[Solved] Why won't the webm video play in iOS?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Explainer Video Sound Kit is an out of the ordinary, comprehensive sound effects toolkit.
  • I have a small (1.9mb) video that I just can't seem to play on iOS.

The video plays fine on the PC, but never on the phone.

I've looked through the forums extensively but can't determine what is wrong.

Any thoughts?

Project file included. drive.google.com/file/d/1NEJbY3zLD-lHyjDajGRy8JGAYtyWlllQ/view

(I was a bit surprised that the webm video is 1.9mb, and the mp4 is 86mb - so I didn't go that route.)

Tagged:

• iOS doesn't support WebM video. You have to provide a .mp4 alternative.

• iOS doesn't support WebM video. You have to provide a .mp4 alternative.

Its a shame the video page doesn't mention compatibility in the compatibility section...

construct.net/en/make-games/manuals/construct-3/plugin-reference/video

Could save some people a lot of time trying to work through it.

• It's just above it, in the "Video formats" section.

• It's just above it, in the "Video formats" section.

Ahh.. I guess 'it is necessary to encode your videos in at least two formats.' is the catch there.

It would be nice to know however that iOS is not compatible with WebM considering the media sizing differences.

Eg:

WebM with VP8 or VP9 codec (.webm) (Not iOS compatible)

Ogg Theora (.ogv)

MPEG-4 with h.264 codec (.mp4)

Thanks for the prompt response. Have a great day.

"VIDEO FORMATS

As with audio, browser makers have not been able to agree on one video format that can play everywhere. As a result to guarantee that video playback will work on all browsers and on all platforms, it is necessary to encode your videos in at least two formats.

The Video plugin allows you to set three sources for a video in the following formats:

WebM with VP8 or VP9 codec (.webm)

Ogg Theora (.ogv)

MPEG-4 with h.264 codec (.mp4)

Browsers which support WebM usually also support Ogg Theora, so it is not necessary to specify both a WebM and Ogg Theora source. It should only be necessary to specify a h.264 source and either a WebM source or an Ogg Theora source. Since WebM is a newer and more advanced format than Ogg Theora, it is recommended to specify a WebM and h.264 source.

The Video plugin will prefer to play WebM first if supported and a source provided, Ogg Theora second, and h.264 last."

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Just as a follow up, I couldn't get the video to play in any format!

I wondered if the Mp4 was too large, but the Mac won't even play that one. The Mac will play the OGV file though.

As a secondary, safari on iOS won't even load the project on remote preview, Chrome will, but no video will play.

I tried each type independently as well as all together, none of which worked.

So I'm thinking that video & iOS aren't the way to go for me right now, I just wish I knew what doesn't work so I can work around it.

The file attached in the first post has been updated with all the video files (its now 100MB). No I wouldn't use it in a final version, but I was just trying to prove (unsuccessfully for me) that video works.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)