Mobile Performance Issues & Dramas

• [quote:15kg1fvw]

> This is not a Routine Report

>

The pathfinding bug was a routine bug and could have been filed as such. You have been exploiting this to stoke concerns about mobile. You don't need to do that.

If you can't concede this point I'm not willing to participate in this thread further.

@Ashley

I'm not an Engineer and I'm not a Programmer how can I know if this is a bug or not, I just report what I see. and if you read my comments is the opposite I keep insisting that Stuttuers is not a PathFinder problem, and the Funny thing I even get frustrated because you wanted to focus on the "Path Finder"

I will not quote all my comments because it will be too long but here are some from the other thread where you can see I explicitly said

https://www.scirra.com/forum/framerate-stutter-achieve-smooth-fps_t201444

[quote:15kg1fvw]I think you missed the Point

-Is nothing to do with the PathFinder, yes I use the Pathfinder but the truth is to show that Webview is Miles a way to compete with Canvas+ I would say two different universes

The point was so you can see how slow is WebView executing exported Games from C2/C3 and for that I used the "Pathfinder" as you can see is very clear that they are huge delays in how is processing the C2 code, and I gave you the comparison with Canvas+ which for me is very clear to see who is best for performance

So yeah it is all related to the thread, did you ever think that perhaps maybe the problems related to stutters can be because of Webview delays in executing the code? between one thick and the other sometimes maybe there is a delay that may cause the stutters and other different problems maybe? this is just a theory to think about it, but I'm not an expert so it could be anything really, I just suggest some ideas in hope of helping fix the problem

by the way here is a Test done

Now Please with all the respects I don't wanna waste your Time and mine, running in circles because you took all in the wrong way

This how it happened on my end

1-I'm coming from a 4-month battle between (PathFinder) & (Stutters) and when a say 4 month I don't mean I (1 or 2) hours a day, I mean day and night for 4 months until I got sick of it

2-After long battling I removed the official PathFinder and replaced with my own custom Pathfinder with Events yet I'm still battling with the Stutters that remains unsolved

3-I was gonna open my own thread any way for this Topic I just didn't have Time, The conversation comes in the other thread which is exactly the same issues that I'm experiencing "Stutters"

4-We debating that (canvas+) is faster and better than (WebView) wich is true believed or not, but is it that gonna fix the Stutters completely? I have no idea what I know is faster, this I know for sure

5-Now between the debate who is faster I know one thing, my battling to make the official Pathfinder the Webview didn't work Properly until I find out delays but still worked on Canvas+ even with (heavy Stutters) but no delays like Webview, so if it works in one platform and no in the other how do I know if this is a bug, I'm not an Engineer or highly Programer Im sorry don't spect us to know or spot your Engine Bugs.

6-I Reported my experience using the PathFinder with Webview showing the delays in the hope that will be the problem so you can fix the stutters once for all if that turns out that was causing the problem, we the participants on the threads we just trying to help you giving you ideas on what can cause this stutters, in the truth we shouldn't be doing these things, you guys should be investigated by your own and we should be working in our Games waiting for the Fix, and if that recomendations trying to solve a big Problem "Sttuters" or "Performance" you call it to exploit or put the "Company Down" well what can say if you think so, I know thats not what happend all my comments are public so I have nothing to hide, I have good intentions here, if you think I invest years learning your Engine, I invest Money to collect the devices just to end up putting Down your company for fun, does it make any sense to you?

This is not the first Time this happens I don't want to bring more bla bla unnecessary but I cancelled another Game after 10 months working on it graphics done included for Performance problems and did you see me around complaining or anything like that nope never

I'm still open to debate openly and respectful, I'm open to help you guys to Fix this stutters, likely I have all the Devices and I can help you test anything that you want me to test and Report Back with videos or whatever you need to solve this problem

Yet

You still didn't mention any word about the "Stutters" nor on this thread nor in the other threads you avoiding the subject, and that gives me bad feelings silence can mean many things, we asked many Times here and on other threads if you fixed "stutters" on the "New Run Time" you never replied to any of them how we should take this?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > karan316 joelmayer

>

> Easy Fix, check the Tittle before you enter to the Threads and that will give you a hint of what you gonna spect inside and don't enter them if it brakes your vibe, that will avoid you many heart Attacks.

