My isometric RPG

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Make your own Isometric RPG, Visual Novels, or Story Driven Puzzle game!
  • aw man that's a shame. But probably unity makes more sense for the kind of game you're into (10k objects ffs). I hope we hear more from it -- in these forums or wherever. Don't you have a working name yet, so we can keep the track of it? "Isometric RPG" might be difficult to find outside this thread

• yeah Drew, you should setup a Steam Concept page and put your progress (devlog) there, then when it's time to go to greenlight you may already have a bunch of people's interest for voting..

• aw man that's a shame. But probably unity makes more sense for the kind of game you're into (10k objects ffs). I hope we hear more from it -- in these forums or wherever. Don't you have a working name yet, so we can keep the track of it? "Isometric RPG" might be difficult to find outside this thread

I'll make sure to post a link in this thread so all who were following the game will be able to get the new updates in the new thread. The new thread will probably be in either the open topic or game discussions sections, whichever makes more sense. I'll probably just call the thread "My isometric RPG- Unity port" when I make it. It'll probably be a couple months at least, but I'll make sure people know.

I have not decided on a name yet. I've got a bunch of ideas down for possibilities though.

And yeah, working in 3d has been much better for this type of game. If you watched my video on level construction, you'll see why. There will hardly be any visual difference in moving to 3d, but I'll have a much easier time of creating levels, animating characters, generating pathfinding, using physics, or just making adjustments since 3d can be updated whereas 2d must be re-rendered and uploaded.

• yeah Drew, you should setup a Steam Concept page and put your progress (devlog) there, then when it's time to go to greenlight you may already have a bunch of people's interest for voting..

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Once I get the Unity port looking like my C2 prototype, I think I will do that. The release date is still a few months away. I want to get it done this year, but with all that's going on right now, I am giving myself some leeway to ensure that the release is satisfactory.

• Your game indeed look amazing, I'd love to play it.

I read sadly that you decided to move to an other engine, although I understand your reasons. If you don't mind, can you talk about how you set up your pathfinding system for this game? I liked how seamless it was in your videos. The official plugin does have a bit of latency, even at big cell sizes.

• Thanks!

It's been a long time since I've even opened C2, so my memory of how I did everything is a bit hazy, but I can help as best I can.

I used multiple layers and built separate objects to act as the obstacles. As you can see in the screenshot below, the "red" objects are the obstacles for pathfinding. They are basically just a small square image that I enlarged and rotated until it fit under the walls. Place these at the base of objects or walls. Make sure there is enough room for the player to get through.

Now, I can't remember what I did for the doors. I know that they block the player until opened. I probably regen the obstacle map (only around the object, not the whole map) or something when they open.

The player is pinned to a small square sprite. This allows for rotations while keeping the player sprite upright. Also, I use the rotation of this object in the even sheet to set the appropriate player animation (walk upwards-left, walk down-right, whatever).

Looking at the player, the cell size of his pathfinding sprite is 32. For faster rotation when taking off to walk, I manually set the angle of the pathfinding sprite, but that's optional.

Anyway, I'm not sure what else to say, but let me know if you have any questions.

P.S. Here is a screenshot from my Unity port. Note that this is merely a graphics test to see if I could make it look as good in 3d as my C2 2d pre-rendered game. This is not finished by any means, so things will definitely change. It's not even a complete level. It's just a test area. I am building a modular set to quickly build large levels. This screen is just to show how it is coming along.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • DrewMelton Thank you for the detailed answer. It did contain some useful information. As soon as I'll have some free time, I'll do a few tests and see how it works out.

Your Unity port looks promising as well, I wish you good luck for it. If you don't mind my asking, I'd have some questions about that as well:

• Are you coding it in C# or are you using some visual programming plugin?
    • I read that you tried UE4 as well (If I remember right). Why did you ended up using Unity instead of UE4?
  • DrewMelton Thank you for the detailed answer. It did contain some useful information. As soon as I'll have some free time, I'll do a few tests and see how it works out.

Your Unity port looks promising as well, I wish you good luck for it. If you don't mind my asking, I'd have some questions about that as well:

- Are you coding it in C# or are you using some visual programming plugin?

- I read that you tried UE4 as well (If I remember right). Why did you ended up using Unity instead of UE4?

I'm coding in C#. I have Playmaker, but decided that I wanted to finally learn to code. I feel like it gives a bit more control, not to mention that if I ever join a team, saying I can program vs saying I only know how to use Playmaker or UE4 Blueprints or whatever, is a big selling point. Also, there are a lot of books and tutorials that are in C# (but not Playmaker). The next book I am going to read is strictly about A.I. programming.

I liked UE4, in fact I still say it has a better graphics engine, but the ease of use with everything that comes with it gets in the way. When you want a customized game with specific features, all the nice features of UE4 tend to not help much, and may even make it more confusing. The visual blueprint nodes can look like mush after a while, and you have to bounce around a lot between sections.

Unity in C# is very straight forward once you learn how it works. Everything is done from a centralized location. Every object has components that can be attached plus enabled/disabled at will all from the same screen. This makes it easy to accomplish certain tasks. For example, let's say you have a c# script that highlights the object on mouse over, well just grab it and attach it to the new object. That's it.

I also feel like Unity is a bit easier to work with in general due to smaller file sizes for easier backup, and access to the asset store with plenty of examples and cool stuff made by professionals who specialize in one particular area. For example, the animated shaders in the Diablo style health and stamina globes you see above were assets that I bought because I do not have much experience in creating animated shaders. They look great in motion. The rest of the HUD I made myself, of course.

Well, anyway, let me know if you have anymore questions. I need to head out for a while.

• DrewMelton Thank you for the detailed answer. I might start C# myself one day, but currently, I'm still learning UE4 and it's logic. I feel that looking into Unity will be easier once I get around in UE4. For the moment I don't have any more questions, but I'll post here if I happen to have some more. Thank you.

• Hello my dear friend, how is your work? It's over?

• Hello my dear friend, how is your work? It's over?

Well, the game still has a long way to go. However, I am making great progress.

Like I said a while back, I am using Unity and C# now. The game has shifted to be more of an RTS than an RPG. I wanted more open ended gameplay so I could focus more on gameplay than story/length. I want it to be replayable.

Here is a recent screenshot. It has volumetric grass that sways in the wind, and the water has small waves. If you want to see it in motion, follow my youtube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/ThreeBlade ... =0&sort=dd

My next video will show off the new units, new animations, and some other stuff that you see in that screenshot. Also, since I am using Unity, I will no longer be updating this thread. However, I will still respond to questions or comments.

• This is some really good work. From what I have seen in the video the battle seemed to go on a bit long.

Everything else looks great though

I hope you bring out a playable demo?

I'd like to try it out.

Good luck with this project.

• Oh wow this is awesome!

The latest CRPG I played was called "Underrail" and it had amazing writing and gameplay. Can't wait for this one.

• The project is amazing, congratulations.

Is there a test version?

• The project is amazing, congratulations.

Is there a test version?

At the moment no, but I'm getting more and more gameplay done as time goes, so eventually I would like to release something playable.

I'd like to have some basic sound effects, maybe some music, and get the game to a more polished state before I release anything. So, probably within a few months.

Feel free to follow my youtube channel for updates since I will not be posting here very often. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvDojR ... kmQw98IsFw

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)