Need some help finding some info

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Game with complete Source-Code (Construct 3 / .c3p) + HTML5 Exported.
  • Hello, everyone!

As you can tell, I'm rather new at this, so please dont hurt me until I become accustomed to the interface, haha.

I have to go to work in a few hours, and I got some things I have to do until then, which kinda sucks, but hey, a job is a job, right? The things is though, I need some help finding some tutorials on how to do some things in Construct, which I will list below. I will appreciate any help, and thanks in advance for your assistance!

How to make a map of an area (kinda like a castle map) and how to access it during gameplay

How to create special effects such as plasma ice and lightning

How to alter the laws of physics within Construct

How to make it to where a layer in the back could interact with a layer in the front (like a tank in the background firing at the player)

How to code advanced enemy beheavior

How to create a fully functional pause menu complete with the ability to equip new gear to the main character, change settings, and display statistics

How to equip items to sprites, such as a change in gear

How to code special effects to a sprite for things like spell casting

I just need some recommendations on where to find info on the above mentioned issues, and when I get off work, I'll do some searching on my own. Thanks again, guys!

• i don't want to be harsh or something, but this sounds more like "I want to make an RPG!"

but still, here are some suggestions-

For special effects, use the 'plasma' and 'particle' effects object, these can be used to make almost any kind of effect, you just need to experiment with the values.

Alter laws of physics-

hmm....i really can't understand what you meant by this.

enemy behavior-

till now there no behavior in Construct for Artificial intelligence, it depends on what type of game you are making, top down, platformer, iso etc. It's easy to make simple AI by checking the distance between the player and the enemy and when player is in certain range of the enemy, the enemy moves towards it.

pause menu-

set timescale to '0' (it is in the "system" actions)

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/c ... me_Scaling

EDIT: i think this will help you:

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • [quote:2hmp13i7]How to alter the laws of physics within Construct

Quote of the year.

• Thanks for the feedback, guys, and I hope my quote will one day turn into an internet mimi.

I'm really thinking about making an RPG, but not in the traditional sense. I' ll explain more when I have a better consept of what I want to do. As for physics, it is to my knowledge that it is possible to alter the variables until you have what you want, but that appears to be somthing I'll have to research myself. If I find somthing, maybe I could post a tutorial. I understand that you can halt the time scale, but I would like a menu to take its place... like an RPG, haha. But now to do that map concept.

Anyways, thanks guys, and perhaps somthing will be born out of my madness!

• How to alter the laws of physics within Construct

In the event editor, when you click new action, then choose an object, there should be tabs at the top - Platform, Physics, whatever sort of behaviors they have. This is one place I know of where you can alter their gravity, etc., during runtime.

How to make it to where a layer in the back could interact with a layer in the front (like a tank in the background firing at the player)

I suppose you could have a tank sprite in the background, set to be not solid.

Its shots could be non-solid but have collision, and could start small when fired, then they could grow.. Like..

Every 250ms: Shot.width = Shot.width + 1, and Shot.height = Shot.height + 1

Then, when Shot.width is greater than 32, for example, it could check for collisions with the player and so on, then the Shot could be destroyed.

Or you might have to 'Pick object by comparison'.. Shot.width Greater than 32, then do that.

It is an idea, anyways.

How to create a fully functional pause menu complete with the ability to equip new gear to the main character, change settings, and display statistics

In my game, I have a menu layer. My menu objects are global (I believe). When I bring up the menu by keypress, I set the timescale to zero, and set the menu layer to be visible.

Then it's a matter of just using functions that don't require timescale to be above 0. Just immediately sprite X/Y positions, reading single keypresses through MouseKeyboard, things that don't happen over time as it were (like repeating keypresses from 'Key somekey is held', I think).

Then, I think what I did was have a "group" named menu in an event sheet. When I bring up the menu, I enable this group. This way, clicks or key presses that should happen only in the menu happen only in the menu.

Then I set the timescale back to 1.0 and disable the menu group again when I close it.

How to equip items to sprites, such as a change in gear

You can, perhaps, destroy your equipment sprites or hide them when they aren't needed. Then when one is equipped, spawn a new one or just make the equipped ones visible. I am not sure what is best to do.

Then, when equipped, always have the equipment sprites be moved to certain points on the player sprite. You can set "points", with a name, in every frame of their animation.

For example, a raccoon character of mine has a point named "tail" in all frames of animation. His tail object is always moved to Player's point named "tail".

I have certain weapons he can equip. When the sword is equipped, I destroy the other weapons, spawn a sword, then it's always moved to one of the hand points.

When I switch to a bow, I destroy the other weapons and have the bow be moved to his hand point.

How to code special effects to a sprite for things like spell casting

It is possible to alter the parameters of effects during runtime, I think.. You could do that, or possibly clever use of new sprites on top.

I hope I wasn't too confusing, and gave at least some kind of useful answers. =)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)