Where is The webStorage Object

1 favourites
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • I want to do TOP 10 HighScore but i can't find "webStorage" or "LocalStorage"

what should i do

Thank you

• i try to download but i cant

• Disable "Simplified user interface" in C3 settings. After that you will be able to see Local Storage in the list.

• Thank you

and i want to use "webStorage" object like C2 do you have any suggestion

• Web Storage is deprecated, it was replaced by Local Storage. You should still be able to open old projects which use WebStorage, but you can't add it to new projects.

• WebStorage was deprecated in 2015, over 3 years ago. You're a bit late to the party!

• It might be deprecated in Construct but it still works fine and is a lot easier to deal with thanks to sync actions. (Personal opinion!)

Are there any actual dates on when it will get deprecated? So far it looks like all major browsers will keep supporting it in near future.

• Since it's been deprecated in Construct, no new projects since 2015 have been able to use it. So there isn't really any option to keep using it (intentionally).

Local storage is also asynchronous so will have much better performance, so will prevent slow storage janking the game (and everyone hates jank), especially on systems with slow storage. It's not really acceptable to still use synchronous storage these days.

I'm not sure if/when the feature will be really removed, but the main hurdle is probably the backwards compatibility of existing sites that still use it. I'm sure it'd be gone already if browsers didn't have to worry about that.

• Local storage is also asynchronous so will have much better performance, so will prevent slow storage janking the game (and everyone hates jank), especially on systems with slow storage. It's not really acceptable to still use synchronous storage these days.

While I agree that everyone hates jank, couldn't reproduce any of that myself on a really low-end LG Android phone. Would appreciate any data showing that noticeable jank is actually happening.

My main point still stands. The new plugin is too over-complicated because it's performing everything asynchronously. Sure you can use countless of workarounds to workaround workarounds, but especially C2/C3 starters struggle with such things.

I could personally see a simplified version of local storage happening, by implementing the dictionary plugin's mechanics (sync), into the local storage plugin (a-sync), to give users the "illusion" that everything is happening instantly.

Basically fast access, sync storage in the foreground and permanent a-sync storage in the background. Only one action to permanently store to local storage and another one to load permanently stored local storage data would be required (a-sync conditions optional).

Again, this is already possible using multiple plugins and setting up several events but the point is to make things more simple for starters.

• > Local storage is also asynchronous so will have much better performance, so will prevent slow storage janking the game (and everyone hates jank), especially on systems with slow storage. It's not really acceptable to still use synchronous storage these days.

While I agree that everyone hates jank, couldn't reproduce any of that myself on a really low-end LG Android phone. Would appreciate any data showing that noticeable jank is actually happening.

Earlier this year we had to increase a timeout in Cordova because some Android devices couldn't load index.html within eight seconds. The worst devices are much, much worse than you probably imagine.

My main point still stands. The new plugin is too over-complicated because it's performing everything asynchronously.

It's similar to AJAX, which most people seem to deal with OK. Besides using a Dictionary which is saved/loaded as a whole is straightforward to do in events too.

• Earlier this year we had to increase a timeout in Cordova because some Android devices couldn't load index.html within eight seconds. The worst devices are much, much worse than you probably imagine.

Alright I guess a-sync is the way to go on those devices then.

It's similar to AJAX, which most people seem to deal with OK. Besides using a Dictionary which is saved/loaded as a whole is straightforward to do in events too.

I still think that something can be done with local storage to make things more simple. For now I guess an official example, which demonstrates how to use local storage in combination with the dictionary plugin, would be nice to have.

• .. example, which demonstrates how to use local storage in combination with the dictionary plugin, would be nice to have.

Hi :)

Try Demonoire GameDemos in editor startpage : editor.construct.net

It contain Dictionary and local storage combination concept

I think it is like set value to variable, and all defined variable packed as one (dictionary) then use the local storage to save that dictionary as json string

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > .. example, which demonstrates how to use local storage in combination with the dictionary plugin, would be nice to have.

Hi :)

Try Demonoire GameDemos in editor startpage : editor.construct.net

It contain Dictionary and local storage combination concept

I think it is like set value to variable, and all defined variable packed as one (dictionary) then use the local storage to save that dictionary as json string ...

Good catch!

I've said it before in another topic/discussion but I'll say it again. Scirra should take apart the game examples into smaller, single mechanic based example projects.

• For now I guess an official example, which demonstrates how to use local storage in combination with the dictionary plugin

I am totaly agree with that :)

especially a newcomer like me.. need more example to learn

Such as how to make customize splash screen, more advanced of combination of behavior implementaion to create unique player mechanic like sliding on curved surface or something else..

Anyway, I make this short .c3p that show Dictionary combining with LocalStorage.

WITHOUT a single global variable to know the basic how to "get" and "set" value in Dictionary

I hope this could help a little bit :

dropbox.com/s/bg3a44o2oidjhyy/testDictionary.c3p

• Actually, you don't need "LocalStorage Get" and "On LocalStorage item Get" events. You can access LocalStorage item value in "On item exist" event.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)