Protopilot - Simple, challenging physics infinite flier!

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Basic Rounded Vector Geometry Player Design with Glow for 3 player games
  • http://www.kongregate.com/games/DatapawWolf/protopilot

There's the link to check it out on Kongregate. It's browser-only, and lots of fun! If you're interested, there's also an ultimate challenge ship that even I'm not good at.

I've primarily used the physics engine and tilemaps for Protopilot. So many tweaks and modifications. But the final product is decent, in my opinion.

• I like it.

It has a very presentable, simple art style ^^

Good for short sessions.

• vikuserro thank you for trying it out! ^-^ If you know anyone interested, give 'em the link. I need players and feedback. Hoping to hone my design skills as much as I can!

• Really enjoyed it. I was pretty surprised after crashing my first time and seeing a completely different format of the level for the next run which was quite interesting.

I tried all ship colors(4) and found out a couple nice things.

• Controls

The controls are fairly simple and the explanations at the lower part of the page aswell but you missed to add on how to start, which is holding the space bar or any click from the mouse for the count down. If using the keyboard keys, the ships will go in a straight line when pressing neither up/down except for the yellow one which is unable to move in a straight line. If using the mouse, the difficulty increases as the ship will try to stay in the same position as the arrow and will end up waving up and down along the way. It is useful to rely on the mouse since the path ahead can have tight corners, and some ships can handle better a sharp action with the mouse than with the arrow keys when moving; it also increases the difficulty a little more. For a more stable ride, use the keys.

• Movility/Acceleration

Blue - Seems to be the most stable one. It has a nice pace and it moves pretty well both with keys and mouse. I was able to make a score of 20k easy with it. I never noticed it accelerating so I consider it to always go at the same speed.

Red - It starts off the slowest but catches up in acceleration. I was facinated by its movility with the arrow keys. It seems to be the second quickest one to react and it moves nicely with the mouse aswell. The slow start and easy mobility make it perfect to practice, though I noticed it began to accelerate as the ride progresss. I couldn't keep up with its acceleration after reaching around 15k in score. Everything seemed to move as quick as with the Green ship, if not close. Challenging none the less and probably my favourite ship of all 4.

Green - The fastest one by means since starting out. Its quick to move and react and the speed makes up for a chellenging ride. Recommended to move both with keys/mouse for its acceleration will innevitably bring you into a quick and changing ride. Blink for too long and it might end up too fast. I liked it, though I wasn't able to make up more than 13k on the score. Will surely come back to it and try to catch up to the Blue ship score.

Yellow - Starts out at a nice pace like Blue. It reacts well to keys and mouse, but it is impossible to go in a straight line unlike the rest. Its by far the hardest ship to move around, it didn't take away from the challenge of the game, if anything it increases it drastically and I was able to go out with it for a score of 9k after some rides. If using the keys, after shifting up or down, giving a suddle quick click in the opposite direction brings the ship to a quick stable point of movement, but since it can't go in a straight line it will keep inclining up or down very slowly. Recommended to try with keys but if you want to up the difficulty even more use the mouse.

• Help Icon/menu

When pressing the help icon at the top left I was prompt to four small squares on the right and a large rectangle on the left. When pressing the sqaures nothing showed up, so please look into it.

• Other notes

Overall, I really liked it. Bookmarked it as I plan to come back to it to beat my own scores again too.

Each ship keeps a different score alike. Not sure if that was intended but it was useful.

The graphics, though simple, are well presented as mentioned before by

The music was perfect for this sort of game and it matched with everything else.

It is a very nice game, simple, straight to the point, challenging and with a lot of potential for future updates. I'll be looking forwards to it if you plan to make improvements or add anything new.

Keep up the good work!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Kiozuky thanks so much! You're my first player to provide this length of feedback. I really appreciate it. :)

The controls are fairly simple and the explanations at the lower part of the page as well but you missed to add on how to start, which is holding the space bar or any click from the mouse for the count down. If using the keyboard keys, the ships will go in a straight line when pressing neither up/down except for the yellow one which is unable to move in a straight line. If using the mouse, the difficulty increases as the ship will try to stay in the same position as the arrow and will end up waving up and down along the way. It is useful to rely on the mouse since the path ahead can have tight corners, and some ships can handle better a sharp action with the mouse than with the arrow keys when moving; it also increases the difficulty a little more. For a more stable ride, use the keys.

realize now that I did not explain the mouse usage correctly, including starting the ship. You do not have to hold the mouse down for the entire ride. My own strategy is to click for brief moments above and below the ship. Would it help if I added click feedback so that the player knows better what their input is actually doing?

