event printing and copy text

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Change delay, create new lines, "backspace" the text
  • im not aware of any good print method for printing out the eventcode,

also the text copy doesn't work very good

if there was a better copy function, you could optimize, plan and improve code in a text editor

• You do realize that the code does not translate BACK from text right.... You cant copy text and make it events.... I find it better to actually draw my code rather than type it...

• Still, it would be nice if the Copy as Text formatting was cleaned up a bit:

buttonHover: 26 buttonHover:  Value 'click' Equal to 0

buttonHoverTextSet text to "Unselected"[/code:17dichlu]

It's got repeat stuff, numbers that make no sense (I think they might be the UIDs), missing spaces, etc. Not exactly a high priority though, I would guess.

• Last I checked you can't perform Copy as Text on multiple events either, making it basically useless for all purposes.

You also can't toggle multiple events at the same time, which is annoying every once in a while.

• Yeah, copy to text has some problems. I'll see if I can have a quick look over it.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You do realize that the code does not translate BACK from text right.... You cant copy text and make it events.... I find it better to actually draw my code rather than type it...

That would be interesting if you could do that, but I bet there would be some issues with unknown objects, behaviors, pv's, etc

• well yeah i was thinking about that too, maybe it could work , if all unkown data would mark it at such and then you create it by replacing it or creating it.

that said, i would just like to export everything to text, so i can print, review and maybe expand on it by using the right syntax so then i can concentrate on putting it all into construct , i feel that making the events can sometimes take you out of the flow

• maybe it could work , if all unkown data would mark it at such and then you create it by replacing it or creating it.

Yea, but I think that's kind of the entire reason for why it doesn't work; Making that is a lot of work/testing/headaches/impossible? with the current code.

• It really would not work at all if you were typing in events. The entire point of constructs events is to have a VISUAL representation of the code on screen not text. If you want text based code then learn action script and use libraries and such to make development easier. I see a reason for the for your wanting to print out text but I don't think it is a must fix.

• the first point was just an idea, and dont see why it absolutly wouldn't work, and wouldn't have to type it in, just copy it from existing things, to me the eventcode is still a bunch of text/code with a different formatting

what makes it so different is that there a so many existing functions to use that are directed to games and easy to understand,

the ability to translate text to code would just speed up the creating of that code, but then again, so would import eventsheets or a faster way to add them

ow yeah .. i think exporting to text is a must fix

• ow yeah .. i think exporting to text is a must fix

there are much better things to spend time fixing at the moment. Such as 3d box, physics collisions.

• [quote:uylv9jgy]and dont see why it absolutly wouldn't work

The reason that wouldn't work is because so much of the information in events is object-specific. If you had a bunch of copied text events and pasted them into a cap's event sheet, what guarantee do you have that the objects in the event exist in that cap?

And how would you handle typos? Or improper formatting? Construct events don't worry about such things, because you can't have a typo in an event (an expression, yes, but not the event itself), and it's not possible to format the event improperly. The only errors a user can really make with events are logical errors.

So to get pasted text to translate into events, you would need to add all sorts of functionality to Construct not only to parse text, but to check that there are no missing objects, check that the events are formatted properly, give back errors for typos and formatting and missing objects, etc. Basically you would have to re-write the entire event system from the ground up to handle all of that.

So could it have worked? Yeah, if it had been designed that way from the beginning. But it's so fundamentally different to what Construct is now that it's really just impossible.

But... apparently C2 will use XML, so I guess you'll be able to type until your heart is content, if that is your choice .

• Importing events from text sounds suspiciously like a scripting language, which is not the purpose of events. It is kind of crazy how events exported as text are formatted, that could use some work, since it would be useful to post events to forums and such.

• i guess my real problem with the eventeditor is how events are added and managed, it feels so bloathed, like changing an object in the actions, you need to backtrack you steps to change it, then again go over the events you put in and then you changed your object, pheww..

and also for example when you have an always event it would be nice if you could highlight this en just write first letter of for example every milisecond > enter > type milisecond > enter> done

and in this context i thought importing text would be an idea to speed things up, but yeah a different aproach would be better, but all this cannot be done/changed for construct1 , i get it

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)