> Is not mandatory to enter into all threads

> I will give you a hint if you see any title that starts with (Mobile performance issues) (Mobile Problems) etc.... you know is not for you

> because if your life is going smooth and happy doesn't mean that is for everyone the same

>

> For more than two years or so I have been reading and seeing here battles about exporters on Pc, consoles, Performance issues etc...much much worse so why would it be any different now? because you two can handle it?

>

I have nothing against you, I just don't want the product to suffer coz of endless thread criticising the same issue. Before buying a license, people would check out the forums and see how much activity is there, seeing so many negative threads on a single issue gives a wrong message to the future consumers. I am a big supporter of the product and that's the reason I am recommending something. Maybe I'll stop now coz I have said about it 3-4 times already. I apologise if I sounded rude, but I care for the future of the game engine and am pretty passionate about it.

Not a problem m8 I understand

You see I respect your opinion and you have the right to think that way but I have to disagree with you here

I'm a big fan and supporter swell of Construct I'm supporting them in many ways.

And this is just my opinion it doesn't have to be this way and you don't have to agree with me but this is how I see things

Note: I'm not speaking about you I'm speaking General now for the years

For me, a big supporter of "construct" doesn't mean like I have to do the Superhero jumping on people that are speaking out about some issues that they experienced even less when they have a legitimate claim.

In fact, I will argue that there is nothing that stopped Construct c2/c3 Development, to be on the top number 1 from all the Engines more than people Jumping on Important threads with no valid reason nor contributing to that thread, just jumping on OP with cheap tricks making angry the OP until they look that thread, and at the end nothing got resolved thread lost in the shadows, important issues got forgotten, everyone has to pay for that.

And this has been repeating and repeating none stop

For me a good supporter is the one who really cares about the "Engine" to be good and prestige, he will report or help to report things that an Engine should improve or is missing, that for me is helping the Engine because it cares for the Engine and this is not a bad thing, I don't know why there is that Carma around the Forum that reporting things is bad or negative or damaging the Company, no is not it means improving the Engine.

We wouldn't be here enjoying with c2/c3 if it wasn't for those before us that took the time in reporting and requesting things to add to the Engine to improve it, the critic is good as long is healthy and is reported with manners, I'm sure they had their big battles but that's how C2 become good and now C3 the continuation.

At the same time, I understand that some went over the limit vendetta style and all that stuff and I can understand people jumping there.

But I never understood people jumping to stop an important thread when ad the end of the day if that Issue from that thread got resolved is gonna benefit the OP and the people that jumped against the OP ??? does it make sense

Will I stop something that it will benefit me an example "Performance" ?? Exporters?? Consoles support?? of course not, even if I don't need it now that thing is been requested, but who knows in the future if you gonna need it, is not better just to have it there in your Arsenal, like I said I never understood and I will never will.

They think they doing good to the Engine but in my opinion is the opposite.

But again that's is just my view it doesn't have to be right and I respect the opinion of others

• It's weird. Your cactus moving capx is not very smooth when I preview it ( but not too horrible either ) ,

If I start a new project and just insert a square sprite and try the same code, perfectly smooth.

If I add a square sprite to your capx and delete cactus sprites and all of your code, not smooth even though what's left is the same square and same code to move it from right to left

• Motorola G4 (pretty crappy £150 work phone)

Using C3 Debug android apk (lolipop comp)

59/60 fps cpu 10/12%

i can see yellow flash but it is flash

all movement generally smooth but notice some sporadic slight jankiness on main player

(note though that my phone storage is full and battery 5% so may degrade performance)

note i tried canvas+ in past and its performance is amazing but so many builds would fail it wasn't worth it for me.

