Z-Depth and meshes and effects and well.. anything

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
A very simple to set up ZElevation based depth of field system for your game. Fully commented.
  • HELLO. I don't really bother with the forum much these days since the IRC channel is generally busy, except right now, lol. So figured I'd make a post here about these problems.

So yeah, anyone know fixes to the following?

Effects don't work/don't work correctly when used on anything that has a z-depth other than it's default 0.

Meshes don't sort correctly at times, regardless of their z-depth.

Meshes with transparent textures not correctly showing meshes behind them (only 100% transparency seems to work properly unless using a layer per mesh).

Graphic errors at edges of distorted mesh (colored pixels where no pixels should be visible (transparent pixels).

Canvas doesn't work if using z-depth.

Sprites will sometimes refuse to render when using z-depth on them and appearing on a 3D layer or above it, and sometimes will work. Other times they'll work on regular layers above 3D layers, sometimes they don't. But when they do, obviously there's no sorting in those cases and clipping occurs.

Yes I have had layers set as 3D and not 3D, I've sacrificed goats, deflowered virgins and wiped out entire Amazonian tribes, but none of them have helped.

I know I can fake most of what I'm doing (at the expense of huge amounts of VRAM). But it would be nice to be able to do it properly, or at least know how to get these tools to work correctly.

Can anyone help?

• there's alot of zdepth and 3d mesh problems, I've posted the transparency ones and the ones where it disappears near the edges of the screen, and I think I may have posted the effects one as well to the tracker

you should report the other stuff you mentioned to the bug tracker

the z stuff is the stuff I'm most excited about, my whole game is gonna be full of z_ness

• there's alot of zdepth and 3d mesh problems, I've posted the transparency ones and the ones where it disappears near the edges of the screen, and I think I may have posted the effects one as well to the tracker

you should report the other stuff you mentioned to the bug tracker

the z stuff is the stuff I'm most excited about, my whole game is gonna be full of z_ness

Same, I know exactly how I want things to look and having the z-depth is an important factor in doing it properly.

The frustrating part is it's SO CLOSE to being just right and working great. The ones you posted are the ones I really need to be working, I can fake/live without the others for the time being, even though effects not working when used with z-depth is annoying.

Hopefully David or Ashley will reply and give a timeframe on the possibility of them being fixed, cause I can't swap the artwork around once its done.

Would be awesome if it's all fixed and working in the next version, but I've heard nothing about this side of things.

• Hopefully David or Ashley will reply and give a timeframe on the possibility of them being fixed, cause I can't swap the artwork around once its done.

It's been my experience that the devs don't offer up timeframes. Either it's done or it's not. As long as it's on the tracker the best you can do is hope it's made it into the next build.

Cross your fingers, but don't hold your breath . There's a lot of stuff to work through, still.

• > Hopefully David or Ashley will reply and give a timeframe on the possibility of them being fixed, cause I can't swap the artwork around once its done.

>

It's been my experience that the devs don't offer up timeframes. Either it's done or it's not. As long as it's on the tracker the best you can do is hope it's made it into the next build.

Cross your fingers, but don't hold your breath . There's a lot of stuff to work through, still.

Here's hoping the wink has hidden meaning and the next version is all hunky dory!

• Yeah, as lucid said, have a look at what the existing bugs cover on the tracker, and add bugs for any which aren't covered, and I'll take a look at some point. I remember the effects + Z elevation one though, and last time I investigated, I couldn't figure out what was wrong...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yeah, as lucid said, have a look at what the existing bugs cover on the tracker, and add bugs for any which aren't covered, and I'll take a look at some point. I remember the effects + Z elevation one though, and last time I investigated, I couldn't figure out what was wrong...

Had a look at it looks like the main things are up there, the others I imagine would fix themselves in the process.

I could get layer effects to work with z-depth being used though, so I dunno what's causing it either.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)