Columbo: Just one more thing...

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
Footsteps SFX One contains 400 sounds of steps and jumps on different surfaces.
  • I cannot get my game preview to play any of the audio. Not sound effects, nor music. Rarely, the sound effects will pop in. (Almost never.)

Putting music and sound in the game is pretty basic, and I just checked a tutorial for C3, to see that it still works the same as C2, so I have no idea why this is an issue.

Thank you again for your time and responses, in advance!

• Does the sound/music work when you open official game templates? For example, Kiwi Story?

• Does the sound/music work when you open official game templates? For example, Kiwi Story?

I just tried Kiwi Story, and it does have sound. I've considered just ripping out the audio entirely, and adding the plugin again. Adding sound effects isn't that big of a chore, but I thought maybe it's a setting somewhere...

• There are no settings afaik, but the format of audio files is important. Just see how everything is done in the template and replicate in your game.

• I even just tried taking out the audio plugin, put it back in, and set my music to play at the beginning of a level. Nada.

It's really weird, as it used to work fine. And sometimes does work, though rarely.

• Different browsers support different audio codecs. If your music is in ogg format for example, I believe it will not work in Safari. Also, the browser may require user input (touch/click/key press) to start playing audio.

• Different browsers support different audio codecs. If your music is in ogg format for example, I believe it will not work in Safari. Also, the browser may require user input (touch/click/key press) to start playing audio.

I have been using ogg files. So I will look into that. Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies. I will look into all of this!

• developers.google.com/web/updates/2018/11/web-audio-autoplay

Thanks! It seems that is the issue, as loading other games, like Kiwi Story, also have no music unless they load through their title screen/ES that sets up the sound.

Hopefully I'll have this figured out, soon!

• So I now know that it's google preventing my sound, and that if I click the browser with my mouse, I get the sound to play.

So now I have two issues: 1) I cannot figure out how to make the sound work, even looking at examples like Kiwi Story.

2) I have no idea how to change the preview browser to Firefox.

If anybody has a tutorial, or instructions on how to actually make sound play in Chrome, I would greatly appreciate it. Or at least a clue!

Really sorry to trouble others for this, but I just spent the whole night trying to figure this out, and those are many hours that I could have been working on my game, which I can't get back.

Thanks in advance again, to any who have a moment to help a clueless newber!

• Are you making a browser game? The most fail-proof method is to start playing music and other sounds only after a user input, for example you can put "Press any key" on your start screen and start music in "On key pressed" event.

In Construct 3 you need to use Remote Preview, if you want to preview in Firefox or some other browser.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Are you making a browser game? The most fail-proof method is to start playing music and other sounds only after a user input, for example you can put "Press any key" on your start screen and start music in "On key pressed" event.

In Construct 3 you need to use Remote Preview, if you want to preview in Firefox or some other browser.

I hadn't really planned to make a browser game, though I thought the demo might be a browser version. I guess you can upload non-browser demos to sites like Newgrounds, and itch.io, however, so I suppose I don't need to worry about it.

Thanks for helping me to realize that. I got so hung up on thinking that I needed to find a way to make an xbox controller simulate a key press, in order to get sound, that I didn't really think the whole thing through.

And thanks for taking the time to help me. I would have wasted hours tonight, again, trying to figure that out! You're great! Thanks!!!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)