Creating Diaglogue Boxes and GUI

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Construct the user interface of your game with these universal buttons.
  • Hi everyone, I've been looking through the Construct Wiki and forums trying to find a basic tutorial on this subject and haven't found anything that would help me get started. Is there a thread I've missed about creating a user interface with multiple menus for a game with Construct? I'm also interested in creating some kind of dialogue system with a consistent look (like in RPGs). Is there a tutorial out there that I haven't seen or some other help I could get with this? Any links or advice on these topics would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Currently there is no specific way to do this, hopefully sometime in the future someone might develop a behavior, or object for this.

In the mean time, there is no reason why you cant develop your own out of things like the box object, and the text object. These are the easiest, and quickest ways to create something like a dialog box.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Got it. So start with the Box object and Text objects. That will help. I wasn't even sure if those objects were the right ones to use. Do you know if there is a way to make a Box object adjust its size based on what's inside it (text, for example). Also, what does the Text Manipulator object do? There's nothing in the Wiki on it yet. Lastly, is there anything I should know about combining the Text and Box objects?

• I wasn't even sure if those objects were the right ones to use.

There is really no "right way" to make something like this, simply efficient and inefficient ways. Tinker around with it a for while until you're satisfied with the result.

As for dynamically sizing the boxes, I believe there was some talk about an upcoming feature for changing the text box size based on it's content. I'm not 100% sure though, perhaps a forum search will help you out on that.

• Right now you have to make your own controls with whatever combination of Sprites, text box objects suits you. Since it's a bit repetitive and also window controls don't work in fullscreen, I've got vague plans in my head for button-sprites, textbox-sprites and so on, which are basically controls which draw with textures. Then you could customise their look for your game and have easy to use controls. Still, I don't think I'll have time for that until after 1.0, but it'd be a good one for a starting out plugin dev to give a go.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)