[closed] Umbra... Now available on Steam

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Vintage steam pixels for your UI! 125 unique assets in a single pack!
  • MadSpy, you're pretty good at this (and I'm pretty not-good at creating a robust player FSM, it would seem). New version posted...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • OK, by my counting that's a total of 25 alpha versions of level 1 so far....

• waitting to start the second ^^

• i've got another one Colludium

• MadSpy - I've got another fix for you to check out! I re-wrote the piranha FSM - I hope it passes your testing....

• Passed

• MadSpy,

• Hi,

I tested on an old laptop to see what happens (core2duo p7xxx 2GHz, 3Gb, gt9400).

10 first sec 4~6 FPS else 12~17/18FPS but the new controls greatly helps for playing but ambiences'sound are ugly

I recommend you to check if the frame rate is below 20 ---> disable ambiences'sounds (just keep sfx footstep)

Else new controls new controls are really much better (they help the fluidity of gameplay)

Nice job again

• MadSpy - thanks for the older hardware test. My biggest concern with this project is people playing on 'average' hardware - and a core2duo isn't that old....!!

One thing I'm considering is reducing the default window size and then giving the player the option to up-scale if they think their hardware can cope. Presently the game is 1280x720 with Full Screen Scaling : Low Quality; but perhaps I might be better off starting with something like 960x540 or even smaller... and then you can just drag the window to increase the viewing area or maybe I could add a menu option as well....

Anyone any alternative suggestions? I suspect GPU fillrate is the culprit as the physics engine is hardly tested.

• if I can I will try to test test on Amd E1 / intel celeron and intel N3000 serie

• Thanks MadSpy - if it's anything older than 5 years old then I won't be advertising support. I think any GPUs older than that will struggle with rendering all of the layers I have (not many, but these are the problems we face..).

• older than 5 years old.... maybe P4 3GHz with Nvidia 6600gt 2GbDDR ? ^^

Amd Epu E1 is very common on basic/office PC

• MadSpy, I think I can guess how they will perform .

After this weekend's LD marathon I'm going to add a resolution / effects options page to the start menus, so players will have some control over what they see rendered if their machines struggle or have performance to spare. I will probably go for a lowest setting = lowest resolution with poor quality upscaling and monochromatic backgrounds, scaling somewhat to a top-of-the-range hardware setting that upscales to full HD with max visual effects. Should be a good diversion from planning level 2...

• So, after my Ludum Dare holiday, it's back to work! Level 2 design has started; I have a few traps in mind so far - I just hope I'm not being too ambitious (never, I say)!

Here's a snippet of my progress so far, just to prove I'm not just playing other people's games on LD:

• good news ^^

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)