Big sound lag on some Android.

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
105 sound effects for your monsters in your video game.
  • Yepp, the same guy (link) ashley refer to is where I found out about the issue as well. That the issuea are worse in oreo than in nougat.. but I thought it were fixed in pie..

superpowered.com/android-audio-latency-problem-just-got-worse

• Well that´s just terrible from Googles side... Though it doesn´t fully explain why I have lag with Chrome but no (or significantly less) lag with Samsung internet. Any clue why that may be?

I´m kinda glad my games timing isn´t based on sound though...

EDIT: Oh wait, I´m still on Android 7.1.1 so maybe it´s that.

• Ok, this is my first venture into Android mobile land with Construct 3 but I must admit Im a little shocked.

Before we kill this thread off only to be resurrected by the next poor sucker who ventures down this road.

Please Ashley if you could confirm the following.

1) You are essentially saying that 300-400ms sound lag is normal and accepted on android games on what must be over 90% of devices?

a. If this was the case then I don’t think anyone would be playing games on android. I have just played geometry dash on 2 of the offending devices and there is no perceptible sound lag when dying or when entering a portal. (I would estimate it is under 3 frames at 60fps)

b. The superpowered website is talking about a general RT lag of 30-50ms for 99% of android devices , this would be acceptable and almost non perceptible for most gamers however this is 10 times less than what we are seeing with the Construct exports something dosent add up?

c. If you are saying that 300-400ms is generally the accepted norm with Construct 3 games or mobile javascript games in general (and only native can give you low sound lag) then you are admitting that Construct 3 games on android are not actually viable. Is this so?

2) The superpowered website are selling Javascript audio libraries that boast very low latency.

a. Can these be uses with construct scripting?

b. Could similar tech be used for Construct audio?.

3) The superpowered website database shows that IOS has low sound lag on all devices. Like less than 12ms on most of the range as compared to the 30-50ms on android. Which is why it is the choice for audio applications I assume.

a. But do construct games also display this low latency on iphones. Or is there an extra 250-350+ milliseconds added into the path like on android? (I ask As I am ready to ditch Android and embrace apple if this was the case)

• 1) I don't know - it's to do with the wider Android ecosystem, and it seems clear there's a widespread issue with audio latency on Android in general. This is Android we're talking about, not Construct, so it's out of our hands.

2) Probably not, and besides if you ask people to install something extra, most people won't bother.

3) I'm not aware of any issues on iOS. This is an issue specifically with the Android OS only.

• No offence Ashley but you didn’t really answer anything there.

Im not blaming Construct, Im pretty confident that you have done everything in your power to get sound lag down within the scope of the engine. I get that there are multiple parts to this equation. However there must be a reason that Geometry Dash and COD et all can get down to ~50ms sound lag on the same devices that Construct games are giving 400ms and if it something we can bring to Google then isn’t it worth doing so even if they’ve heard it all before?

• I'm not the right person to ask. This appears to be an issue to do with the low-level details of the Android OS's audio stack. I don't have expertise in that specific area so if you keep asking me questions about it I'm probably going to keep saying that unfortunately I don't really know.

• OK then cheers, I will try to raise with the G men for FWIW.

I still love construct BTW.

Blizzcon / Overwatch 2 OMG ! 😮😮😮

• Yeah touch lag ...is a real pain.....even after using a good processor phone

• NetOne

Slightly off track. Anyone with Apple I phone?, are you getting similar lag on website? (Wondering is this actually just a Android issue)

I just tested through the website:

S8

I believe it performs better than Apk but there is still some lug

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8cnjqi54no347c/s8%20browser.mov?dl=0

===============================

Also I did a quick Tested through the website with the iPhones (6, 7 Plus & 8 Plus) there is no lug at all on all the devices, you can hear the sounds changes instantly but however there is something weird, the sounds are different than Android as there is a distortion sound like a car and affects all the iPhones

Here is an iPhone 7 Test through the Website using Chrome:

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vuu8ipzw57a7ls5/iphone%207%20%2B%20chrome.mov?dl=0

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • tarek2

What?!?!?

You give such hope showing that beautiful low lag on IOS but then....

... You take it all away with that horrible mutant sound..!

What is that? It is lower pitch and distorted on Ios across 3 devices...?

Man i was just about to get a mac mini and iPhone for testing but i cant justify if there are further issues on IOS.....

