Stream with OBS or others a NW.js built game (win64)?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
five golem elements Sprites Sheet.Best for enemy or villain game characters.
  • It's absolutely, 100% a problem with the screen recording software. It's not Construct's or NW.js's fault. If screen recording software can't record the screen, it's not doing what it says on the tin. Their software is broken. If they claim it's not their fault, they are being negligent.

• It's absolutely, 100% a problem with the screen recording software. It's not Construct's or NW.js's fault. If screen recording software can't record the screen, it's not doing what it says on the tin. Their software is broken. If they claim it's not their fault, they are being negligent.

and I do agree with you that some part are being so, we both know it's not Construct's fault but still, I'm not wrong I assume saying, having more build options can also help finding better ways of doing things, and it will suit more some people.

As right now, I'm more about compiling and only using Electron rather than Nw.js, since they won't probably do anything about it, I needed to figure out somehow a way to counter this.

• It stands to reason that the most popular screen recorder will made in such a way that allows it to record a wide array of applications without issue (thus it's popularity).

It's argued that a C3 game compiled with NW.js is equal to Electron in every way, except for seemingly the ability to work with screen recorders.

I think it's logical to conclude that the fault lies with nw.js - the screen recorder works with the vast majority of programs but not nw.js, making nw.js an edge case, but it does work with Electron, which uses the same underlying technology.

It's fair to assume that nw.js either hasn't implemented something correctly, or Electron is going a step further in some way.

EDIT//

Despite all of this, it's more fair to argue that the onus to providing a successful software recording experience lies with the developer of the recording software, not the software being recorded.

• I think it's logical to conclude that the fault lies with nw.js - the screen recorder works with the vast majority of programs but not nw.js

Nope. It's the job of screen recording software to be able to record the screen.

• InsaneHawk Would you mind trying out the new window implementation of NWjs?

All you have to do is, use a more recent version and add the mentioned Chromium arg to your package manifest file. You will know that it works, if it displays native Chrome stuff after pressing "F11" to go into fullscreen mode. (This is currently a bug and will get patched out soon.)

As a side note, the mentioned multi-process architecture isn't the issue. I've done tests in the past when single processing was still working and it didn't help with the capture at all. Main reason for why I removed it from the Roundup, besides every 2nd update breaking the feature. It's something on the GPU side of NWjs that some, especially free recording software doesn't like.

I've had success with receiving an answer from the OBS team in the past and they pretty much just told me that, it's the user's responsibility to pick a working mode for recording/streaming and so on.

• InsaneHawk Would you mind trying out the new window implementation of NWjs?

All you have to do is, use a more recent version and add the mentioned Chromium arg to your package manifest file. You will know that it works, if it displays native Chrome stuff after pressing "F11" to go into fullscreen mode. (This is currently a bug and will get patched out soon.)

As a side note, the mentioned multi-process architecture isn't the issue. I've done tests in the past when single processing was still working and it didn't help with the capture at all. Main reason for why I removed it from the Roundup, besides every 2nd update breaking the feature. It's something on the GPU side of NWjs that some, especially free recording software doesn't like.

I've had success with receiving an answer from the OBS team in the past and they pretty much just told me that, it's the user's responsibility to pick a working mode for recording/streaming and so on.

Well, I've switched to Electron and I'm happy with it, I'll most likely don't go ever back on NW.js now.

Thing is, that I was stuck using an old version of NW.js because of their Greenworks plugin, which is forcing you to use a specific version of NW.js, in order to make it work (which obviously didn't work, since I had to find an alternative to it, being Electron (Overlay issues)

• > InsaneHawk Would you mind trying out the new window implementation of NWjs?

> All you have to do is, use a more recent version and add the mentioned Chromium arg to your package manifest file. You will know that it works, if it displays native Chrome stuff after pressing "F11" to go into fullscreen mode. (This is currently a bug and will get patched out soon.)

