(iOS) Sidecar Split - 1000 downloads!

0 favourites
  • Hello all,

I have just released Sidecar Split for iOS and I was hoping that you guys would have a go (and maybe leave a nice review if you like it?). Simply tap to split and tap again to recombine, trying to avoid all the cars, police and even tanks!

iOS: Apple App Store

Or just play it on the Scirra arcade: Scirra Arcade (really appreciate some feedback/ratings here too). There seems to be an error on iOS devices (pretty ironic) on the arcade, so it only works for PC right now.

EDIT: Just coming up to over 1000 downloads! Woot woot!

• Had to reupload to publish a leaderboard. Here is the new link: https://www.scirra.com/arcade/action-ga ... plit-21211

• Nice project, fun too! Congrats on the release.

Would be curious, if you don't mind talking about it, how you set up the procedural progression of 'encounters'?

• Nice project, fun too! Congrats on the release.

Would be curious, if you don't mind talking about it, how you set up the procedural progression of 'encounters'?

Hello there!

Thanks for your compliments facecrime. And yes, I would be happy to discuss the setup - perhaps it would be easier if you could clarify exactly the progressional element you are interested in?

Thanks for you interest!

Scott

• Your the selection of placed obstacles seem to take their predecessors into account, like no double police cars in sequence on the same lane, or in general the e increasing frequency of lane changes. I'd like to know how the obstacle placement is controlled to create increasing difficulty but also avoid repetition (if it does).

I can think of ways to query these things, but i was wondering if you had a particular setup to handle it efficiently?

• Your the selection of placed obstacles seem to take their predecessors into account, like no double police cars in sequence on the same lane, or in general the increasing frequency of lane changes. I'd like to know how the obstacle placement is controlled to create increasing difficulty but also avoid repetition (if it does).

I can think of ways to query these things, but i was wondering if you had a particular setup to handle it efficiently?

Ah yes I see. This was probably the biggest challenge to overcome - to make sure that there was always a path for the racer to pass whatever the difficulty. This may be quite difficult to explain without sharing the capx. I'm afraid I only really used a brute force technique, covering all spawning situations (e.g. if a police car is in the left lane, only spawn cars in the right lane, so there is still a path for the motorbike to pass in the middle.) The basic setup of the spawning is documented below.

Overall, as the time went on there was not too much increasing of the frequency of lane changes, apart from a few more challenging (e.g. roadblocks including tanks) obstacle sets being introduced as your score increases. Disregarding this small contributor, the only reason why the game gets more difficult is really due to the increase in the motorbike's speed.

All of the obstacles spawning is done with timers. Every (10 x (1 / motorbike speed)) seconds, the game attempts to spawn a car in a random lane. Then, every X seconds, the game attempts to spawn a roadblock or a police car. This is also done in a random lane in a random combination. The game does not detect if there has been repetition or anything like that, it just uses a random timer and then a lot of if conditions to ensure the cars appear randomly yet still allowing a way through.

For the most complicated of combinations, I simply laid it out exactly how I wanted it to appear:

This is only a small snapshot of the code (>1500 lines in total!), so it will still be difficult to understand.

Please ask if you need help with this knowledge drop!

• Thank you for the detailed response! Gives me a good idea of how you did it.

This kind of system is the most interesting thing when making randomized/procedural games.

I occasionally ponder trying my hand at this kind of thing, but I never quite get around to it.

Hope you have a good ad system in place, I think that's where the most revenue can be generated with this sort of project.

Thanks again for sharing, and good luck

• Thank you for the detailed response! Gives me a good idea of how you did it.

This kind of system is the most interesting thing when making randomized/procedural games.

I occasionally ponder trying my hand at this kind of thing, but I never quite get around to it.

Hope you have a good ad system in place, I think that's where the most revenue can be generated with this sort of project.

Thanks again for sharing, and good luck

facecrime No problem at all - thanks for you interest! I am actually making no profit from this game - for my first one I wanted to just get it out there completely free to see if I could do it!

I would really appreciate if you could leave a nice rating and/or comment on Sidecar Split on the arcade - feedback really helps me improve my gamedev skills as well as getting my game out there!!

Thanks,

Scott

• Nice concept!

• Nice concept!

Cheers sizcoz! Any feedback is much appreciated.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Cool game - I'm ranked 7th on it on iOS

One thing that you could do is fix this bug in the Scirra arcade on mobile, where the layout goes all weird if on iOS. Anyway, still a great job my friend!

• Cool game - I'm ranked 7th on it on iOS

One thing that you could do is fix this bug in the Scirra arcade on mobile, where the layout goes all weird if on iOS. Anyway, still a great job my friend!

Thanks very much - good job! Am still trying to get that bug fixed, but might have to wait for the new Construct 3 arcade to come out. We will see!

• ThePakernator cool game! I loved it!

Good performance, how did you export the game? Standard exporter of the Construct 3?

• ThePakernator cool game! I loved it!

Good performance, how did you export the game? Standard exporter of the Construct 3?

Thanks very much. I used the iOS and Android exporter in Construct 3 to export it to Xcode and Android Studio respectively.

• Nicety done, I like the police light hints, it's a good touch. Good luck it with it! I played for a little bit and then... tanks! Haha, nice little twist. Very clean art and good sound fx.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)