Is multiplayer still supported?

• As someone who is using the multiplayer plugin in my alternative life simulator game I like the WebRTC and WebSocket features and having the option to turn to proper server management, I guess my most major complaint would be ease of use to be improved more then it is and more options accessible as usual but Id also like to see easier ways to deal with server side stuff without having to result to programming like with websocket, I think that would be so cool to be able to like interact with a server directly and do things on it just by giving the server information and let construct 3 do the rest but ya I've not noticed many issues bar some odd unexpected movements that are confusing me at the moment but it could be something I'm doing also the documentation is problematic using old C2 projects for a C3 engine does have differences but I managed to get through it after a lot of fustration.

Documentation should be aware and improving and provide lots of solutions to lots of problems and never stop getting better, it should be a living documentation with actual workable and usable solutions for many problematic tasks regardless of how simple and or complex the problem at hand and never stop as much as possible.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ashley I'm sorry to say, but the Multiplayer is good/reliable only for LAN connections, anything else fails because of NAT.

I've done the following test based on your documentation about Multiplayer. It lacks stuff life lag compensation, binary transmission, bandwidth reduction etc, but it works even on mobile data.

Subscribe to Construct videos now

I've made the server in Node.js using WebSocket library and application in Construct 2. All the logic is inside the application, the server only stores the list of users (hosts, clients) and passes the websockets (messages) between them.

The window from the left is the host. The other windows are the clients that receive the x,y coordinates of the object.

Just after doing my own websocket multiplayer test I've realized how complex is Construct's Multiplayer plugin and how much work was put into it.

If you don't want all that work to go to waste (because at is now, the Multiplayer plugin can't be properly used ) my advice would be:

1) Host yourself an official TURN server needed for multiplayer (like the signalling server). If the costs are high, make it subscription based.

2) Teach the users how to make their own TURN server. I've found VPS hosts as low as 2~3$/month that could run a TURN server, or to run it on the personal PC.

And don't forget to tell the users upfront that the Multiplayer plugin costs extra because of the online implications.

• Ashley I'm sorry to say, but the Multiplayer is good/reliable only for LAN connections, anything else fails because of NAT.

Our own measurements match other figures in the industry, indicating that the vast majority of connections over the open Internet do work (as I said, 90%+). Just because you find a pair of devices that don't work doesn't invalidate those measurements, it means you've found a combination in the 5-10% of devices that can't connect through a specific combination of NAT configurations. In general, WebRTC and STUN can punch through common NAT configurations. It is simply incorrect to say "it can't be used".

If you want to use a WebSocket based multiplayer instead, you can, but then you need to write a WebSocket server (likely in code) and host it (paying the resulting hosting fees). That's an option, but as I said the Multiplayer plugin is designed to work entirely for free and without having to code, which is what I would assume the majority of Construct users want.

1) Host yourself an official TURN server needed for multiplayer (like the signalling server). If the costs are high, make it subscription based.

The costs would be high. There's no point making a subscription when you can already set up a TURN server yourself and pay a host directly (which would also be cheaper than going through us as a middleman).

2) Teach the users how to make their own TURN server. I've found VPS hosts as low as 2~3$/month that could run a TURN server, or to run it on the personal PC.

There are already documented TURN servers out there like coturn. There might be other services which provide the hosting of a TURN server for you as well if you look.

• Ashley Our own measurements match other figures in the industry, indicating that the vast majority of connections over the open Internet do work (as I said, 90%+).

I think the current plugin is neat for prototyping. But it doesn't even come close to industry standards.

But due the lack of options on how to sync data, we're pretty much forced to use the plugin in one specific and unoptimized way.

Take a look here:

construct3.ideas.aha.io

Popular place 7 is multiplayer enhancements - Interest Management.

construct3.ideas.aha.io/ideas/C3-I-319

It is absolutely clear that we are in bad need of further improvements on the plugin.

Multiplayer is too complicated in its own nature for beginners to wrap their head around rapidly.

And that's absolutely ok. It does not have to be super easy to use. I think how it currently works is absolutely ok when it comes to implementation difficulty.

But more advanced users should be able to set up all kinds of multiplayer scenarios with optimized data sync /bandwith. ->

Please...

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)