how to do a backstep/dodge?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Keep dodging the falling bricks for as long as possible.
  • Hi al! finally decided to make a thread for this problem im having. ive been searching the forums for an answer for a few days now,but no luck yet. im new btw so be gentle ok?

ive been learning to use construct for a few weeks now and ive managed to create a simple basis for a platformer,using other ppls examples and tutorials.have to say im getting more and more excited about construct,its really fun to use and pretty easy too,atleast compared to gamemaker. im gonna do a satirical platformer starring one of my friends, and im gonna give this game to him on his birthday.

ok so on to the problem:

what im trying to do is sort of a dodge/backstep kind of move,where the player shortly slides backwards when a key is pressed(i also plan to use this same move when the player takes damage).

in short,kinda like blatantly copying the dodge from castlevania: SOTN

to be more specific look here

its the move around 5:57 or so.

ive managed to sdo this move(sort of),but with 2 separate buttons(example: press x--move to right / press z--move to left),but it isnt very practical..

how can i make it so that the sprite always moves backwards,when i press a key?

i just cant for the life of me figure it out and i would be really grateful if someone could help me out a bit.

thanks in advance and sorry if my english sucks.

• Off the top of my head O_o;

+input that makes player dash is pressed

-set value "dash" to (duration of dash in milliseconds)

+value "dash" is greater than 0

+player is facing said direction

-set x component of motion to (speed of dash, - is left + is right)

-subtract 1 from "dash"

• awesome, i got it to work just the way i wanted! thank you so much for helping me out.

• Uh what does the + and - mean exactly and how do I input it to my program exactly?

• He's using the + to represent a condition, and the - to represent and action in the events

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Please could you send a capx or image of your work.i really need to know how its done.thanks :-)

• Please could you send a capx or image of your work.i really need to know how its done.thanks :-)

wow, now this takes me back lol.

just a heads up: this was for Construct Classic. i dont have construct2, so i cant make a capx for it. here's a picture for CC to get some basic idea how its done, using platform behavior:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kvgk6malymp21o/dodge-pic.jpg

if you have CC i can send the barebones example .cap

hope it helps.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)