Clamp help?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Game with complete Source-Code (Construct 3 / .c3p) + HTML5 Exported.
  • Anyone have any idea why the expression:

clamp(Player.Value('Xcomp'), cos(Player.Value('Vector')) * -200, cos(Player.Value('Vector')) * 200)

is returning -200 as soon as Player.Value('Xcomp') goes below zero?

cap here if you need:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1289341/TimeTest.cap

W and S to move, player looks at the mouse

• What happens when cos(global('Vector')) returns -1?

• I'm assuming it would return 200 unfortunately

Not sure how I would do this, but still the current problem is that for some reason, as soon as Xcomp is a negative, BOTH Xcomp and Ycomp variables get messed up

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I think I fixed it:

clamp(Player.Value('Xcomp'), abs(cos(Player.Value('Vector')) * global('MaxSpeed')) * -1, abs(cos(Player.Value('Vector')) * global('MaxSpeed')))

Absolute value ftw

• I can't really look at the .cap right now, so I'll just do some guesswork.

I am assuming the Xcomp and cos(Vector) get into negative values when facing left, right? In that case, you have the following case:

clamp(Xcomp,200,-200). This is erroneous, try making sure the min and max values are correctly set.

I'd suggest something like this:

cosV = cos(Vector)

minSpeed = min(cosV*-200, cosV*200)

maxSpeed = max(cosV*-200, cosV*200)

clamp(value, minSpeed, maxSpeed)

That way, the minimum and maximum values will be correctly ordered. Let me know how it goes.

• In theory that looks like it should work, I even made a little text box display those values to make sure they were the inverse of each other at all times, which they were, the minimum one was always a negative and the other, always a positive.

Yet when I move my player around using that method, he now moves MEGA twitchy, basically when Xcomp goes from a negative to a positive, he then goes max speed in the positive direction, and vice versa when going from positive to negative. It doesn't make sense!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)