Android Cordova running noticeably jerkier then Web version

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
A simple Map Editor that where you can edit a map with restriction or totally. You can save and load the map created.
  • Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone might have some ideas here. I've tried wrapping a few of my games using Cordova, and while testing the debug versions I notice they are quite jerky / stuttery. The Web versions on the Sam phone work perfectly smooth.

I wod like to get to the bottom of this, but dont know where to start.

Thanks in advance :)

• In my experience it varies quite a bit depending on how old the device is. My android game "Santa's Christmas Jump" (https://techboxnorth.com/santas-christmas-jump/) runs very good on my Samsung Galaxy S7 but is barely playable on my not much older Galaxy Tab. I think there was some new things in cordova games now that has no support in older android devices. Haven't tested on iOS. Ashley or some one else from Scirra can provide better answer.

• We can only guess without a thorough run-down of the details of affected devices, including their specific model number, Android OS version, etc.

• Ashley My device is HUAWEI Nova 3i with Android 8.1, but I've also tried on Galaxy s7. Both of these phone run the Web version perfectly smooth, but as soon as the game is Cordova wrapped, there is noticeable stutter / slowdown.

On iOS this doesn't seem to be an issue, and the game run smoothly all around - right now there is the freezing issue though.

It's frustrating as the game looks so good as a Web app, yet as Cordova it looks horrible. I'm not really sure how to bug report this... Should I provide a small project that you guys can build for android and test?

• ">I'm not really sure how to bug report this... Should I provide a small project that you guys can build for android and test?"

Ninjadoodle

Go here and file a bugreport by following the guidelines and usually it doesn't take very long to get an answer: github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues

Looking forward to find "Towerraid" on the iOS app store soon! ;)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • There's nothing much we can do about app vs. browser performance - the performance is determined by the Android System Webview, so this would be something to report directly to Google.

As far as we know Android apps run fine in the majority of cases, but this might be related to WebGL 2 issues on Mali GPUs (but hard to tell because nobody's mentioned which Construct 3 version they are using... this is why we need comprehensive details in every case...) or possibly a reappearance of this issue (hard to tell due to lack of diagnostics in the webview). Maybe you could connect USB debugging and see if there are any logs in the console? The C3 runtime should log warnings if there is an obvious performance problem.

• Ashley Thank you for the reply. I've tried both r136 stable and the new r139. I've had a look, and my phone does indeed use this 'Mali-G51 MP4' GPU.

It's a shame this, as my game runs perfectly fine on an old iPhone 5s, and yet on a new Android it looks like it's struggling. I'm kind of hesitant releasing an app on Android because of this.

So, from what I understand there is nothing that can be done to improve this unless Google fixes the bug/issue?

• Ashley Thank you for the reply. I've tried both r136 stable and the new r139.

And...? Were they the same? Different?

• Ashley Same issue in both ... web app works perfectly smooth, and the debug apk is very stuttery.

• Ashley Sorry, just in case you missed my previous question, I just wanted to ask about the slow / stuttery Cordova exports again ...

So, from what I understand there is nothing that can be done to improve this unless Google fixes the bug/issue?

Thank you!

• Yes, there's very little we can do about it, as I mentioned previously:

There's nothing much we can do about app vs. browser performance - the performance is determined by the Android System Webview, so this would be something to report directly to Google.

• Ashley I've had a good play with this, and the stuttering issue doesn't seem to be a problem with the latest beta :)

• We haven't made any attempt to resolve this in the latest betas, and as noted, there's nothing much we could do even if we wanted to.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)