In the Grey (Worth continuing?)

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
Grey Cyborgs character spritesheet for side scrolling action adventure hack and slash 2D mobile game.
  • A nice little puzzle platformer I've been working on. Arrow keys and WAD to control the guys.

http://www.christopherjfagan.com/#!in-the-grey/mvng5

Let me know if you think it's worth continuing, and if so feel free to suggest ideas going forward

• It's a petty cool idea for a game!

I only had 2 issues, both with the keyboard.

First, on the first few levels you had the white character on the right, but controlled with the WAD keys, and the black character on the left controlled with the arrow keys. Having the keys on the left control the character on the right (and vice versa) was very disorienting.

Second, because of keyboard ghosting I had a hard time jumping and moving both characters at the same time. Requiring someone to press 4 keys at once is going to cause some grief with more than a few matrix keyboards.

You've got a great concept, and with some tweaks I think it could be really cool.

• absolutely... why not? it's unique...

• you had the white character on the right, but controlled with the WAD keys, and the black character on the left controlled with the arrow keys. Having the keys on the left control the character on the right (and vice versa) was very disorienting.

I think that is on purpose... it totally gives you that learning-to-play-something-on-piano-with-hands-doing-2-different-things feeling. but further than that.. it really screws with your brain..

it just needs some sort of story and music to sink you into that world... and sound effects..

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yeah I think this is a good idea you could definitely expand upon!

• >

> you had the white character on the right, but controlled with the WAD keys, and the black character on the left controlled with the arrow keys. Having the keys on the left control the character on the right (and vice versa) was very disorienting.

>

>

I think that is on purpose... it totally gives you that learning-to-play-something-on-piano-with-hands-doing-2-different-things feeling. but further than that.. it really screws with your brain..

it just needs some sort of story and music to sink you into that world... and sound effects..

It was on purpose at first, for the reasons you mentioned basically. However I have had this comment a couple of times now so I've already swapped them. Music and Sounds are something I wanna work on too, I've got a friend who is a great musician.

I hadn't put much thought into story, was treating it more like N Game with just levels I guess. Any ideas?

• ryanrybot - I've changed the controls already, just not in this version. Thanks for the comments!

bclikesyou - Thanks man! I certainly will!

• I hadn't put much thought into story, was treating it more like N Game with just levels I guess. Any ideas?

sure!

How about: These little guys are the "foremen" for "their side" of the central nervous system/or brain. Like how people sometimes have strokes and half of their body is useless but the other half is fine.. so these dudes have lost control of their "sides" and need the player to help them work together in concert. It doesn't have to be too specific backstory. It can be bare bones like Super Meat Boy.

I like how the vibe of the game is like it's in an old TV.. so that reminds me of like being in someone's brain or something...

I'd go with the confusing left/right thing... I actually really like it.. I'd map the right dude to a left analog stick (xbox controller) and left trigger/bumper to jump and vice versa for the left dude... WASD and Arrows is kinda yuck.. I'd make it a sit-back-on-the-couch game.

Ever play SUPER SUPER SUPER? it reminds me of that.. my 6 yr old LOVES that game. All that game does is make you hold the controller different directions based on what color you are:

Y=jump, B=move left, X=move right, then you hit a new color and the controls change: Y=move left, A=move right, X=jump

this was SUPER confusing at first.. then I was like.. oh wait, just turn the controller to the right and hold it sideways!

• jobel Wow thank you for the great comment! I really like the idea of them being foremen in the brain. I'll check out SUPER SUPER SUPER too. Xbox controls are also gonna be added. Thanks again!

• That's a pretty interesting idea. It's going to take a lot of practice to play well lol. Keep going!

• roguecore Will do! Thank you

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)