Super Mario Bros. 1-1 remake

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A collection of various characters spritesheets for creating a 2D top down, RPG, tower defense, or other similar game.
  • To get a better feel for c2 I decided to remake level 1 from Super Mario Bros. as close to the original as possible.

http://www.scirra.com/arcade/addicting- ... mario-bros

Probably a couple of bugs and I'm not too happy with the star movement. The multicoinbox is just a coinbox for now. The flag moves in the wrong direction.

Update.

Fixed the multicoinbox and fixed the flag.

Added the missing turtle enemy.

• I thought I was actually playing Mario after a little while. Good job!

• Solid work!

• Thanks for the kind words.

Updated the flag pole and added the hidden coinbox.

• Hi there. Good start.

There are many details you ignoring these.

• The mario is jumping very high.
    • When shoots fire not animation is played.
    • No points appear when you step on an enemy.
    • No turtles.
    • Improved the effect when Mario gets a power, homgo or flower. (Big small, large, small)

Still have bugs, such as when the fire mario falls to the floor, sometimes bounces very high.

• Changed Mario's jump strength.
    • Added firing animation.
    • Added point popup.
    • Added pipe movement.

Mario's fireballs is just bullets at the moment and thats why they act weird from time to time. Overall I'm very pleased with the game. Don't think I have seen anything as close to the original made in c2 before.

• It's pretty cool I must say. There's a few details missing here and there but I liked it and "believed" I was playing Mario.

• Good job, seems like a great exercise.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Update

• Changed coin-popup
    • Added ?-box animation
    • Added coin animation
    • Changed falling animation
    • Added Flower animation
    • Added Star animation.
    • Added pipe sound.
    • Mario can now push the turtle shell.
    • ?-boxes only give of one bounce.
    • Fixed basement coin layout.
    • Flower is no longer aligned with the box.
  • There are a lot of things that make this *not* feel like a Mario game, but most importantly are the platforming physics. It's so easy to get wrong and so many fan games do. This bothers me. Call it a pet peeve.

Mario needs to accelerate to his max speed, not just get there instantly. His jump strength (and gravity) need to change depending on how fast he is moving. His jump needs to be higher if you hold down the jump button.

To get a better feel for c2 I decided to remake level 1 from Super Mario Bros. as close to the original as possible.

When I see something like the bolded part above, and the platforming controls aren't right, it REALLY bothers me. In fact, it bothered me so much, I spent the last week making this.

• You have the superior clone. No doubt about it.

Do you use default platform behavior? Do you use the real x, y vel? You have really nice details. Having point popups following Mario's x is a nice one.

We still have similar issues:

• Big Mario should slide off the box, not bounce against it when not breaking it.
    • The star does not bounce against "brick" boxes. It needs it own family to collide against.
    • Even the flag pole shares the same issues when hit with low x-vel.
    • Just watching the gombas for a while makes them stick together. I fixed this with a separate box for turning.
    • Contiguous walking to the left when big Mario on an edge with around 16 pixels of gap will kill Mario. Does Mario die when ofscreen?

Too bad that playing stuff in the wip "REALLY bothers" you. But maybe you got something out of it. Maybe a better feel for c2. Else you gonna waste a lot of weeks.

• Wow, good start man

Of course there are some things that don´t work 1:1, but hey...it´s a work in progress

• Do you use default platform behavior? Do you use the real x, y vel?

Yes, that is the built in platform behavior. I just use some events to tweak some numbers (such as max speed, gravity, jump strength, and acceleration) under the right conditions.

- Big Mario should slide off the box, not bounce against it when not breaking it.

This is one of those things where the amount of effort spent trying to fix it would be better spent developing a custom platforming behavior where you can easily tweak the fine collision details, but at that point, I may as well not use Construct.

- The star does not bounce against "brick" boxes. It needs it own family to collide against.

I did kinda rush this one because I wanted to post the game, but getting it exactly right would require a lot more studying it, and I really wanted to get this done within a week.

- Even the flag pole shares the same issues when hit with low x-vel.

I'm not really sure what you are talking about here. I zero the player's X velocity and set their X position when they touch the flagpole anyway, so I'm not sure how a low X velocity could affect it. if you mean it gets activated before you actually touch the pole, that can be fixed with a simple X position compare.

- Just watching the gombas for a while makes them stick together. I fixed this with a separate box for turning.

Fixing this wouldn't be too hard if I could reliably reproduce it.

- Contiguous walking to the left when big Mario on an edge with around 16 pixels of gap will kill Mario. Does Mario die when ofscreen?

???

All I do is adjust the player X position if they are outside the bounds of the screen.

Too bad that playing stuff in the wip "REALLY bothers" you. But maybe you got something out of it. Maybe a better feel for c2. Else you gonna waste a lot of weeks.

Considering the goal here was to clone a Mario game, and the core aspect of Mario games is the platforming, I really think you should have spent more time on it. Getting other minor details wrong doesn't bug me nearly as much as getting the core gameplay wrong. I didn't even bother making anything else work until the platforming was just right, because it's so monumentally important in a Mario game.

If you don't want to spend that much time on the platforming, perhaps you should try cloning a game with easier platform controls? Like Megaman? No X acceleration to worry about, no differing numbers based on how fast you are moving. All you need to work out is jumping higher by holding the jump button, and that's pretty easy once you know the trick (reduce player gravity immediately after jumping and while the jump button is still held). I don't know the exact mechanic Megaman uses to determine when the jump-hold effect should forcefully end, but Mario 1 ends it once you start falling, and Mario 3 ends it once your Y speed is high enough (above -2 pixels per frame, or -120 pixels per second). Figuring out how Megaman does it should be pretty easy with an emulator that lets you view the game RAM in real-time. Also stepping frame by frame. Lots of stepping frame by frame.

• 404 - File or directory not found. ?

• Link broken scirra arcade

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)