My isometric RPG

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Make your own Isometric RPG, Visual Novels, or Story Driven Puzzle game!
  • Wow this is awesome man! Nice work, any plans on making it published or multiplayer? Would be nice to play it

• Wow this is awesome man! Nice work, any plans on making it published or multiplayer? Would be nice to play it

At the moment, I am learning Unreal Engine 4. Since I'm working in 3d anyway, this opens up the kinds of games I can make. The game I'm working on now is a deviation from this. It'll be more of a third person stealth game. I may make an isometric game in the future, but it is a bit of a hassle. If I do one, it'll probably be pure 3d. Pre-rendering 3d to 2d sprites like I did for this game was a bit of a pain. There were also some issues I had with making this game in C2 such as units overlapping, difficulty with multiple enemies, being limited to a small isometric grid, and whatnot. I even passed the 10,000 image limit, so I can't even preview or use the debugger.

Anyway, for updates on my projects, just follow my youtube channel. I update it with new videos whenever I make worthwhile progress. I will most likely not be updating this thread anymore, but I will respond to questions.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ThreeBladedSword/videos

• I'm sorry to hear that the limitations became too much

• I'm sorry to hear that the limitations became too much

I feel like the project could have been completed, I just felt like I was always working against the grain, pushing the engine and trying to find workarounds.

What bothered me was that the games that inspired me to create an isometric game like Age of Empires or Baldur's Gate did this stuff 15 years ago with many more objects on screen, no overlapping units, large levels, many effects, large isometric buildings, advanced fog of war, and so on, and there were so many things that I could not recreate. Believe me, I tried.

Honestly though, I think this is a good a time as any to learn a new engine. It will simply give me more options. I'm not really abandoning the project as much as I am "postponing" it until I feel like I could do the game justice. It was a great learning project and helped me get started with game design. The game I am working on now is a little more straight forward as I mentioned in my last post, and Unreal Engine 4 is designed for this type of game. I think that makes a big difference. Work in the engine that it is designed for the kinds of games you want to make.

Hopefully, in a new months, I'll be able to show off my new game, though since it not be a C2 game, I'll have to post it in the open topic section or something.

• DrewMelton

Hi,

Do you use UE4 with Blueprint or with C++ template?

Good luck with UE4 ^^

• DrewMelton

Hi,

Do you use UE4 with Blueprint or with C++ template?

Good luck with UE4 ^^

I'll be using Blueprint with UE4. I'm more of an artist than programmer. So far, I like it better than Unity+Playmaker.

• great!

• I feel like the project could have been completed, I just felt like I was always working against the grain, pushing the engine and trying to find workarounds.

What bothered me was that the games that inspired me to create an isometric game like Age of Empires or Baldur's Gate did this stuff 15 years ago with many more objects on screen, no overlapping units, large levels, many effects, large isometric buildings, advanced fog of war, and so on, and there were so many things that I could not recreate. Believe me, I tried.

Honestly though, I think this is a good a time as any to learn a new engine. It will simply give me more options. I'm not really abandoning the project as much as I am "postponing" it until I feel like I could do the game justice. It was a great learning project and helped me get started with game design. The game I am working on now is a little more straight forward as I mentioned in my last post, and Unreal Engine 4 is designed for this type of game. I think that makes a big difference. Work in the engine that it is designed for the kinds of games you want to make.

Hopefully, in a new months, I'll be able to show off my new game, though since it not be a C2 game, I'll have to post it in the open topic section or something.

I can definitely see that. I was doing some composing stuff with a limited edition software. Constantly running to a wall of limitations was rather frustrating eventually. I must say that you surely will have more leverage out in the gaming market with UE knowledge!

• Damn man, it reminds me of Flare... but better done!

GREAT WORK!!!

• I even passed the 10,000 image limit, so I can't even preview or use the debugger.

A few months ago I also encountered this problem ... Ashley said:

[quote:2lvh7p2p]Sorry, there is nothing we can do about this. The Windows OS itself has a limit of 10,000 graphics objects per process, and the editor needs at least one icon per object not including everything else a typical Windows app needs, which is probably pushing you over the limit. Addressing this would require fundamentally rearchitecting the editor. This work is being done for C3, but it is too late for C2. I am shocked that anyone would ever run in to this limit anyway, since that is a truly extraordinary number of images to be using. All you can do is try to reduce the number of images used, or one other workaround is to export your project every time you want to test it, which applies spritesheeting and reduces the number of images.

I thought for a while, until there is a development - get rid of extra animation frames, leaving only what is necessary to test the number of frames

• >

> I even passed the 10,000 image limit, so I can't even preview or use the debugger.

>

A few months ago I also encountered this problem ... Ashley said:

[quote:1k7cxor9]Sorry, there is nothing we can do about this. The Windows OS itself has a limit of 10,000 graphics objects per process, and the editor needs at least one icon per object not including everything else a typical Windows app needs, which is probably pushing you over the limit. Addressing this would require fundamentally rearchitecting the editor. This work is being done for C3, but it is too late for C2. I am shocked that anyone would ever run in to this limit anyway, since that is a truly extraordinary number of images to be using. All you can do is try to reduce the number of images used, or one other workaround is to export your project every time you want to test it, which applies spritesheeting and reduces the number of images.

I thought for a while, until there is a development - get rid of extra animation frames, leaving only what is necessary to test the number of frames

Yeah, I kept it to just the two characters for as long as I could for this. However, working (and trying to show off) a game with missing animation frames isn't enjoyable, and maintaining two copies was a bit annoying, so I eventually just lived with it. There were also times when I needed to test animations for triggers or whatnot, so not having all of them made some tests impossible.

Anyway, it's a bit of a moot point since I am postponing the project for the moment while I work on my other game in UE4. When I restart this project (or a variation of it), I will mostly likely do it in an engine that supports 3d. It makes it so much easier. Being limited to 2d just isn't my thing. That and I would want more console export options.

• :D Sounds like an awesome game! Looks super fun too!

Thanks! The Unity port is coming along nicely. It should be even better than what you see here. I'm in the process of moving, so I am a bit behind, but I will eventually create a new thread in the open topic section showing how my game is coming along now that it has been moved to Unity.

Things to look forward to in the port:

improved animations

improved HUD

new enemies

more textures for environments

improved object interactivity and highlighting

larger levels, and more varied rooms

improved water

pathfinding with physics

new abilities

character redesign

Some of that is only now possible since I moved to Unity since I needed 3d functionality to be able to do this stuff.

I still want to get it done by the end of the year, but with all that is going on, I'm not going to force myself to release until I am ready.

I am currently learning C# and Unity. Like I said, I'll post a new thread somewhere on the forums showing my progress, probably in a couple months. I have no energy right now with moving and needing to stay with relatives for a couple weeks during all this mess, but hopefully I'll be back on track before long.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I even passed the 10,000 image limit, so I can't even preview or use the debugger.

you can bypass that by loading the sprite sheets from a online storage(ftp,server etc) that way you wont have the images in the game all the time but will download them only when they are needed the rest of time they get flushed.

• >

> I even passed the 10,000 image limit, so I can't even preview or use the debugger.

>

you can bypass that by loading the sprite sheets from a online storage(ftp,server etc) that way you wont have the images in the game all the time but will download them only when they are needed the rest of time they get flushed.

Thanks, although it would be better if C2 just created the sprite sheets on preview. I heard c3 may address this, but who knows.

Although, again I will most likely not be coming back to C2.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)