Mobile Performance Issues & Dramas

• Normally by default the version is currently Chrome 65 from Android 5.0 onwards. For instance I can download and run my game via browser on my Samsung s4 running android 5.0 with chrome canary which you download from the google play store. I would assume once it is considered stable, anything from 5.0 onwards will be updated to use the newest webview, unless things change from the way Google has currently have been doing things.

So once it is stable, google play will auto-update the apps on the phone.

• Yes, Chrome auto-updates (as it always has done) and will be available for all Android 5.0+ devices as usual. You only need Android 7+ to have the necessary developer settings to test a pre-release version of the webview.

• Also, separate to that, I've had a response to an issue I filed with Google about v-sync in the Android Webview (which is what runs the game in an APK). Apparently there's already a fix in for Chrome 67. You can try it now if you have an Android 7+ device. Download Chrome Canary, make sure all apps are closed, enable developer mode, and in developer settings switch the "Webview implementation" to Chrome Canary. Then start the app again and see if it looks smoother. I just tried it and it does look smoother on my HTC 10, so might be worth a shot if you've had jank issues on Android. If that resolves the issue then we just have to wait for Chrome 67 to make its way to stable (looks like it's scheduled for May). Also don't forget you might want to switch your webview implementation back to Chrome afterwards, since Canary can be pretty unstable.

Sorry I'm a bit confused here, I'm exporting at the moment only to ios Devices and I have the same problem with the Stutters, does this means that Safari has the same v-sync problem?

Is there anything we can do on ios? as I really need a solution here

• [quote:s60wqjby]Minifying script should not have any functional effect on the game.

But it definitely does, at least in some cases. Like I said, on my Galaxy S6 edge every single game that uses physics will experience stutters within the first 30 seconds or so, after that seems fine ( occasionally may stutter, but not a big deal, mostly very smooth after that ). If export is not minifyied, no stutters at all. iPhone, iPad, or PC do not have this problem.

Your beta a few versions ago, maybe 252, completely broke games with physics and minifyed script, and you fixed it within days. So, there seems to be something going on there between physics and minification.

• Threads like this are pretty confusing. I have no idea what this thread is even about any more. Is it pathfinding? iOS performance? Android v-sync quality? Physics bugs? Minification settings? I can hardly follow the discussion and every time I post someone brings up something different. I think if you want a proper discussion about these things, you should start a separate thread about one subject so we can properly focus the discussion.

• Threads like this are pretty confusing. I have no idea what this thread is even about any more. Is it pathfinding? iOS performance? Android v-sync quality? Physics bugs? Minification settings? I can hardly follow the discussion and every time I post someone brings up something different. I think if you want a proper discussion about these things, you should start a separate thread about one subject so we can properly focus the discussion.

The thread is about "Stutters" as I stated on my first Post

[quote:1b834pl4] What are the issues?

-Stutters on exported Games made on c2/c3

-Code Executing is much slower on Webview than Canvas+, as a result, making some Games unplayable

And if you go farther down there is a section (Tests & Capx for "Stutters") where I post a Capx & two Videos Test done in (iphone6 & iphone7)

Note:

1-The stutters issue is not only locked to Apple devices as it happens on Android swell so it makes sense that anyone experiencing the stutters will replay to this post doesn't matter is using Apple or Android Devices

2-As we don't have any official explanation pointing directly to what is causing the "Stutters" yet, we have to keep guessing, testing, and sharing experiences, probably that's why you find different topics related to stutters

3-The PathFinder case I think that I explained already

================================================================

But is ok, now don't worry about it as I will answer my own Questions by myself

Based on the Blog post from today (The architecture of the Construct 3 runtime)

[quote:1b834pl4]The Goal of this thread?

[quote:1b834pl4]-Why are this issues still happening in 2018 with all modern devices

Because is still using The old runtime

[quote:1b834pl4]-what is the cause of this problems

The old runtime — and most other existing web-based engines — are essentially locked to the same CPU core as the browser. It uses the same execution thread as the browser itself does for many tasks, known as the main thread. This means if the browser does some work — or even an iframe or background tab, in some cases — it can interrupt the main thread and prevent the runtime from doing work. This is one of the causes of jank (small pauses that interrupt the smoothness of the game)

[quote:1b834pl4]-And what are you Scirra doing to Fix these Problems? especially now that you started to charge Yearly Payments

/b]

We are aware of the Problem and we working on a fix in the New Run Time

===================================================

Since I know this now I can finally decide what to do next instead of waiting for answers and possible fixes