• It's weird. Your cactus moving capx is not very smooth when I preview it ( but not too horrible either ) ,

If I start a new project and just insert a square sprite and try the same code, perfectly smooth.

If I add a square sprite to your capx and delete cactus sprites and all of your code, not smooth even though what's left is the same square and same code to move it from right to left

Jejeje jeje lol it is weird we have the Mini Elf inside construct having fun of us

That's one of the things why I'm so angry for this inconsistent results because you never know why it starts behaving badly, can you imagine that you already have 500 Events or more and suddenly you start to notice this jerky behaviour and the first thing you would think is, that is your fault like you didn't optimize the events enough, and you start going through all your events changing things, recreating 100 new setups, going around and around in circles losing Time and energy and in the end it was one of this weird thing and nothing to do with your Events, is estressfull to be in (is it me? is it Construct?) you can go insane like this, thats why they need to fix this asooners posible if they can, as it will make the life easier for everyone, because if its fixed and it happens the same thing you know 100% is your fault so you will go throug your events as necesary to fix the problem untill you find it.

Thanks for the report

Note: which Construct version did you have?

• Motorola G4 (pretty crappy £150 work phone)

Using C3 Debug android apk (lolipop comp)

59/60 fps cpu 10/12%

i can see yellow flash but it is flash

all movement generally smooth but notice some sporadic slight jankiness on main player

(note though that my phone storage is full and battery 5% so may degrade performance)

note i tried canvas+ in past and its performance is amazing but so many builds would fail it wasn't worth it for me.

Thanks for the report m8

[quote:30od7hm7]note i tried canvas+ in past and its performance is amazing but so many builds would fail it wasn't worth it for me

I agree is not perfect,

I personally didn't have any build fail since I did the few Recommendation (progress bar, Physic engine, etc..) and I did hundreds of setups but it was for the same Game so maybe that's why.

I had trouble with iphone6 only but all the iPhones after the 6 the canvas+ is amazingly fast and solid you can see this in the game Play, is like you play some natives Games, maybe if it was more support for Canvas+ could become some great choice but who knows if that will fix everything

• I am on construct 2.

And yes it's weird and some of these things are connected to minifying javascript when physics behavior is involved ( 100%, no doubt about it )

For example in one of my games ( ski jump ) on the first jump there will always be a slight jank while jumper is going down, right in the middle of the ramp. Second jump jank happens right before takeoff making it almost impossible to get the timing right. After that everything is fine.

Now to make things even weirder it happens on Galaxy S6 edge, but not on iPhone 6 or 7. If you export without minifying everything works fine.

On that Galaxy S6 edge, there is always jankiness when physics + minify on export are combined, but it only happens when the game starts and goes away after 30 seconds or so.

Oh yeah, and how the fuck does that big jank always happen on second jump at exactly the same spot, and only there. There is absolutely nothing special about that time in the game or that spot in the game, nothing new added or taken away, and it only happens on second jump

• My experience on mobile is never use the minify option in your export. It always leads to issues of performance or jank or even random crashes.

Canvas+ from CocoonJS is good perf but has compatibility issues. WKWebView on iOS is a 100% must, else it's painfully slow. On Android, WebView can be hit or miss depending on the device, I had more success with Crosswalk (they essentially bundle Chromium into your app, launch that and load app) as it had high performance and great compatibility, but it inflates your app size by 17MB or so.

• I just read the blog post from today

https://www.scirra.com/blog/230/behavior-improvements-in-the-construct-3-runtime?utm_campaign=v4Email&utm_medium=230&utm_source=NewBlog

and I personally was blown away by results that you posted especially the Pathfinder, an amazing job Scirra!!

