NW.js for other Browsers?

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
  • Hi there!

First of all a disclaimer: i don't want to start a performance discussion (so far never had any problems with NW.js) again or anything, this post is purely out of interest and maybe you guys have had some experiences or anything

Since NW.js is based on Chromium i was wondering if there are similiar Wrappers or Systems maybe in the making maybe already released but with different Browsers like Firefox, Edge (if that's even possible since it's proprietary) etc.?

I think that would be kinda interesting to keep a bit of competition going

• The only other cross-platform browser engine is Firefox, and I don't think it's architected to support a framework like NW.js, so it's not been done yet AFAIK.

Edge is Windows 10 only, so you may as well publish a Windows Store app (which you already can do). Safari is Mac-only, and I don't think it would be very interesting if you couldn't use it on any other platform.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • No that's right... TBH i didn't even know that Edge wasn't Multiplatform :O I thought they were on Mac as well and i think i remember having Safari running on Windows years ago to try it out but maybe that all changed by now

• The only other cross-platform browser engine is Firefox, and I don't think it's architected to support a framework like NW.js, so it's not been done yet AFAIK.

Edge is Windows 10 only, so you may as well publish a Windows Store app (which you already can do). Safari is Mac-only, and I don't think it would be very interesting if you couldn't use it on any other platform.

For the sake of inclusion, you could do the same thing in the Mac app store by loading everything into a web view and publishing it as a native app. I believe this is the mac equivalent to a Windows Store app. If you have a game that runs well on MacBooks, you might stand a much better chance of getting noticed in the mac App Store than in the Windows Store because there is less competition.

Then again, NW.js works just fine for this purpose, and it is much simpler than creating your own project in Xcode.

• Someone posted in the community a while ago a website (github project) that converted html5 apps into hardware accelerated standalones, apparently it gave similar speeds to nw.js without the huge file size.

I thought i bookmarked it but for the life of me i cant find it now.

• IIRC that only supported Windows, so is also basically the same as making a Windows Store app.

• Tint 2?

https://github.com/trueinteractions/tint2

[quote:4q517m1g]Tint enables programmers to create desktop applications with JavaScript by utilizing the node runtime with direct access to both native objects (Objective-C Objects and .NET/COM objects) or by using Tint’s built in application object model and API that standardizes GUI components across various operating systems. It’s a light-weight node runtime that integrates the application loop of the target operating system and safely exposes any native OS object needed to build an application.v

I've heard about this one, but don't know very much about it, but at least it could be a contender. No linux support though.

• Tint 2?

https://github.com/trueinteractions/tint2

[quote:8w1loqpi]Tint enables programmers to create desktop applications with JavaScript by utilizing the node runtime with direct access to both native objects (Objective-C Objects and .NET/COM objects) or by using Tint’s built in application object model and API that standardizes GUI components across various operating systems. It’s a light-weight node runtime that integrates the application loop of the target operating system and safely exposes any native OS object needed to build an application.v

I've heard about this one, but don't know very much about it, but at least it could be a contender. No linux support though.

It wasnt Tint 2, it was something else. Wish i could find the forum post. It was a few weeks back. I thought to myself, this looks cool, why didnt i know about this alternative to NW before?

• mOOnpunk

must have been electron then? I think thats the only other option i know of.

https://electron.atom.io/

• Tint seems to be pretty dead judging from the Issue Tracker...

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)