canvas, erase and hall of mirrors/smearing problem

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Pixel Destruction like in "Worms" (Drawing Canvas based)
  • Hi guys!

Been using Construct for a few days, and quietly reading many forum posts as I went along. I did plan on my first post being along the lines of "So what's the catch?" and then go on about how great this program is and there must be some catch like it's just a demo and we have to fork out $9000 a month for it or something But I've stumbled across an issue that this time I can't solve myself or from hunting through the wiki or these forum posts, so gushing about how cool the program is, will have to wait.

I put together this super quick example to demonstrate the problems I'm having with it.

The plan is to only allow access through the "rock" once it's been cut away. That part isn't a problem, works exactly how it should. Unfortunately there are bits of the weapon and bits of the eraser left hanging around on screen from where the rock has been erased, not only that but then moving through the newly opened area results in a weird hall of mirrors like smearing effect or something. I've tried a number of things, layers, organizing the events different and so on and so forth, but to do it how I'm wanting to do it, it seems to become a bit messy.

The second problem is no matter what size or resolution I make the canvas, it seems to want to remove a whole chunk of it from off-screen. As you'll see in the cap, it should reach to the end, but it doesn't. This isn't noticeable if it's all on the same screen or there's no scrolling used, but if it can only work in a single visible screen, that greatly limits usefulness.

So yeah, anyone got any ideas or fixes? It almost works perfectly, but these two issues make it entirely unusable doing it this way.

I've checked out the one here where I got the idea from. Doing it that way with a mouse behavior on the eraser does work, as in it doesn't leave bits of other sprites on the screen. But it too doesn't solve the canvas deleting parts of itself off-screen, or the smearing scrolling effect.

So if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong or can suggest a way to fix it, I'd be very grateful.

The link again is *

I'm using the latest version of Construct, if that helps.

• 1. Get dropbox, because I can't download the cap from your file host. And, dropbox is the the best hosting solution on the internet.

[quote:18x3amjw]The second problem is no matter what size or resolution I make the canvas, it seems to want to remove a whole chunk of it from off-screen. As you'll see in the cap, it should reach to the end, but it doesn't. This isn't noticeable if it's all on the same screen or there's no scrolling used, but if it can only work in a single visible screen, that greatly limits usefulness.

So yeah, anyone got any ideas or fixes? It almost works perfectly, but these two issues make it entirely unusable doing it this way.

I've checked out the one here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=971 where I got the idea from. Doing it that way with a mouse behavior on the eraser does work, as in it doesn't leave bits of other sprites on the screen. But it too doesn't solve the canvas deleting parts of itself off-screen, or the smearing scrolling effect.

So if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong or can suggest a way to fix it, I'd be very grateful.

This is a bug, which I forgot to post to the tracker... Posting now.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • 1. Get dropbox, because I can't download the cap from your file host. And, dropbox is the the best hosting solution on the internet.

[quote:2gxiz042]The second problem is no matter what size or resolution I make the canvas, it seems to want to remove a whole chunk of it from off-screen. As you'll see in the cap, it should reach to the end, but it doesn't. This isn't noticeable if it's all on the same screen or there's no scrolling used, but if it can only work in a single visible screen, that greatly limits usefulness.

I've checked out the one here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=971 where I got the idea from. Doing it that way with a mouse behavior on the eraser does work, as in it doesn't leave bits of other sprites on the screen. But it too doesn't solve the canvas deleting parts of itself off-screen, or the smearing scrolling effect.

This is a bug, which I forgot to post to the tracker... Posting now.

Yeah, it's still doing the removing parts of the canvas, even if using a few tiles, then randomly just removing a chunk of the canvas even if it's all on screen at once. The first problem, with the hall of mirrors / smearing effect when scrolling, and the left over garbage, both seem to be fixable by adding an always destroy the eraser sprite (along with the one to destroy it once it's spawned by the bullet), so I suppose the always one is just taking care of any that get forgotten.

If the bug part gets fixed then that'll be awesome!

• I ran into the same problem:

If you put an "Erase" effect on a canvas object, and paste it on another canvas, the "erase canvas" wont erase the other canvas offscreen.

Someone care to fix this problem?

• The Canvas object in Construct Classic uses the gpu to grab those textures, so basically it can't grab what doesn't exist in the gpu.

Also ancient topic is ancient, and sadly op is likely in that big devkit in the sky.

• Might be able to use R0J0hounds' Texture Setter plugin if canvas renders after sprites do (or maybe R0J0hounds' plugin renders after canvas?), maybe that will help?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)