Man, I wish if I had that set up for the last 4 month would have saved me (hypertension high blood pressure) lol and I'm not joking

With these new:

https://www.scirra.com/blog/224/announcing-the-construct-3-runtime

https://www.scirra.com/blog/230/behavior-improvements-in-the-construct-3-runtime?utm_campaign=v4Email&utm_medium=230&utm_source=NewBlog

And these Features that you already announced:

-Project modularity features (such as designing new kinds of plugins purely in events, or ways to usefully share functions or groups of events)

And as I keep dreaming:

-If you can build an in (House build) to export to different Platforms without Thirds Partys

-Kepp Monetization In top High Priority

-If you can Fix the Stutters

You will have a Killer!!

• BadMario

[quote:1frli8x3]Oh yeah, and how the fuck does that big jank always happen on second jump at exactly the same spot, and only there. There is absolutely nothing special about that time in the game or that spot in the game, nothing new added or taken away, and it only happens on second jump

=======================

To use "Cocoon" they recommended that we don't minify and it works, I never minify again but I have this question always Running through my head,

If you export without minifying is the code on your projects still protected?? can someone still the code of your Project?

• [quote:2i1a707g]My experience on mobile is never use the minify option in your export. It always leads to issues of performance or jank or even random crashes.

These are not exported for mobile, just normal web/html 5 exports played on phones.

• I really don't understand why I have to learn a bunch of arbitrary things (and it's not even learning, it's randomly figuring them out by yourself if you're lucky) like this DON'T MINIFY rule.

My entire experience in publishing for iOS has been a string of frustrations similar to this one. Finding stuff out that's heavily buried deep and nobody knows until you hit that one guy that tried it 50000 times and got the right info.

I've lost so many days months, something like 30-40% of what I've done is searching for a simple, bugless way to export my games to iOS. And it seems like an endless stream of exceptions and localized bugs that prevent me from publishing.

I fucking love Construct 3 and 2 to death. They've enabled me to do shit I never imagined I could and do it so quickly and easily. This is another reason why the iOS export clusterfuck is more intense. I can make great stuff but can't publish it correctly and nobody sees it.

In my experience so far on the iPhone X via CocoonJS, C3 and C2 exports are quite smooth and snappy.... But now I'm struggling with the export manager size limit itself.

• Minifying script should not have any functional effect on the game. It only reduces the download size. It's possible minifying the script sometimes breaks things; if that happens, please file a bug. If it doesn't actually break something, then excepting bizarre bugs that are really rare, it should not affect anything, and this idea that you ought to turn it off sounds like voodoo programming.

• Also, separate to that, I've had a response to an issue I filed with Google about v-sync in the Android Webview (which is what runs the game in an APK). Apparently there's already a fix in for Chrome 67. You can try it now if you have an Android 7+ device. Download Chrome Canary, make sure all apps are closed, enable developer mode, and in developer settings switch the "Webview implementation" to Chrome Canary. Then start the app again and see if it looks smoother. I just tried it and it does look smoother on my HTC 10, so might be worth a shot if you've had jank issues on Android. If that resolves the issue then we just have to wait for Chrome 67 to make its way to stable (looks like it's scheduled for May). Also don't forget you might want to switch your webview implementation back to Chrome afterwards, since Canary can be pretty unstable.

• Also, separate to that, I've had a response to an issue I filed with Google about v-sync in the Android Webview (which is what runs the game in an APK). Apparently there's already a fix in for Chrome 67. You can try it now if you have an Android 7+ device. Download Chrome Canary, make sure all apps are closed, enable developer mode, and in developer settings switch the "Webview implementation" to Chrome Canary. Then start the app again and see if it looks smoother. I just tried it and it does look smoother on my HTC 10, so might be worth a shot if you've had jank issues on Android. If that resolves the issue then we just have to wait for Chrome 67 to make its way to stable (looks like it's scheduled for May). Also don't forget you might want to switch your webview implementation back to Chrome afterwards, since Canary can be pretty unstable.

Does that mean all users would need to manually update their chrome on their phones when it becomes stable for our games to have good performance?

What about people that have Android 5.0, 5.1 and 6.0? They make up more than 50% of the market.

You no longer believe that gpu is the problem?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)