Switch structures for dialog?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
a complete set of modular graphics, perfect for all kind of levelbuilding
  • Hey everybody,

I'm attempting to use the event system for "dialog", sort of. Essentially in my game you encounter an NPC and they say a line at you, and then you have some buttons to choose from to select your response, based on which they might have something else to say, or the conversation could end. I'm having a really hard time getting it working properly though, despite having tried a lot of different implementations. Does anybody have any insight as to how I could accomplish this? (Or even better, an example?)

Thanks a lot!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Could try using strings that are entered and tested as variables for the NPC dialogue tree in your event sheet which trigger further responses.

• I guess the problem that I'm having is that I'm not sure how to do that? I haven't had much success moving from one set of messages to the next - ideally what I'd like to be able to do is have a tree-like structure with several branching paths (that may or may not meet back up later). I guess I might just need to fiddle with it some more. It seems like my level of familiarity with construct might not be good enough yet.

• You likely should look into the XML object.

It can contain your dialogs as well as sub "actions" like what button to display, and you can get how many lines are planned in a dialog, or even a precise response.

The trick is that you have to make your own structure for the XML file. It is possibly advanced stuff indeed, and not that accessible to a beginner (I don't know what's your user level at the moment).

I've been asked to do a video for the C2academy that deals with making a RPG dialog system, and I'll make my best to deliver before the end of July. Stay tuned on the playlist.

• Thanks Kyatric! I'll give that a shot and see if I can't figure it out, but either way I'll keep an eye out for that. Looking through the how-to forum, it seems like you're usually the one with the right answer anyway.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)