-I know it cannot be fixed in c2/c3 and there is no (Webview or Canvas+) that can fix this, so I have to find a workaround and probably Start removing important elements from the Game example (PathFinder) and any other thing that pushes a little bit the Engine to stop the Junk, I'm not happy with this but what can you do is that or no Game at all

-Option two will be to wait for the (New Run Time) and finish the Game there but the problem you haven't give us an estimated date to when the new Run Time is coming out, it can be (days, months, years)

You see it wasn't that hard isn't it, we would have avoided many misunderstanding & confusions and stress unnecessary if we had gone straight to the point

• The last thing I will say and this is in a friendly way you can take the advice or not take it, its all up to you, is not in any way attacking you or trying to give you bad imagen to the Company

I will kindly advise you to higher someone qualifies to Run your customers service specifically (Problems & Issues)

I worked more than 10 years with many different companies as a customer service adviser wich from many duties involves (Refunds & Returns) of products (Faulty and no Faulty)

All these companies had many Rules and Policy to how to deal with the customers and I can Guarantee you that none of them violates the top ones

1-If a customers come with an issue with any Product

-Apology to the customer immediately for any inconvenience that it may have caused and be polite, here including customers that come shouting and screaming makes no difference you stick to the Rules

-Listen very carefully to the customer to try to identify what is the issue so we can act accordingly and effectively, avoid any arguments as the customer is already pissed, the number one most hated by the customers is to find an Employer that hasn't got a clue what is the customer talking about

-Once the problem is identified let the customers know that we gonna do anything to resolve the problem example (Replace or in some cases send it to repair) or in some cases money Back, by doing this you give to the customers' peace, comfort and show them how valuable they are

There are many more Rules and policies but I give you just this three for now.

but you know if the company knows that that particular issue with the customer complains is related to one defect well know by the company don't you think that the company will give not only one apology, they will give hundreds of apology and kiss his ass not keep arguing with the customer instead

As a company, you have to be prepared and expect that you will have many customers unhappy or frustrated, that's why all these companies they spend Money to give proper training to their employers and for what I saw is working really well for them, because they understand how valuable are their customers and how to retain them not only focus into grab a new ones. Retaining customers is more valuable than grab a new one as these customers will return many many times and spend more Money as they are Loyal to the companies.

• There are many more Rules and policies but I give you just this three for now.

but you know if the company knows that that particular issue with the customer complains is related to one defect well know by the company don't you think that the company will give not only one apology, they will give hundreds of apology and kiss his ass not keep arguing with the customer instead

As a company, you have to be prepared and expect that you will have many customers unhappy or frustrated, that's why all these companies they spend Money to give proper training to their employers and for what I saw is working really well for them, because they understand how valuable are their customers and how to retain them not only focus into grab a new ones. Retaining customers is more valuable than grab a new one as these customers will return many many times and spend more Money as they are Loyal to the companies.

I agree with this staement. If Scirra wants to join the big boys and be thought of as a subscription service (Adobe, Microsoft etc), they need to work on their customer service. I have read numerous threads where Scirra staff/owners have either interjected sarcasm or, what seems to be, rudeness. Comments from Scirra such as "relax, it's not the end of the world" etc. come across as unprofessional.

Imagine being served a cheeseburger at mcDonalds without the cheese, complaining to the manager, and he retorts with "relax...it's not the end of the world".

I know customer service can be trying at times, but that goes with the territory of business.

• Well that goes both ways. You don't insult someone, and then ask for "special sauce".

• Well that goes both ways. You don't insult someone, and then ask for "special sauce".

Example from this thread please?

• > Well that goes both ways. You don't insult someone, and then ask for "special sauce".

>

Example from this thread please?

I don't feel I need to talk about what I just talked about.

Of course we can go out of the thread:

• >

> > Well that goes both ways. You don't insult someone, and then ask for "special sauce".

> >

>

> Example from this thread please?

>

I don't feel I need to talk about what I just talked about.

Of course we can go out of the thread:

Your'e confusing customer dissatisfaction with "insults". Last time I checked, I'm entitled to an opinion as a paying customer - or have you simply fallen in love with every single item you've ever purchased?

• Well gee, I don't remember accusing anyone of fraud if that's what you mean.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • [quote:2bhlzlh3] You don't insult someone, and then ask for "special sauce".

Sometimes that is exactly how you get the special sauce without even asking, ( in the food industry of course ).

• Well gee, I don't remember accusing anyone of fraud if that's what you mean.

Keep drinking the Kool Aid - Camp Scirra, where "lifetime" support/updates actually means "until we move onto v3 - then youre slowly forgotten".

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)