ZigZag Ball - Developed and published in under 5 hours

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
Bouncing ball
$9.99 USD
Template for a bouncing ball game, fully documented in comments and video
  • I developed and shipped to the Play Store in under 5 hours (without today's update that let's you choose from 12 balls).

Here's the breakdown of the things done:

• Put on paper the basic idea and look
    • Created the game layout in Photoshop
    • Created all the assets (platforms, ball, background, title screen, crown pickups)
    • Animated the assets in After Effects
    • Put everything together in C2 and created the gameplay and logic
    • Implemented Google Play leaderboards and achievements
    • Waste almost an hour on a stupid syncronization bug (different framerates = different restuls - was not using delta time)
    • Choose appropriate music and sounds and plug them in
    • Create all the promotional materials (screenshots, mockups, icons, etc)
    • Publish on Google Play

About the game:

ZigZag Ball is a simple one-tap game where you have to keep the little ball on the moving platforms while collecting "crowns" and increasing your score. The gameplay mechanics are simple, but surprisingly a lot of fun and makes you want to "try again and again" as some of my friends put it. With the aesthetics I tried to follow a similar style to Monument Valley. While not even getting close to that level of quality and talent, I still believe the game looks quite nice and clean. You can also, as of today's update, collect and spend crowns in order to change the appearance of the ball.

Google Play Link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ovgames.dumbball

Screenshots:

I would really love to hear your feedback on:

Performance

On a scale of 1 to 10 how fun do you believe it is

Is it too hard or too easy for you?

What would you improve?

Thank you for reading!

• Performance

On a scale of 1 to 10 how fun do you believe it is

Is it too hard or too easy for you?

What would you improve?

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T110

• Little bit laggy, my guess is around 40fps. It wasn't problem...well I thought it wasn't..(more on that in the next device summary)
    • 6 - my record is 20pts, about 30 tries. Than I got frustrated and quit. Maybe I would quit earlier if it wasn't for testing.
    • It's hard.
    • For me it was too hard, but I'm new to portable devices and touch controls.

Samsung i9300 Galaxy S III

• Good, smooth.
    • 8 - record is 55pts, again around 30 tries, but this time I didn't feel frustrated and enjoyed it more.
    • Easier then on the previous device, because controls reacted as they should an there were less mistakes.
    • I think it's good as it is.

GIGABYTE GSmart Guru G1

• Bit laggy, same as with the tablet.
    • 6 - 19pts, 10 tries.
    • Last device tested so easier then on the tablet, but still harder because of small lags.
    • Performance.

About the lags

If I've never tried it on the S3 cell phone, I'd happily play the game on other devices and would't care. Those lags are minuscule and the devices aren't new either (GSmart should be most powerful of those three devices. Don't know where was the problem. Maybe because Android v4.2...).

edit>

Is it typo ("Unlock new bals") on the third screenshot?

• Nice!, i like this game

• cioclod Thats a really nice game, Could you please tell me how did you create Leaderboards please? Which tutorial did you follow? Which plugin did you use for it?

Thank you

• Noga

Wow, thanks a lot for the extensive feedback, I really appreciate it

About the performance issue, there should be none. I mean, it's unacceptable that a game so simple should create performance problems on basically any device. So it's definitely a problem on my part or on how C2 exports the game or maybe Crosswalk.

Either way, bottom line, game should work smoothly on all phones and devices. I'll look into performance.

Again, thanks for downloading and for the feedback

• This game blew up on iOS. Wow.

• This game blew up on iOS. Wow.

Was quite unsure myself for a moment, but I don't think this is the game

that is published by Ketchapp atm. It is called ZigZag, this one here is ZigZag Ball.

Seems to be a clone of the big hit.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

• Yes, it's not the original. As you can try, the link in the first post doesn't work. The author had to take it down from Google apps store, probably because of the name conflict. Now you can find the game here, under a new name "Dumb Ball".

I'd like to hear from cioclod what was the problem.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • cioclod Very nice work. Did you get flagged by Google/Ketchapp for IP infringement?

• Yes, it's not the original. As you can try, the link in the first post doesn't work. The author had to take it down from Google apps store, probably because of the name conflict. Now you can find the game here, under a new name "Dumb Ball".

I'd like to hear from cioclod what was the problem.

Noga aquinn

Here's what happened. I got an email from google saying that I'm breaking the policy on "impersonation" of another IP. I emailed them back and they told me it's because I used the term "Monument Valley" in the game's description. What it said in the description was this "graphic style similar to Monument Valley".

Apparently you're not allowed to use in the description any other name that you don't own. That goes for everything, from car names, to character names, to other game names.

So, I simply removed that reference and re-uploaded.

• cioclod Interesting - I also had a similar experience with Super Hero Boy, they removed word 'sonic' from my keyword list for the same reason. (i.e Sonic the Hedgehog)

• Thanks, that's useful info.

• cioclod Interesting - I also had a similar experience with Super Hero Boy, they removed word 'sonic' from my keyword list for the same reason. (i.e Sonic the Hedgehog)

Yep. learned my lesson as well. No more names or brands

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)