Doing this is simple enough, I just adapted the "ladder" functions in Platform School (thanks Deadeye!) to climbing up walls instead. However, getting to the top of the wall brings about another problem.

My character has an animation that plays when they pull themselves up onto the surface. Of course, this animation ends with the character standing up on the surface. The question I have is how could I get this to work fluidly?

I thought of having the animation set up hotspots of the animation in such a way that, should the player be just looking at it, the character then appears to be pulling themselves up, the way they should. In reality, I'm removing the collision mask from where it is to where it would be after the animation was done, and using an offset to detect whether or not the player should continue climbing, or pull themselves up. If this hardly making any sense, I've attached a video of a similar game.

Subscribe to Construct videos now

In my game, you can climb up walls, so its not just an issue of what you can hang on to. But the animation of climbing up onto the surface is what I'm trying to get done. From a visual standpoint, its easy. But from a technical, behind the scenes standpoint? I've never figured this out. Help, anyone?

• I approached this problem by having the character with a detector at its top to check when it's not overlapping a wall for when the character should start pulling themselves up. When they do that, then play an animation of them climbing. The animation hot spots must be aligned so that technically while the character is pulling themselves up, the sprite isn't moving. What I mean is, in the animation, the character will pull themselves up and away from the hot spot. Once the animation is done, set the position of the sprite to match up where the animation ended up after climbing.

Does that make sense?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • [quote:1m6914nq]I thought of having the animation set up hotspots of the animation in such a way that, should the player be just looking at it, the character then appears to be pulling themselves up, the way they should. In reality, I'm removing the collision mask from where it is to where it would be after the animation was done, and using an offset to detect whether or not the player should continue climbing, or pull themselves up. If this hardly making any sense, I've attached a video of a similar game.

That's what I said up here! It's a hard concept to describe, isn't it? Thank you very much for your reply!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)