Blue - Seems to be the most stable one. It has a nice pace and it moves pretty well both with keys and mouse. I was able to make a score of 20k easy with it. I never noticed it accelerating so I consider it to always go at the same speed.

Red - It starts off the slowest but catches up in acceleration. I was fascinated by its mobility with the arrow keys. It seems to be the second quickest one to react and it moves nicely with the mouse aswell. The slow start and easy mobility make it perfect to practice, though I noticed it began to accelerate as the ride progresss. I couldn't keep up with its acceleration after reaching around 15k in score. Everything seemed to move as quick as with the Green ship, if not close. Challenging none the less and probably my favourite ship of all 4.

Green - The fastest one by means since starting out. Its quick to move and react and the speed makes up for a chellenging ride. Recommended to move both with keys/mouse for its acceleration will innevitably bring you into a quick and changing ride. Blink for too long and it might end up too fast. I liked it, though I wasn't able to make up more than 13k on the score. Will surely come back to it and try to catch up to the Blue ship score.

Yellow - Starts out at a nice pace like Blue. It reacts well to keys and mouse, but it is impossible to go in a straight line unlike the rest. Its by far the hardest ship to move around, it didn't take away from the challenge of the game, if anything it increases it drastically and I was able to go out with it for a score of 9k after some rides. If using the keys, after shifting up or down, giving a suddle quick click in the opposite direction brings the ship to a quick stable point of movement, but since it can't go in a straight line it will keep inclining up or down very slowly. Recommended to try with keys but if you want to up the difficulty even more use the mouse.

n all honestly, the red ship is my own favorite. And you are completely correct about the yellow! I designed it by essentially taking out the auto-correction that all other ships have.

However, you did not discover the secret ship! It's the most challenging of all, and precisely for the reason that you've not found it! Riddle that one. ;3

- Help Icon/menu

When pressing the help icon at the top left I was prompt to four small squares on the right and a large rectangle on the left. When pressing the sqaures nothing showed up, so please look into it.

'm not sure why, but the small, embedded videos I have implemented have difficulty showing up from browser to browser. I'll do some more tests on different platforms, and check to see if anything has changed recently, code-wise.

- Other notes

Overall, I really liked it. Bookmarked it as I plan to come back to it to beat my own scores again too.

Each ship keeps a different score alike. Not sure if that was intended but it was useful.

The graphics, though simple, are well presented as mentioned before by

The music was perfect for this sort of game and it matched with everything else.

It is a very nice game, simple, straight to the point, challenging and with a lot of potential for future updates. I'll be looking forwards to it if you plan to make improvements or add anything new.

Keep up the good work!

hanks again! I'm glad you enjoyed it. ^-^

• Kiozuky thanks so much! You're my first player to provide this length of feedback. I really appreciate it.

Your welcome. I take my time playing every game that I can and always provide as much feedback as possible, both the good and the bad and your game is quite nice. I'm still playing it now and then at work. Got a friend to play it too. He's hooked to the music you placed in the game so he really liked it and was able to beat my scores too after a while.

I realize now that I did not explain the mouse usage correctly, including starting the ship. You do not have to hold the mouse down for the entire ride. My own strategy is to click for brief moments above and below the ship. Would it help if I added click feedback so that the player knows better what their input is actually doing?

Yes, I believe it would be most useful.

However, you did not discover the secret ship! It's the most challenging of all, and precisely for the reason that you've not found it! Riddle that one. ;3

I didn't but as I mentioned, I had a friend play it. He happened to find the ship before I did lol. I tried it aswell.

Your "colorless" ship proved to really be the hardest of them all. Good job on that one.

I still haven't been able to load the explanations from the icons in the help area.

And once again, very nice game. Keep up the good work.

• Nice game. How did you download the soundtrack - I can't figure how to download one from the site you linked to?

• Nice game, love the retro feel, a bit like scramble....now theres an idea !!

• Hey everyone! I recently ported over the game to Kongregate as an exclusive there. I would love if I could get a few ratings on the game!

http://www.kongregate.com/games/DatapawWolf/protopilot

Also, I fixed the tutorial videos. They work! Also, used WebGL to color-coordinate the screen UI to the ship color! It's not perfect but I think it works for now.

And finally, particle emitters are fixed. Before, the result was different if you used the mouse versus keyboard. It's better now, hahah.

• Callan S, sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. So you'd have to use the Magnet Link with something like uTorrent (http://www.utorrent.com/intl/en/downloads/win) because the only download available currently is through P2P. The magnet link is available here: http://dreade.com/nosoap/download.php

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)