Castlevania Style Platformer

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Slot Machine Games. suitable for workers who work from home because it has player names that must be played alternately
  • By the way, if anyone needs any tips or pointers on music theory/digital music production, or just looking for some music for their games, pm me, here's an example of one the songs I'm trying to finish up, it's my own song, as an example of sound quality.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4075855/The%20Fireskies%20Of%20Terra%20Ultima%20-%2004%20-%20The%20Day%20I%20Ran%20Away.mp3

I can do symphonic stuff, acoustic stuff, atmospheric stuff, rock stuff, not very good with electronic music though, but willing to give it a try

• By the way, if anyone needs any tips or pointers on music theory/digital music production, or just looking for some music for their games, pm me, here's an example of one the songs I'm trying to finish up, it's my own song, as an example of sound quality.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4075855/The%20Fireskies%20Of%20Terra%20Ultima%20-%2004%20-%20The%20Day%20I%20Ran%20Away.mp3

I can do symphonic stuff, acoustic stuff, atmospheric stuff, rock stuff, not very good with electronic music though, but willing to give it a try

That's really good. I do happen to need some very good quality music (no singing). I'm usually in chat if you fancy a challenge.

• Of course, you can do a lot more without having to bother with a lot of that stuff by using Linkman's camera plugin. It's awesome.

Also, that's some sweet music! I might consider asking for some tunes, if I need it.

• Of course, you can do a lot more without having to bother with a lot of that stuff by using Linkman's camera plugin. It's awesome.

Also, that's some sweet music! I might consider asking for some tunes, if I need it.

I'm surprised no one mentioned that earlier..

• Looks good.

I forgot to mention earlier that when you use separate layouts for each room, you get easy control over what's on VRAM, so you can load only the enemies that are in that room, while if you had all rooms in a single layout you'd need to fit ALL GRAPHICS at once in VRAM. Which is unlikely for a game with high res 2D sprites.

• Just downloaded the plugin and gonna play with it today, if it works it could make my life a lot easier lol, and judging from the examples it came with, it should work just fine

• http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4075855/The%20Fireskies%20Of%20Terra%20Ultima%20-%2004%20-%20The%20Day%20I%20Ran%20Away.mp3

That was totally awesome!

I do need music for a game

but I need graphics too T_T

• just an fyi, I'm not saying that you have to make huge layouts with lots of interconnecting areas, but if you have a need for sectioning off parts of your level then this is one way to do it. Castlevania games have single-screen rooms and short connecting hallways all the time, the method I posted is just fine for making those kinds of things.

Parts of levels are sectioned off in other games like Mega Man, Metroid, etc. In fact, I would say this method is probably perfect for Mega Man type scrolling, you would just have to add in some auto-scroll events to transition to the next room. And I really don't think it would be more efficient to have each little section of, for example, a Mega Man level (but also to some extent Castlevania as well) in it's own layout.

As for resetting enemies, make some enemy spawner objects in your level and spawn them when you walk into a new section and destroy them when you leave, or... oh hell, just do whatever you want. I don't care, why am I even trying to defend this?

Wheeeee, internet! What's on YouTube?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Haha, so many options...

I like the camera plugin posted above, though I haven't had much time to play with it yet, but I definitely like the idea of having multiple rooms in a single layout, makes life easier, but I also like the idea of having different layouts with many rooms, for things like keeping enemies/gameplay elements sorted and tidy, so if I can get this camera plugin going, as well as figuring out how to get different layouts to read from global event sheets (which I still don't have the hang of yet, but I'll get it) then I think I may have my system, by the way, thanks for the comments on the music track, I'm willing to try doing pieces in pretty much any style, not saying they'll be good in each style, but I'll try, just go ahead and pm me if you have something you'd like me to attempt for you, and has anyone had a chance to check out that first cap I posted? I'd love to know if I'm a) doing things efficiently, b) organizing things well, c) missing anything obvious to help improve.

• Here's a couple questions, is there any way to have particle death's be a triggered event (i.e. collision with an object), is there anyway to have particle deaths be a trigger for events (i.e. spawning an object at it's death location?

The Libertine is just ending on Bravo as I ask these questions, holy cow, awesome movie.

• No, particles have no collision ability, and individual particles can't be controlled with events. You can control the particle object itself, but not the particles it spawns.

If you need particles that collide with things then you can always create your own particle system using sprites. It's not as efficient as a particle object, but at least you can control them however you want.

• Hmmm, make my own particle system...interesting.

• Really all you have to do is spawn a bunch of little sprites in a loop and set their direction/speed/etc. at random.

• or... oh hell, just do whatever you want. I don't care, why am I even trying to defend this?

lol been there

• Might there be a chance that those features could be added to the particle plugin in the future, they'd be super useful, at least I think they would be

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)