New go at C2-made website!

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
From the Asset Store
Make your own platformer for both the web and mobile easy with this Santas Platformer Template, FULLY DOCUMENTED
  • HEY Peeps! I'm working on a website for myself, all made in C2! Its working quite great i think! maybe not the most searchenginable, but.. i'm willing to take it.

Have a look, and please give me feedback! On design, usability, readability, navigationability etc etc.

jonatankrogh.se/v11

• That's pretty cool!

• Well, well. Although i do think Construct could be effectively used for web-design, I'd advice to stick to a good old html boneframe to lay out the general structure, have some divs for texts and so -- specially since you are using (actually mimicking) a very classic, left-side menu template.

You can use functions to interact the html with the "game". For example, get your content hidden with css and when the "game" is loaded change the css with a construct function. You can do that!

Having the whole thing in construct has some problems. Searchability apart, texts tend to look blurry, you can't copy things, etc.

• Hi megalocrator! Thanks for the advice, sounds good! I have close to zero experience in HTML and "real" coding, but I'm quite good at eating tutorials. Do you know any resource where I could learn the basics for what you're talking about? And/or could you make a small .capx showing the general idea?

• Hehe fair enough. But that's a big answer you asking for... and Im not myself that savvy.

You should learn at least a bit of html (dead easy), css (the design part), and javascript (the only real progrmming here, the other two are more like layout languages). The old classic way was the w3schools.com, but there should be thousands of alternatives nowadays. stackoverflow.com is also very useful, more like a Q&A forum.

Here's a very old mockup I had somewhere, is only half sketched but will do as an example. (Not a very good one concerning txt blurriness, cause I used some css text shadow I think. And also seem to take ages to load. Oh well). I seem unable to write a link properly in this damn forums so here's the address:

WEB c2web.netlify.com

The capx ( drive.google.com/open ) is unimportant here, it only contains the animated background, and this following line of code:

which calls the function “carga()”. But this function is not inside the construct project...

When you export a html5 project from C2, what you get is a webpage containing your game, like this:

ZIP drive.google.com/open

The file index.html is always the start (in this case the only) page in any website. Here is where the game “happens”. And here I built a simple structure, with a menu on top and some text in blocks (called “divs”; mind the text is not in the capx), and made the game “happen” in the background. You can edit html files with any text editor, but there are many (brackets, notepadC++) specially designed for coding. If you open index.html you'll see this structure, and also that “carga()” function that I called from inside the capx. What this function does is set the whole content (the aforementioned “structure”) visible, as I set it invisible by default. Why? Cause I dont want the text being shown while the game (the background of my site) is loading. Similarly, you can call a Construct function from the html (change music or images when a link is hit, for example). Functions are a straight way to interact capx and html, and a very powerful one too, as they let you do nearly anything.

I've used myself construct to make simple presentations and portfolios, but those were no webpages – I rather called them “online apps”. And people seemed impressed lol.

• HUGE thanks! Just what i needed!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • HUGE thanks! Just what i needed!

Website looks good design wise... but...

why aren't you doing this with wix or a service like it to drag and drop things? is going to be way faster performance wise since is a normal website, and multi-platform compatible devices etc / responsive (meaning will fit any device orientation etc... compared to the current website). ur wesbite is cool in C2 but will have a lot of major limitations and you will probably need a huge tutorial list to create a search database. unless u use google search but that won't work for C2 websites cause there is not sitemap.xml to index ur pages.

i suggest you in a friendly manner, try wix. believe me it will save u a lot of pain down the road.

and no this is not a wix advertising... is just makes more sense.

Edited: if you are worried about pricing there are other services that are completely free and splash free for drag and drop website creation. just google some of them visual coding website creator etc...

if u worry about powered by at bottom of page... that can be hidden very easily with a little bit of css even though is not recommended if the provider of the tool is enforcing it by their TOS.

anyway cool stuff :D i like the music u featured there.

• Thank you for your advice. I really get your point.

Some questions then:

Is there a Good service like that, that is free, or with a small one time payment, where you can hide the "powered by"?

On this page I have a full-screen procedurally generated background, that I can only make in construct, unless I want to learn a new language. Is this possible to include on these services?

Cheers!

• Some questions then:

Is there a Good service like that, that is free, or with a small one time payment, where you can hide the "powered by"?

On this page I have a full-screen procedurally generated background, that I can only make in construct, unless I want to learn a new language. Is this possible to include on these services?

Cheers!

wix is my best advice for the $ and as a never touched programming before person, has a subscription month but... u can get 1st month free trial with no splashes and i think u can export the website and host it on ur own hosting service in the trial not sure, or get their plan for 5$ a month and u can edit the website unlimited times create unlimited websites and databases and have hosting included which is not that bad is 99.97% up-time which is normal for any hosting service since there will be downtime for maintenance once a year for like 5 minutes.

if u dont want their hosting u can pay 5$ for 1 month then cancel the subscription get ur custom website done in that time export it to html5 get the zip files and put it on ur own hosting and no splash powered by nothing.

as for the full-screen procedural generated bg, all i see is some leaves in the background moving around on my end... are those what u call procedural generated? u can do the same thing either by putting a video in ur website bg or using prebuilt js that u can find on jsfiddle or other websites like it even putting ur c2 animated bg as an iframe as the bg of ur website crazy right? xD there are many other services like wix a lot of website hosting providers offer easy website builders that have drag and drop functions. but wix as i said for a person like u that never touched coding is my best advice to u. and is rather cheap. probably by 2019 since we going to pass into the next year soon, are already existing better intuitive UI's then wix's but i tried it a long time ago 1 year probably and their system of making websites stuck in my head, cause of the simplicity of it. i don't use it, cause i like doing things manually and have control over my own hosting and editor when comes to websites (notepad++ lol). but over C2 capabilities id go with wix, even though i been praising Construct for years now, and it can indeed make great stuff on designing apps/websites/games/movies etc it is not entirely made for all those things, so there will be a lot of issue you will face. but if u are happy with C2 u should keep using it for ur project, just on my end as i tested ur project now, i found 5 glitches by using only my 1 button which is click on mouse. one being on the very 1st page when u scroll up and then press the text saying "have a look around ..." text and all disappears outside menu. that wouldn't happen in a normal website as a glitch.

and if u think html5 coding is hard don't worry nobody really memorizes the code... every programmer has a notebook somewhere reminding him what his code does. if u wanna learn some html5 best advice is start with w3school tutorials they cover everything literally and their example are so simple u will get it immediately u can even copy paste the code from there lol and do ur own website from the tutorials only.

have fun again, like what u did with ur website it has personality.

• I'm also looking for a website creator so I can make a website to put my C3 games on. Any suggestions?

• I'm also looking for a website creator so I can make a website to put my C3 games on. Any suggestions?

I like word press as I found it simple and easy to use.

• Yeah, I'v looked into WordPress. Can you make a website to upload C3 games onto? If so, do you know how? Do you have one I can look at for an example?

Thanks

• Yeah, I'v looked into WordPress. Can you make a website to upload C3 games onto? If so, do you know how? Do you have one I can look at for an example?

Thanks

Currently I don't have a website ready to be published and I haven't gotten into submitting my games to my website yet. I'm sure it's possible to upload your games to a WordPress site, you would just have to do some research on how to.

• Google about iframes I think.. and that seems to work more or less everywhere.

Now stop derailing my thread that was supposed to be about making a website IN construct. Or for me actually mostly to have fullscreen construct-made interactive stuff going on on your website!

Can you have a full screen iFrame as a background in Wordpress, that reacts to user inputs, while the rest of the Wordpress parts still work as normal?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)