Updates to Russian translation — Feedback required!

• Hi! I am a russian-speaking indie developer and recently I decided to give the russian translation of Construct a try.

I found a lot of incorrectly translated terms, spelling mistakes and a pile of formatting flaws. Overall quality of the translation is far from being satisfying. Because of this, I have decided to correct the most obvious mistakes and translate new terms. This post is a small showcase of the work I've done so far.

I'm waiting for your opinion so I can be sure that the quality of new translations is good and I can continue to contribute to the russian translation. In particular, I would like to draw your attention to the «Timeline» plugin.

Timeline plugin translation

This one was hard to translate because of the very specific terminology. I've read russian documentations of the most popular video editing and animations software (Adobe Flash, Sony Vegas and others) many times just to find the most common and appropriate translations. Obviously, I've also consulted people who work with animation software to know their opinion about it :)

There are some important notes about certain terms, which you can find in POEditor, e.g. «property keyframe» doesn't mean the «property of the keyframe» (свойство кадра). It is a special type of keyframe, that affects property of instance (т.е. кадр свойства).

Adaptation

Some of the translations that I have edited were correct, however, they did not make much sense for russian users. For example, words «Landscape» and «Portrait» in russian mean the same thing as their english counterparts, but they are rarely used to describe screen orientations. Microsoft Windows uses «Album» (альбомная) and «Portrait» (портретная) instead of the words «Landscape» and «Portrait». That's why the decision to replace them with more common terms was made.

Encountered issues:

• Edit button cannot be translated to russian
    • Probably a mistake in original english translation (text.plugins.platforminfo.expressions.canvas-device-height.description)
    • Important note, not related with Construct: POEditor can erase your translations or automatically fill untranslated terms with previously entered translations

Feel free to leave feedback!

Timeline plugin translation is already available in the latest beta release, as well as other new translations. If you found a mistake or incorrect translation, or maybe you think that some terms should be translated differently, submit a new edit/comment in POEditor. Thanks in advance!

Russian translation backup

Stats

• Thanks for your work on the translation!

I fixed the canvas-device-height string typo, but I've no idea where the edit button you mentioned is in the UI. In general please file any such mistakes as bugs to the tracker with details about where exactly they are, and we should be able to correct them quickly.

• Untranslated «Edit» button is placed in the properties bar. I've created a new bug report on GitHub with information about this issue (although I don't think that it's very important). This happens only with the Light and Dark themes, but I cannot be sure because they are not available in the free edition.

Thanks for taking the mentioned issues into account.

• Привет, allyoe3 !

Glad to see you here! Your translations are top quality. With so many people participating in translation, there is a mess with terminology and you are doing a very fine job fixing it.

I wish it was possible to create a dictionary of terms and their translations in POeditor, and somehow to force all translators to stick to it. Also, I think some sort of moderation is necessary. I've seen people replacing correct translations with wrong ones..

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Привет, allyoe3 !

Glad to see you here! Your translations are top quality. With so many people participating in translation, there is a mess with terminology and you are doing a very fine job fixing it.

I wish it was possible to create a dictionary of terms and their translations in POeditor, and somehow to force all translators to stick to it. Also, I think some sort of moderation is necessary. I've seen people replacing correct translations with wrong ones..

😎 Привет!

Many thanks for your input! I can say the same thing about your translations — they are top-notch!

Making a dictionary is a good idea. I also thought about making a topic with the most commonly used terms, however, I do not think that it's going to be useful since the translation is already finished. There are also not a lot of active contributors.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)