Stolfenwein 3-D - RayCast Engine for Construct2

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Make your dream action platformer game effortlessly with this template!
  • Feature Bonanza, up next:

-Splash damage from explosives. Not instant, but the good one, you know, like in Blood where you get pushed away over time and take damage.

-Enemy hit zones, e.g. for headshots

-Akimbo (dual) weapon wielding

-Decal rendering for floor / ceiling (blood pools etc.)

Still looking into alternative rendering methods.

The leap to C3 runtime looks promising performance wise, but we have issues there. There is no raycasting plugin (trace, chipmunk, Box2dPlus), so Xresolution times for loops with step size 1 have to do the job. Is that feasible?

Also, what to do for drawing semitransparent / masked walls elements. Raycasting surely has it's limitations there.

Currently I'm looking into abusing Gigatron's 3d quad shader for wall rendering. Problem is with Construct there is no real z buffer, so the z sorting has to be done per object. This can be done really fast, the walls however have to be sliced up properly to prevent clipping issues.

Just to give you some insights on the current state of development.

Cheers!

• Wrote a custom TMX parser to read Tiled xml map information.

Also, I'm in the process to create templates for all the map assets. This will basically allow custom mapping with Tiled. I'll then also provide a mapping guide.

The basic format is the usage of polyline and box primitives for walls & zones, points for pickups (green), enemies (red), decorations (blue) and player start.

The main roadmap goals are now to release a stripped down version to showcase / distribute the framework & continue development of a full game.

Cheers!

• Your last updates are sounding so awesome. Will there be a download coming in the near future?

Keep up the good work!

• Do I need to install all the plugins to see the game ?, why not upload a video to YouTube ?.

• Hi,

a downloadable capx will follow once I have the base version (stripped of some 3rd party plugins). Will still need plugins like Chipmunk etc. I can only work in some spare time on it right now, so let's see.

Probably yes it's a good idea to have some video footage. Have to put together some 30 / 1 min gameplay. I'll see what I can do.

Cheers & thanks for the continued interest in this project!

• Ahhh this is really neat—I've been parsing through your .48 version trying to understand it—really clever—! Can't wait to look at how you have optimized it since then.

• I've been porting it to C3:

Subscribe to Construct videos now
  • I would love to see the last capx for c2 too.

Maybe i will join the c3 train later this year.

Keep up the good work!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I would love to see the last capx for c2 too.

Maybe i will join the c3 train later this year.

Keep up the good work!

Hi, thx for your continued interest and support!

I fear that this will not be possible, as the last state (53 or so) is not ready to be released without major commenting and code cleanup. I decided to put the effort in porting and developing the engine to C3.

If there is enough interest, I may consider backporting the dev state to C2 (tilemaps etc), but it would be a major effort.

I'm still evaluating what to do with it. Instead of creating a template I'd rather look for devs that want to collaborate and are serious about creating a game that sees the light of day.

Cheerio!

• I understand that. Thanks for all your hard work!

• hi sorry to bother you I wondering if you are still working on this I would love to play about with this engine. and would be more than happy to pay for the finished version

• PrinceofMars Haha, you, me, and everybody else is excited about (t)his engine!

Colonel Justice I was coincidentally watching some Doom 1 and 2 longplay videos a few days ago. I remember thinking to myself, imagine being able to create your own 3D, even if pseudo, game with a program as simple as Construct. I would also be excited to see a commented C3 file, and/or videos about how to make your own game based on your engine.

I know you're looking to sell a game using your own engine, but I think there is also, if not more money to be made selling your engine. I mean, you obviously have gotten the attention of a lot of people with the few videos shown. So uhm yeah, make sure you maintain the rights of what you created, before someone else takes off with it!

I guess what I'm trying to say is, shut up and take our money!

• Hello I'am in huge need of help. I have problem with wall rendering and I can't figure why.T_T I adding link to 7zip file with example of your engine ( events non disable are the ones I need) and mine which is kinda messy but I hope you sir will find out why.

Thanks in advance.

Files:

dropbox.com/s/x5a0y436uh6pvxj/HELP.7z

• Hello again I fixed problem with walls they now render but wonky.

and in middle they look like one side is further than other.

Thanks in advance.

• Hello again I fixed problem with walls they now render but wonky.

and in middle they look like one side is further than other.

Thanks in advance.

This looks like either math is wrong or a pixel rounding issue (wall render stripes being not integer widths).

Which files do I have to look at in your shared folder?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)