Advanced Camera Plugin (Updated: 09/21 - v0.93b)

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Set of 21 Food plus 6 boards, for different kind of games
  • [quote:2mmzlwph]You can use the plugin however you want, commercial or otherwise, but a mention in the credits would be appreciated.

For sure! If any project will be released, of course

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks !

This is so useful, I think.

Should this be included in Construct? Yes! I think

• I've made a new cap and added 1 box, with bullet bahaviour (speed: 50).

Put it in the right corner.

start layout
    create camera "test" at Box.X, Box.Y. Zoom 300, 300. Angle 0. Follow
    camera "test": follow Box. Offset of 0 at 0 degrees. Lag: 50[/code:supdc7yh]
    When I run this, the camera goes to the middle of the screen and does nothing.

Is it possible to let the camera (with or without the plugin) zoom in onto an object (moving or not), that is situated at the right bottom corner?
  • Holy crap! That "grid movement" thing... it's like Mega Man, or Metroid! O_O Awesome! I'm SO using this.

Is it possible to make a camera transition from one room to another that's more subtle? It's hard to describe, but I'll give you an example, since this whole thing is giving me very Metroid-like ideas. Say you come to a wall, a dead-end... or so it seems. Beyond that wall, the room continues onward, but you have to know to blow away parts of the wall to get through. In Metroid, it wouldn't be so much a "room" transition, but rather, the camera would continue to follow you beyond that point. It would kinda be following behind, and you'd be sort of at the edge of the screen as you continue on. ...Kinda hard to explain... damnit...

• hmm... how to use shake effect? Any cap examples or just some hints?

• Holy crap! That "grid movement" thing... it's like Mega Man, or Metroid! O_O Awesome! I'm SO using this.

(convoluted explanation) . ...Kinda hard to explain... damnit...

Thanks. I think I get where you're going. I think this is more something that will have to be handled by the developer rather than the plugin. I'll try and pull together an example CAP.

hmm... how to use shake effect? Any cap examples or just some hints?

It's all pretty straightforward. Assuming you have a camera setup and being followed, all you have to do is use the "Shake" action and fill in the required fields: Camera(the camera you want to shake), Strength(the strength of the camera shake), Drop off(the time at which the shake starts to lessen), Duration(the amount of total time that the shake takes), and Smoothness(Basically allows you to have less rugged shakes).

I hope that helps. I would have pulled together an example file, but I only have the latest version of Construct(v0.99.7), and I don't know what you have.

• Been a while but here's a small update. It would have been out sooner, but I was having some problems with SDK corruption or something.

Advanced Camera Plugin - v0.9b

Download Now(with example) - 149KB

Additions/Fixes/Changes

[ADD] - "Bind to layout" property added under the "Properties" section in the object. This will bind all cameras to the inside of the layout, compensating for zoom. If you're using grid scrolling, it's recommended that you leave this disabled as it can interfere when zoomed in. Per-camera binding may come at some point.

[CHANGE] - Unbounded scrolling is now enabled by default through the plugin. This should help alleviate the problems that arise from people not realizing it needs to be enabled in some cases. If you want the camera bound to the layout, see above.

And there it is. Due to needing to be ported over to a fresh copy of the SDK, some things might not work, but I've checked for compatibility and I couldn't find any problems. Nevertheless, be sure to report any problems you do find!

• Time for another update!

Advanced Camera Plugin - v0.91b

LINK REMOVED UNTIL PLUGIN IS FIXED

Additions/Fixes/Changes:

[ADD] - When setting a camera to follow an object with the "Follow Object" action, you can specify margins which create an invisible box around the object being followed. The camera won't scroll until the followed object passes beyond these invisible borders. All margin values are relative to the center of the screen. Margins are only available when following one object.

[ADD] - "Set Margins" action. This sets the margins for the aforementioned invisible box.

[CHANGE] - I switched all of the internal values that people never see to double-precision floating-point values. While this probably won't have a noticeable impact, it provides theoretical speed increases.

NOTE: This adds four parameters to the "Follow object" action, meaning any instances of this action will have non-existent values for these parameters until values are added. Everything should work fine, but to be on the safe side, edit any instances of this action and click "Finish". This will assign default values to these four parameters.

And there it is. As usual, leave any comments, feature requests, or bug reports here.

Have fun.

• Time for another update!

Advanced Camera Plugin - v0.91b

Fixed your link.

• Blah, thanks for pointing that out.

• The ACDemo example doesn't seem to move the camera at all, and the ACExamples file crashes Construct when I try to run it.

Running 99.82 here.

You also seem to have left a lot of backup example files in the Zip.

Krush.

• I can't get it to work. I'm using version 0.99.82.

I have this:

Start of Layout

Create Camera with 100 for each margin

Camera follow Player (no offset)

It does an offset to the left and above of the player (by 100 pixels each direction) and seems to use unbounded scrolling even though that isn't turned on for the layout (I checked).

• The ACDemo example doesn't seem to move the camera at all, and the ACExamples file crashes Construct when I try to run it.

Running 99.82 here.

You also seem to have left a lot of backup example files in the Zip.

Krush.

Blah, this isn't my day. The ACDemo and backup files were put in there by accident, so pay them no heed. Doesn't change the fact that my plugin is once again a broken piece of crap though. I'm taking the download links down until I've sorted out the issue.

I can't get it to work. I'm using version 0.99.82.

I have this:

Start of Layout

> Create Camera with 100 for each margin

> Camera follow Player (no offset)

It does an offset to the left and above of the player (by 100 pixels each direction) and seems to use unbounded scrolling even though that isn't turned on for the layout (I checked).

All margin values are relative to the center of the screen, meaning the top and left margins should be negative values. I'll probably change that at some point so it's less confusing.

As for the unbounded scrolling, the plugin -- as of 0.9b -- automatically enables the feature so less people have problems with rotation and zooming when it's disabled. You can bind the camera to the layout by checking the "Bind to layout" checkbox in the properties pane.

• Doesn't change the fact that my plugin is once again a broken piece of crap though.

It may be broken, but it's certainly not crap mate.

Don't give up.

This is a great plugin.

Krush.

• That fixed it, thanks.

BTW, if you leave "Center view on me" checked, it breaks the margins (expected) but also turns unbounded scrolling back on (even with Bind to Layout). Just something to remember if someone tries it out and it does that.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 2 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 2 guests)