Can I edit the spritesheet?

0 favourites
  • My game has many sprites of many sizes and with many animations.

It could save a lot of memory if you could edit the spritesheet, because they are generated randomly wasting a lot of memory.

• Taximan

My game has many sprites of many sizes and with many animations.

It could save a lot of memory if you could edit the spritesheet, because they are generated randomly wasting a lot of memory.

Memory is not a problem. It is all combined together to avoid as much Texture Swapping as possible. This is to improve a significant amount of performance and is a very good thing.

Separating them manually and let the users manage it is more dangerous, so an automated approach is convenient, and you shouldn't worry a lot about memory. In most cases, it is even ideal to combine all textures together in a single spritesheet on small games.

I hope that helps. Have a nice day!

• Memory is not a problem.

I'm getting a lot of negative reviews on Play store, before my games needed 200/300 megs of memory, but I updated them to C3, and now they need more than 700, and they are the same game with the same sprites.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Might check that the graphics are being compressed in the export.

Then you can always compress the sprite sheets manually.

tinypng.com

• TaxiMan, is there anything helpful in this tutorial? Optimize Exports: https://www.construct.net/en/tutorials/construct-3s-export-optimisations-4

One interesting thing is to make sure Sprite images are two pixels below the power of two numbers, i.e., 30x30, 126x126 or 254x254.

• nacra That's really only useful if you have a lot of images at roughly the same size.

• Sorry for taking so long to write, I'm very busy at work.

My games have more than 500 sprites, use tinypng to compress (decreases the download size, but not memory used).

In this picture you can see the memory problem on C3.

To load a small black sprite on all levels, you must load a lot of sprites that you would not have to use.

And worst of all is that against more sprites has the game, the more memory you need to upload images that you do not use.

• It's hard to tell what you are doing, but it looks more like you need to try to do some layout management.

You have to limit how much you put into memory on each layout.

• newt

You have to limit how much you put into memory on each layout.

That's what I need, but I do not know how to do it ...

• Compressing sprites only reduces their download size it does not affect their memory usage. I see that your car sprite wastes a lot of memory for no reason because of the headlight, just make the headlight a separate object and pin it to the car and you save about 50% of memory usage for that sprite, then make sure you crop transparent edges and use effects instead of sprites where necessary

• TaxiMan, I'd suggest reading this tutorial by Ashley, as it seems to cover some of the questions you're posting.

Memory Usage:

https://www.construct.net/en/make-games/manuals/construct-3/tips-and-guides/memory-usage

Also, in the article below, he recommends importing only 32-bit PNGs into Construct. The export processing compresses images after they've been put into spritesheets by Construct.

Best Practices

https://www.construct.net/en/make-games/manuals/construct-3/tips-and-guides/best-practices

• I do not know if I have explained my problem correctly (my english is very bad).

This game in C2 worked perfectly in an android phone with a 1g of memory (it used 200 megabytes), in C3 it needs more than 800.

The problem is in the spritesheets, which do not have any logic for grouping the sprites, and the game needs to load many spritesheets for a single level.

• Image from your previous post.

If it is what the name suggest, then get rid of that layout.

As Nacra linked: construct.net/en/make-games/manuals/construct-3/tips-and-guides/memory-usage

Just read it and follow the best practices.

• I already did it, it has no effect on memory...

• I managed to decrease the amount of memory by converting sprites to tilebadgrounds and reducing the quality of others.

This is the result. And even so, at times the game gets to use 1000 mb.

It is very sad to have to reduce the quality of my sprites, when the game works perfectly in C2.

Also know this problem because they created options to manage the memria, but they are completely useless.

I'm sorry for the enrage.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)