Maybe it's just a bug with the frequency change??? It wouldn't be that common to use in games. Do other games exhibit different sound between IOS / android?

Hmm.. thanks again , this is very revealing... I think i will raise a bug later linking your vid if you dont mind.

• NetOne

You give such hope showing that beautiful low lag on IOS but then....

... You take it all away with that horrible mutant sound..!

Haha sorry mate it looks like they trying to make your life a little more harder, yeah the lag if there is, it's not noticeable when you play it, at list for me.

Maybe it's just a bug with the frequency change??? It wouldn't be that common to use in games.

Yeah, it happens in all the devices maybe is a problem with frequency as you said but to be honest not really sure what can it be, I have no experience with audio.

Do other games exhibit different sound between IOS / android?

All the games that I tested made in construct (IOS/Android) I never experienced any problems with the audio this is the first time

Hmm.. thanks again , this is very revealing... I think i will raise a bug later linking your vid if you dont mind.

No problem mate

sure use whatever you need

================

I did another test just in case to check that its nothing related to the web specifically, so here are the results:

Iphone 8 Plus:

IOS ver: 12.4.1

Chrome ver: 77.0.3865.103

Using your link: yamaforce.com/ironpan/open/soundlagtest

And also by just Previewing over Wifi your c3 Project:

Results: >>>>>>

Chrome Test: The same as the Iphone 7 Problem

Safari test: The same as the Iphone 7 Problem

===================================================

I created an IPA and I install it on the iPhone 8 Plus: The same as the Iphone 7 Problem

Heres a video running the IPA

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q17u7phiitu2epp/iphone%208%20plus%20ipa%20sount_test.mov?dl=0

Not sure if any one else is having the same problem testing on iPhones?

• Cheers tarek2 youve been super helpful there.

ive raised a bug report. https://github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues/3457

Ive linked to your vids but if you want/need to delete those video let me know and I can stick them on my gdrive no problem.

Im thinking I could get an Ipod for now so at least I could test websites on IOS apparently they have the same chipset as an iphone 7. But will just wait to see what Ashley has to say regarding this. As it may be again outside his control. If so then its back to desktop apps or I have to learn to program with JUCE.

edit< just been down the apple store, ipods are tiny! Too small for major gaming or music apps. Maybe just good as music player. So I await see what Ashley say.

• OK, just to close the weird pitch issue on IOS

(especially for anyone thinking about trying to make synths instead of games like silly me)

The bug has been closed with a solution.

Im not going to get too tech here as Im not too tech on the matter. Have a look at the bug link for more info.

But... The sample used for the test is known as a single cycle waveform and was taken from a well known sample library. Problem was that single cycle waveforms are very short. Like milliseconds short. Too short for the IOS audio minimum sample buffer is seems. The minimum buffer was being looped but the sample was smaller than the minimum buffer size. And this makes total sense with what is being heard.

This is not an issue on Android, but who would want to do anything with audio on android with all that lag !!!.

So this can be solved easily by using a longer sample or looping the sample a few times in an audio editor and re-sampling it.

Thanks everyone for their input. especially tarek2 and Ashley. Looks like i will indeed be joining the Apple fraternity now (something you would have never heard me saying a few days ago!!!) as I would like to explore this music instrument side of things a bit more. Cheers.

• NetOne No problem)

Interesting, good to know for the future Thanks

Looks like i will indeed be joining the Apple fraternity now (something you would have never heard me saying a few days ago!!!) as I would like to explore this music instrument side of things a bit more

The performance of the Apps is far much better than android making it easier to create Apps that need performance, also the colours display is super, I find much easier to create Graphics for the Game Design on iOS than Android, example if I put the same graphics that I use on an iPhone App into a "Samsung" phone it will look horrible because they burn the colours too much, iOS has that magic touch that any graphics you put into it look Awesome, definitely its worth trying it even with all those annoying things that you need (Provisioning profiles, keys) etc...

Good luck mate

• The performance of the Apps is far much better than android making it easier to create Apps that need performance, also the colours display is super, I find much easier to create Graphics for the Game Design on iOS than Android

Hmmm, no, absolutely not true. Maybe if you compare a $1000 iPhone with a $300 Samsung, but if you compare iPhone with similarily priced Samsung it definitely does not look better. My 4 year old S6 Galaxy still looks better than most iPhones to me, although this is obviously somewhat subjective.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)