>

> As a side note, the mentioned multi-process architecture isn't the issue. I've done tests in the past when single processing was still working and it didn't help with the capture at all. Main reason for why I removed it from the Roundup, besides every 2nd update breaking the feature. It's something on the GPU side of NWjs that some, especially free recording software doesn't like.

>

> I've had success with receiving an answer from the OBS team in the past and they pretty much just told me that, it's the user's responsibility to pick a working mode for recording/streaming and so on.

Well, I've switched to Electron and I'm happy with it, I'll most likely don't go ever back on NW.js now.

Thing is, that I was stuck using an old version of NW.js because of their Greenworks plugin, which is forcing you to use a specific version of NW.js, in order to make it work (which obviously didn't work, since I had to find an alternative to it, being Electron (Overlay issues)

Hi, can you please share what other issues using electron over NWjs solved for you?

How did you get the steam overlay and achievements working on electron without greenworks?

• Hi, can you please share what other issues using electron over NWjs solved for you?

How did you get the steam overlay and achievements working on electron without greenworks?

Well, I had 2 major issues with NW.js, plus a side one that isn't really an issue but something that could be improved:

- Greenworks plugin, not working as it should even if you followed every single step from the documentation, Overlay broken, lack of features/functionnalities etc.. (and the fact that you were forced to use an old version of NW.js ... Sshhhh)

- The fact that you couldn't catch the window with a lot of recording softwares/streaming softwares.

- When you build your game, you have to "hack" your .exe to add your game's icon, numeric signature & credits attached to it, which isn't something you want to do on every single release...

The last 2 points where just fixed by using Electron instead on NW.js, and the first point, thanks to Armaldio + MikalDev from the Community Discord, that found solutions for Electron, working.

You may find all the information you want here: electronforconstruct.armaldio.xyz

• Thanks for the link, very useful, I will certainly give it a try!

I see in the documentation that it is also using the same greenwork plugin, which currently support NWjs up to 33.3 and electron up to 4.0 beta 7, which is also not the latest version available, you still depend on greenheart updates, which comes about twice a year.

I'm working with NWjs 33.3 with the latest greenwork plugin and I have no issues with steam overlay, achievements or window capture in OBS, though game capture doesn't work.

But i'm more intrigued by your statement "I've got better performances according to my tests" this enough is a good reason to switch.

Did you test it on linux as well?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks for the link, very useful, I will certainly give it a try!

I see in the documentation that it is also using the same greenwork plugin, which currently support NWjs up to 33.3 and electron up to 4.0 beta 7, which is also not the latest version available, you still depend on greenheart updates, which comes about twice a year.

I'm working with NWjs 33.3 with the latest greenwork plugin and I have no issues with steam overlay, achievements or window capture in OBS, though game capture doesn't work.

But i'm more intrigued by your statement "I've got better performances according to my tests" this enough is a good reason to switch.

Did you test it on linux as well?

I didn't test on linux, mainly windows to be honest, as I'm more focusing on that now, rather than linux.

Yea, seems like some people don't have issues with it, but I'm one of those that had some, for some reasons, you know, magic's happening sometimes.

You'll quickly see why it's better I suspect, because of many little improvement, and the progress being made by Armaldio, there's a lot of QoL things/features in it, even if building isn't as "fast" as the built-in editor nw.js but still, I think it's relevant :)

• I don't mind putting in the extra effort, I'm already managing my NWjs and greenworks builds manually :)

Thanks again for sharing the info, I'll give it a go.

• Headbang Games - I know this is a bit old, but just to mention, yes the current solutions for Steamworks integration rely on Greenworks. So that limits the updates to the api, however, for the *.node files, we started doing local compiles against newer versions of Electron (e.g 4.1) and now Armaldio has done some CI compiles and is providing prebuilt libraries for 4.1. The process is now also more automatic. I also created an extended Greenworks plugin that works with this - that has more features. The electron flow is under development, but Armaldio is making quick work of it and it's getting very mature, making the process more and more smooth.

Addon:

construct.net/en/make-games/addons/244/greengrinds

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)