Is the Xbox 360 Controller Object Bugged?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Small pixel icons for the 3 most popular controller types.
  • I added the Xbox 360 Controller Object to my game and it was working really well for my platformer game. Then I started placing a bunch of a second type of enemy (which I had already used quite a while ago without this problem) into the layout. I suddenly started to get unresponsiveness issues with the Xbox Controller for moving left/right and stuff. I'm using platform behavior by the way. The keyboard works perfectly for it (both can be used at the same time) but the Controller seems to lock up randomly. The face buttons still work though. At first I thought it was tied to the objects placed in the layout. It was freezing as soon as the layout started at first. I messed with the enemy spawn objects and their boundary boxes (to keep enemies moving around set areas) and it suddenly started to work...or so I thought until it would still randomly do that. I can't see any events that effect movement as the keyboard still works and the movement for the controller is handled by the plugin. There's no consistency to the bug either.

• sure it's not your controller?

• 100% positive that my controller is fine. I use this controller for stuff all the time and it isn't even that old. It still only randomly stops working (meaning the Dpad and Left Stick since those are both tied to left/right/up/down) when I have the stuff for one of my enemy types present and actually attacking them (all but the Spawn sprite were sitting offscreen and being destroyed at start before this) but it doesn't seem tied to them since it doesn't occur during anything specific. I've gone through all the events and there's nothing tied to using the controller for movement.

Note: I remembered it breaks jumping too. Hmm, that is all platform related stuff.

Edit: It will even cut out in the middle of a jump and it is ONLY when the controller is using controls for the Platform Behavior (eg. Dpad Left is Move Left). It looks like there's a bug with the plugin, but why I am only seeing it when a certain enemy type is spawned (or has been spawned then killed or a few are still alive and just walk off the layout and fall into nothingness or whatever) makes no sense.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I think David's looking in to fixing a related bug in the Xbox 360 controller behavior for the next build.

• I think David's looking in to fixing a related bug in the Xbox 360 controller behavior for the next build.

That's great. Nice to know that there's a known bug with it before it confuses me any more while messing with it.

• While it looks like there is a bug, I have not seen it on my game and I have tested it a lot wiht the Xbox 360 controller.

I did have problems when I used a clone Xbox 360 controller under WinXP. It was very flaky and would not work at all on one of the WinXP machines, until I switched to an Official Xbox 360 controller. It now is rock solid and plays perfectly.

So whether I just had a bad clone controller or MS made sure theirs works better I can't say. But the problem only occurred while testing it on 2 WinXP machines. Vista and WIn 7 were fine.

• While it looks like there is a bug, I have not seen it on my game and I have tested it a lot wiht the Xbox 360 controller.

I did have problems when I used a clone Xbox 360 controller under WinXP. It was very flaky and would not work at all on one of the WinXP machines, until I switched to an Official Xbox 360 controller. It now is rock solid and plays perfectly.

So whether I just had a bad clone controller or MS made sure theirs works better I can't say. But the problem only occurred while testing it on 2 WinXP machines. Vista and WIn 7 were fine.

The XBox controller for Windows has had a history of not being so great. The unofficial one some guy did (I forget it's name but so many use it, it's easy to google for) worked awesomely. Alas it still wouldn't work for 64bit versions of Vista, last I checked.

But on the plus side, the newest official controller works fine from what I can tell.

• No problems on any of my 3 Xbox360 controllers.

I've not tested it extensively on any Construct program (although they have been used a fair amount in them), but I've been using them with various PC games and emulators for more than a year and I've had no problems whatsoever.

Based on that, it sounds to me like the problem lies with the plugin, or its use.

Krush.

• Just re-read the original post. Does the controller work ok in other games? Have you tested it? Maybe it's just broken or there's a loose wire. Is the plug thing plugged? Try turning it off and on again? It probably wont help, but you'll feel satisfied you've tried everything.

• After having done a pretty good test (posted here) and then reading the issues of others, it's quite clear that there is a problem. It's not simply an issue of the way people are programming (an accusation I've seen while searching on this issue).

When I ran the test, I used the exact same commands with both the keyboard object and the 360 controller object, starting with the controller object. The keyboard object responded to all of them correctly, the 360 controller object responded to only a few and even switched operations around to other parts of the controller. I'd tell the left thumb stick to command a jump, and it would make the right thumbstick do it... screwy stuff like that. Certain buttons just didn't operate no matter what I did.

Personally, my 360 controller works fine on every game I have. Never had a single problem. It also works fine for me in XNA (I program in C# sometimes) and MMF, but in Construct it's a no-go.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)