Castlevania Style Platformer

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Slot Machine Games. suitable for workers who work from home because it has player names that must be played alternately
  • Haha, no unfortunately no one has leaked them to me Because I started with Construct 99.62 I was never really able to make use of your tutorials, but I've been looking forward to your updated releases very very much, I'm sure they'll answer all my questions once they're out. So far I've got...

Ground

Ice

Water

Bounce Blocks (up only)

Conveyor Belts (left and right)

Lava/Spikes (instant death)

Push Blocks

Vanish Blocks (not sure how to work out staggering their timing yet though)

All I can really think of now, are the moving platforms, and maybe some drop blocks, something that appears stable until you stand on it, then it'll drop away after you've touched it. I've been scouring megaman and mario games for different platform ideas. Any more ideas would be hugely appreciated. Here's my cap so far, anyone interested in telling me if I'm doing things efficiently or if I'm doing them more complicated...ly? than I need to? I'd really appreciate it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4075855/Brent%27s%20Platformer%20-%20Ground%20Types.cap

(edit)

By the way, with the vertical moving platform bug, I tried setting them to solid instead of platform, and they now work fine it seems. Granted you can't jump through them, but that's more a level design hiccup than anything I think. So far so good. The Vertical works fine, the horizontal works fine, I can get the up/right angle working, and the up/left, and the circle works as well

• Using Solid instead of Platform should work okay as long as you remember not to put your solid moving plats where they can squish your player.

• Yah, that's a level design consideration for sure. So I can get the circle platforms working using the orbit behaviour, but is there anyway to do it with 2 sine behaviours? I don't like needing to place an object to orbit for every circle platform I use

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Nevermind, I figured it out, I really need to stop using up forum posts by answering my own questions lol

• So I'm redoing a stage from Megaman II to test out my platforms and player control using a level I'm familiar with. I'm using the advanced camera plugin, but I want to set it so that when I transition from one camera zone, to another, the player can't go back. I tried destroying each zone as a transition is made, but it didn't work, perhaps I was trying to destroy it the wrong way. Any ideas?

• So I'm redoing a stage from Megaman II to test out my platforms and player control using a level I'm familiar with. I'm using the advanced camera plugin, but I want to set it so that when I transition from one camera zone, to another, the player can't go back. I tried destroying each zone as a transition is made, but it didn't work, perhaps I was trying to destroy it the wrong way. Any ideas?

Make an invisible solid and put it in the way so the player can't go back at all?

• I'd thought to try that, but there are vertical sections that when the invisible barrier comes up, suddenly limit the players ability to jump. I want to player to be able to jump normally once the camera zone has changed and not suddenly have an invisible ceiling. That definitely works for horizontal sections though.

• I'd thought to try that, but there are vertical sections that when the invisible barrier comes up, suddenly limit the players ability to jump. I want to player to be able to jump normally once the camera zone has changed and not suddenly have an invisible ceiling. That definitely works for horizontal sections though.

private variable controlling the players ability to jump or not, switch it on to disable jumping, off to allow it, or something along those lines?

• Pretty sure he means he wants to be able to jump past the top of the current zone freely (as in, off the screen), but not go traipsing back to the previous zone.

Which could be done with clever level design.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/529356/oneWayCameraZones.cap

v0.99.84

Which is an adaptation of this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/529356/cameraZones.cap

version Unknown (old, though)

• You got it Deadeye, thats exactly what I want. Unfortunately I can't seem to open either of those caps though.

I'm also running into a problem with my physics blocks, I've got it set so that the player can shoot them with a bullet object and make them fall apart accordingly, it works great. Then I've got it so that once a block has been shot, it can't be shot again, by setting it's collision mode to none, that way the graphic can still be onscreen without getting in the players way. But, I'd also like to be able to make the block react to landing in water, ie sinking slower than it was falling. But because I've turned the collision mode off, it no longer recognizes the water. And when I leave the collision on and use the block hitting a solid to turn it off, I get an error from the bullet/physics block collision event. Here's my cap, it uses the advanced camera plugin, so it may not open properly for all

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4075855/Brent%27s%20Platformer%20-%20Ground%20Types.cap

• is there any kind of wait command I can use to work with the timing of events, for example, I have an object that I want to have "see" the player, using LOS behaviour, Change it's animation immediately, then wait for say 1000ms, fire a shot, wait another 1000ms, then change it's animation back to the original, then wait 1000ms and do it all over again. Any ideas?

• is there any kind of wait command I can use to work with the timing of events, for example, I have an object that I want to have "see" the player, using LOS behaviour, Change it's animation immediately, then wait for say 1000ms, fire a shot, wait another 1000ms, then change it's animation back to the original, then wait 1000ms and do it all over again. Any ideas?

The wait object.

• I must be blind because I can't seem to find where it is. It's an object like a sprite or text box?

• I must be blind because I can't seem to find where it is. It's an object like a sprite or text box?

Yep, scroll down, it's under Other (next to Timeline (or Unix time if you have that) and Webcam).

• Under Other, all I have is:

AVI

Date

Function

IK Solver 2 (whatever that is...)

Layout

Timeline

Webcam

I tried doing a search for Wait in the add object window and got nothing. I'm using version 0.99.62.

Is is there a new version out perhaps?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)