Subscription Pricing Alternative

From the Asset Store
Template for an alternative to falling shapes, fully documented in comments and video

Don't know about offline but from the official thread,

> - You can continue to collect revenues from published games if your subscription ends, that's fine

> - You will not be able to edit or publish games if your subscription has expired, but you can open in read only

>

The question then becomes as a small developer: why would you ever lock yourself into a rental model that may hold your files hostage after you stop paying the rent? That part will never make sense to me. Why run that risk?

We don't want server-based anything - Don't host anything - simple.

All they need to do is drop the being locked out of your project after twelve month and it would be fine.

I mentioned somewhere else on these forums that I have a suite of components for UI dev in VS which is a twelve month sub type system. But if you don't renew the sub you can't get updates, additions. or bug fixes - you do however get to keep and use the components forever after that. Additionally you can renew your sub at any time you want - even years later - at a reduced price.

I can renew it now if I want, although I haven't done so for nearly two years, because there is nothing new added that I need.

This way you are not milking them by expecting never ending work done to the tools, and they are not milking you by expecting you to keep paying to use the tools.

Much fairer system I think.

I agree with this.

> All they need to do is drop the being locked out of your project after twelve month and it would be fine.

>

> I mentioned somewhere else on these forums that I have a suite of components for UI dev in VS which is a twelve month sub type system. But if you don't renew the sub you can't get updates, additions. or bug fixes - you do however get to keep and use the components forever after that. Additionally you can renew your sub at any time you want - even years later - at a reduced price.

>

> I can renew it now if I want, although I haven't done so for nearly two years, because there is nothing new added that I need.

>

> This way you are not milking them by expecting never ending work done to the tools, and they are not milking you by expecting you to keep paying to use the tools.

>

> Much fairer system I think.

>

I totally agree. While Scirra doesn't seem to go this way now, I hope that they'll consider this in the future. I'm fine with paying for updates, and I would stay subscribed just to support them, but I'd like to have the feeling that I could use the software in it's current state even if I'd stop paying.

Edit.: Also, I think the users would feel more eased with the subscription model, and wouldn't consider subscribing and developing in C3 as risky as some of the users expressed.

What you mention gives power to the user instead of stripping them of control and expecting a fee here and forever after.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

>

> > All they need to do is drop the being locked out of your project after twelve month and it would be fine.

> >

> > I mentioned somewhere else on these forums that I have a suite of components for UI dev in VS which is a twelve month sub type system. But if you don't renew the sub you can't get updates, additions. or bug fixes - you do however get to keep and use the components forever after that. Additionally you can renew your sub at any time you want - even years later - at a reduced price.

> >

> > I can renew it now if I want, although I haven't done so for nearly two years, because there is nothing new added that I need.

> >

> > This way you are not milking them by expecting never ending work done to the tools, and they are not milking you by expecting you to keep paying to use the tools.

> >

> > Much fairer system I think.

> >

> I totally agree. While Scirra doesn't seem to go this way now, I hope that they'll consider this in the future. I'm fine with paying for updates, and I would stay subscribed just to support them, but I'd like to have the feeling that I could use the software in it's current state even if I'd stop paying.

>

> Edit.: Also, I think the users would feel more eased with the subscription model, and wouldn't consider subscribing and developing in C3 as risky as some of the users expressed.

>

What you mention gives power to the user instead of stripping them of control and expecting a fee here and forever after.

It is not a problem of Scirra if you can not edit your project, that is a problem that you have for not paying the subscription. I guess that's how Scirra focuses it. It does not matter if you can not edit, all you have to do is pay. That's what I hope will change in the future. If Scirra includes other payment options, you will not be doing that for you to edit, it would do so because the subscription system does not work as they wish.

If users behave like scirra: Do not do tutorials if scirra does not pay you. Do not help the forum if scirra does not pay you. Do not create plugins if Scirra doesn't not paying you...

I don't see the problem. People can't fork out $129 (or is it $99) a year to have the ability to make an UNLIMITED amount of games every year.

Do you want to learn to code? I would rather commit suicide than learn that. I paid $129 a year ago i believe and it is worth EVERY single cent! I'll just keep using C2 for the time being, but I'm sure I will get C3 and gladly pay for a yearly fee.

Have I made any money yet off of C2. Hell no. Have I learned a lot? Every single day.

The reality is that C2 is cheap as can be. They can not possible have a C3 and have a single one time fee for unlimited upgrades. 5 years from now and the C3 user is still getting free upgrades at the expense of thousands of hours of man labor to make them. It doesn't work out.

Some cheap people on here I guess. Even if it is a hobby $129 a year is next to nothing. What is the average income on here....12k a year? geez folks. Support this company!

If you don't like it continue to use C2 or try the free version of C3. Or time to try out a new game maker. No one is making anyone stay.

Hahaha! That comment was hilarious!

Do you want to learn to code? I would rather commit suicide than learn that.

Have I made any money yet off of C2. Hell no. Have I learned a lot? Every single day.

I don't see the problem. People can't fork out $129 (or is it $99) a year to have the ability to make an UNLIMITED amount of games every year.

Just curious, but how many games have you made with construct since you began using it a year ago? I mean games that have been completed.

> I don't see the problem. People can't fork out $129 (or is it $99) a year to have the ability to make an UNLIMITED amount of games every year.

>

Just curious, but how many games have you made with construct since you began using it a year ago? I mean games that have been completed.

Completed on the app store? Or have made me money...none.

Actual games....26. From smaller games where I opened up the platformer example on Construct and simply replaced sprites and etc. To games where I would basically clone a smaller app just to see how it could be done. Nowhere near professional level of course (ie polished).

Every time I learn something new though. I will get stuck on a game and go back to it a few months later when i finally understand what I was doing.

By all means a hobby by definition. $10 or whatever a month though is pocket change if you really want to get good at something. Hell I have bought over $500 of equipment for a home gym easily in the last few months. Simply because I like to lift weights. It is my hobby.

Hell I have bought over $500 of equipment for a home gym easily in the last few months. Simply because I like to lift weights. It is my hobby.

I envy you. I'm doing squats at home with extra-large bags of cat litter on my shoulders cause I don't want to spend the money on real weights. FYI: It's hard to do push-ups with a bag of cat litter on your back.

> Hell I have bought over $500 of equipment for a home gym easily in the last few months. Simply because I like to lift weights. It is my hobby.

>

I envy you. I'm doing squats at home with extra-large bags of cat litter on my shoulders cause I don't want to spend the money on real weights. FYI: It's hard to do push-ups with a bag of cat litter on your back.

Been there done that lol. Had a backpack with bags of pool filter sand. I'm a total introvert though so I got a power rack for Christmas. Squat Stands before that. Just Craigslist it all. $300-500 will get you the basics (bench,rack, weights, barbell ) which is all you need really.

You will make gains with what you have though, just not as significant or in a quick fashion.

>

> > Hell I have bought over $500 of equipment for a home gym easily in the last few months. Simply because I like to lift weights. It is my hobby.

> >

>

> I envy you. I'm doing squats at home with extra-large bags of cat litter on my shoulders cause I don't want to spend the money on real weights. FYI: It's hard to do push-ups with a bag of cat litter on your back.

>

Been there done that lol. Had a backpack with bags of pool filter sand. I'm a total introvert though so I got a power rack for Christmas. Squat Stands before that. Just Craigslist it all. $300-500 will get you the basics (bench,rack, weights, barbell ) which is all you need really.

You will make gains with what you have though, just not as significant or in a quick fashion.

Pool sand! Yeah that's even better... Definitely will check out the deals on Craigslist, thanks

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)