Performance issue after migrating project from C2 to C3 and running on Edge vs Chrome

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
From the Asset Store
On the Edge is a puzzle game where you have 40 levels to have fun with.
  • Migrated a large C2 project to C3 (5000+ events, large number of animations in Spriter). For some reason, CPU usage won't go above 10% and as a result the game runs at 5 FPS in Chrome. Project also crashes frequently - probably because a large number of sprites are created and positioned when the layouts are started.

The project runs fine in C2 at 60 FPS on Edge Chromium without crashing. Switching to Chrome with C2, I get the same performance issues as C3 (CPU at 10%, 5 FPS). Unable to preview my project using C3 on Edge, so not sure where the issue lies.

The only addon I'm using is Spriter. Even though the C3 Spriter addon hasn't been updated in a while I haven't seen any reports of performance issues with Spriter on C3.

When exporting in C3 using node.js, CPU use is no longer limited and performance is improved but the game frequently crashes when switching layouts which doesn't happen in C2.

Running latest browser, C3 and Spriter addon versions. Other than CPU not being utilised when running in browser, the debugger is not giving me any clues as to what the issue could be.

The events and layout loading can be improved but I assumed if everything ran fine on C2 it would run on C3. Any suggestions appreciated as to where I should look to identify the problem and get the game running in a stable fashion on C3 using Chrome.

• This sounds a lot like your device has broken or out-of-date graphics drivers. Browsers will use software rendering which is slow but avoids crashing. NW.js exports force GPU accelerated rendering, but that means you're then subject to the broken drivers which can crash or glitch.

Virtually all modern devices should be fine. I'd guess you're on some pretty old hardware, or your software is years out of date.

• This sounds a lot like your device has broken or out-of-date graphics drivers. Browsers will use software rendering which is slow but avoids crashing. NW.js exports force GPU accelerated rendering, but that means you're then subject to the broken drivers which can crash or glitch.

Virtually all modern devices should be fine. I'd guess you're on some pretty old hardware, or your software is years out of date.

Ashley, I think there is an issue here. I experience same things on chrome. My project was also made on construct 2, and on 3, fullscreen made game full lag. and I also use Spriter. same issues as the author, on nw.js export runs fine, gpu don't make noise as on preview too. for solution know, you can run it on brave browser. in my case, that resolved the problem. game preview run smooth on in. but did'nt made switch layout things, for now.

Ashley you said me that was drivers or device too

construct.net/en/forum/construct-3/general-discussion-7/game-works-brave-browser-know-169620

I don't think authors have an old device too. Anyway try in other browser, particulary Brave for preview.

and contact Brashmonkey, maybe it came from Spriter.

• Did you check? chrome://flags

Setting "Override software rendering list" to Enabled

• Did you check? chrome://flags

Setting "Override software rendering list" to Enabled

I tried it just now, was disabled. but enabled still don't work

• Accelerated 2D canvas?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I'm pretty sure this all comes down to broken GPU drivers causing fallback to software rendering. In Chrome visit chrome://gpu to see the status of GPU rendering. WebGL should say "hardware accelerated".

• I'm pretty sure this all comes down to broken GPU drivers causing fallback to software rendering. In Chrome visit chrome://gpu to see the status of GPU rendering. WebGL should say "hardware accelerated".

you are right:

WebGL: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable

WebGL2: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable

Problems Detected

Gpu compositing has been disabled, either via blocklist, about:flags or the command line. The browser will fall back to software compositing and hardware acceleration will be unavailable.

Disabled Features: gpu_compositing

so what we change exactly on chrome://flags/ to get rid of this problem?

• Okay guys I found the solution :

on chrome :

Hardware acceleration works by moving some of the burden off of your PC’s CPU onto the GPU, which can potentially resolve some processing problems by placing the page-rendering burden on the CPU. For this setting, click on the three-dot menu and open Settings. Then go down to the bottom of the window and find Show Advanced Settings. Go down from here and find the System section. Select Use hardware acceleration when available and restart Chrome to activate it.

WebGL: Hardware accelerated

WebGL2: Hardware accelerated

edit.contrust = > no lag on chrome, smooth

that works for me, try it

found it here, heidentechnology.com/tip-of-the-week-make-chrome-run-faster-with-these-3-adjustments , thanks to google

• Use hardware acceleration when available should be enabled by default. Perhaps you went and changed your settings and turned it off a while back and forgot about it? Chrome will be much slower all round if that option is turned off, especially for games.

• Use hardware acceleration when available should be enabled by default. Perhaps you went and changed your settings and turned it off a while back and forgot about it? Chrome will be much slower all round if that option is turned off, especially for games.

yeah don't know, the solution was so simple

• I have both "Use hardware acceleration when available" and "Override software rendering list" enabled in Chrome. Running on a high spec PC with latest graphics card drivers. Don't have any extensions installed or anything else that might impact Chrome performance. Still getting very poor performance in Chrome.

I tested using Brave and I'm getting 50-60 FPS so the issue is definitely with Chrome. Not sure if it's a GPU issue in my case as CPU usage won't go above 10% according to C3 cpuutilisation.

• stricky: in Chrome visit chrome://gpu to see the status of GPU rendering. That should tell you the actual status for your system. Otherwise all anyone can do is guess.

• stricky did you change this?

• frayt, yes I did. The problem turned out to be a command line switch of "--disable-gpu" set on Chrome. No idea how that was set as I don't recall ever setting it manually.

Chrome performance is back to normal. I still maintain that Edge and Brave give noticeably better performance with less stuttering/ FPS dips but that's a topic for another time once I've better optimised my game.

Thanks all for the help.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)