big/large projects

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
  • They said that 2.0's file format would be xml-based... I wonder if it also means that layouts could be natively exported into separate files and imported in edit-time or even runtime... It would help greatly with this sorts of things, and of course, with collaboration.

• (...) the level editor (...) Make one or don't, I guess.

Where could I find documentation about it? Couldn't find it on the Construct Wiki...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Uh... are you talking about the one I made for my game? Because there is no documentation... it's all in my head

Anyway, if Aeal doesn't beat me to it I might make up a map-file-loading tutorial some time soon.

• Uh... are you talking about the one I made for my game? Because there is no documentation... it's all in my head

Anyway, if Aeal doesn't beat me to it I might make up a map-file-loading tutorial some time soon.

A "level editor' in general.

I'll wait for a tutorial to arrive sometime. Thanks.

I'm also interested to receive an answer to my question in my first post:

"I think the limit of the size of a game is set by the computer's hardware the game is supposed to work on, or the Construct user.

Correct?"

• I didn't say time, I said hassle. Do you really want to have to deal 100+ layouts in your game?

I think for a lot of big games, that'll be the obvious choice. I mean, you could create an event that'd load in an ini file that in turn would load in all the graphics, but does that really matter?

I'm currently only prototyping, but already have like 15 layouts done - I'm pretty sure I'll have to deal with 100 layouts sooner or later. Especially since each layout is coupled with its own timelines and events.

• I thought I had answered but...

It depends not so much on the hardware, but on how many animations/how big each frame is (in pixels) and how many unique sprites you wish to use.

if the game is going to be like A Link to the Past, which had about 1/2 different tree types rocks etc. at a modest resolution, than you would most likely be okay.

However, if you had a bunch of different characters at high resolutions with many animations/frames, than you will quickly use up the VRAM.

The way construct works right now is by loading ALL graphics into VRAM on start.

There are ways of outsmarting this (like replacing a seldom used frame with another image at run-time[yes, this does indeed work .])

I wouldn't suggest a super big project, but I'm nearing the completion of a moderate-to-big project, and i'm only using about 97.0 VRAM (i'm using pretty high resolution character sprites IE: 512x512)

Try putting in all the graphic assets you would most likely be using (or similar graphics from another game/project) and check your VRAM (using the debugger)

This is a good way of seeing if your assets will be viable.

I hope I was of some help.

*note: you don't HAVE to build a level editor to save VRAM, but it will help you get the most out of your graphics, even if you don't think so right now)

Excuse me if I said anything stupid but I only got 3 hours and 15 min. sleep last night

• ansmesnobod, thanks for your reply. It's useful.

• "(like replacing a seldom used frame with another image at run-time[yes, this does indeed work .])"

Could you expand on how this works? I'm curious on that, thanks.

• What would a bad/good amount of vram usage be, for a higher resolution game?

• Well, look at the market... graphic cards are in the range of 128MB-512MB VRAM, but quite a few older cards are still stuck at 64MB.

A good solution would be to load on demand; only put in VRAM whatever is needed immediately.

• With the per-layout VRAM controls coming soon I'd think a safe limit would be about 30-40mb a layout. This should run on literally any computer, no matter how old. If you really have to push it, then 80-90 would generally be fine, but I don't think with the new controls many games will hit this .

• With the per-layout VRAM controls coming soon I'd think a safe limit would be about 30-40mb a layout. This should run on literally any computer, no matter how old. If you really have to push it, then 80-90 would generally be fine, but I don't think with the new controls many games will hit this .

Don't. Challenge. Me.

• I don't know, I can see that it's saving me a hassle. I guess it might be different for other people. But it was maybe three days of work or so to create the level editor and now I don't have to worry about it, so... yeah. Make one or don't, I guess.

Yeah I see what you mean, I'm just not sure if I should use one as construct can just import event sheets anyway.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)