Pls HALP! Can't release on iOS using WebGL, possible?

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
From the Asset Store
With this template you will learn how to use the GooglePlay Games native plugin
  • Hi there,

After 6-7 months we finally finished our Construct 2 game. The game is theoretically ready.. shameless plug : https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZS ... 25264&mt=8

Yeay finally confetti and such "' ' .'.' '' !

But it's not using WebGL and is heating up the phone like crazy. So we are sitting on it, not publishing until we fix this.

Anyway, it seems that I am also retarded and the entire process is highly convoluted for us retarded people, so I only managed to make it work and publish it by disabling WebGL while using Cocoon.IO with canvas+

As of now, does anyone know how to publish with WebGL on Cocoon or Phonegap? Is it possible at all?

When I enable WebGL it either gives me low color graphics like this

Or, like with phoneGap, it doesn't go beyond the beginning. It's just a dark screen when WebGL is on.

I'd really love to continue using Construct2 and I have like 3 embryo projects just waiting to be finished in C2, but I'm losing hope that we can publish them using Construct2 and I'm starting to think we need to redo them in Unity or something.

Thank you for reading through this 5 hours of sleep text, any help is appreciated.

• I don't have an iOS device so I can't say for sure... but typically any game that uses high resolution graphics and/or lots of action is going to cause high CPU/GPU load and subsequently heat the device up a bit (since it's working so hard).

I don't know why you'd be having issues with WebGL either, but it's been at least 2 years since I've used Cocoon for anything (and I've never used phonegap or XDX - they weren't around back then) so I don't know :/

Without knowing more about how your game works it's going to be really hard to say - but using another application to build your game probably won't change that if you're pushing hardware limits for the device. It won't matter if you use C2, Unity, C#, Stencyl, BuildBox, or a hammer and nails...

~Sol

• ^ This is rediculous, it DOES matter if you use Unity, C#, Stencyl, or BuildBox, etc. You've Been Brainwashed!!!

Only a fool would make a statement like this. C2 has terrible limitations that make it almost impossible to export anything worthy onto Mobile.

The process itself is a nightmarish headache!!!

I just got BuildBox and it's a million times better as far as exporting goes, with REAL NATIVE EXPORT!

Be careful what you say to others, they just might believe you..

• SoldjahBoy yeah you gotta check your statements Some of them don't work well.

My game is actually really low activity, minimum processing game and I optimized as much as I can. But not using WebGL really kills performance and it heats up.

STARTECHSTUDIOS I know it's REDiculous But it's ok. I'm trying on Buildbox for size but it's crashing quite often. It was the same 6 months ago. It's very well designed but if it's that unstable I'm hesitant to continue.

I'm completely fine to overoptimise, just that the entire process is so convoluted and a waste of time that I don't really know how to continue. Every step of the way you have to know some insider trick to make your app work, and it's senseless.

• ^ This is rediculous, it DOES matter if you use Unity, C#, Stencyl, or BuildBox, etc. You've Been Brainwashed!!!

Only a fool would make a statement like this. C2 has terrible limitations that make it almost impossible to export anything worthy onto Mobile.

The process itself is a nightmarish headache!!!

I just got BuildBox and it's a million times better as far as exporting goes, with REAL NATIVE EXPORT!

Be careful what you say to others, they just might believe you..

Brainwashed? Fool? Okay...

It's not C2's fault that the available wrappers (which are essentially software driven emulation) don't stack up well against a "native" application.

I can build a game in C2 (using NWjs), and have zero issues with performance - and build the same game in Processing or C# and guess what? It's exactly the same! I can add the same 10,000 sprites to my game in any language, and make them do the exact same stuff, and get the exact same results!

I think you're not only getting confused with how software works in general, you're lumping together wrappers and purpose driven code in the same basket... Sure BuildBox might have a better exporter for a given platform, that doesn't make it superior to C2 in the way the code or objects are handled on a hardware scale. All that means is that the BuildBox exporter is better than using something like Cocoon. Do you know the difference between a wrapper and native?

I also SPECIFICALLY SAID "if you're pushing the hardware limits of your device... it won't matter what you make it in"

So do you think if you have capped your fill rate on your GPU that another language will help? Do you think if you have maxxed out your processor by using too many loops or complex mathematics, that another language will be superior?

Now, are you done with childish insults that were unwarranted, not to mention incorrect?

damjancd

If your game is fairly minimalist, then I have no idea what could be causing the issue apart from specifics that may be related to Cocoon. I'm not exactly sure what else to suggest apart from waiting for Ashley to get back to you about your project file. Sorry bud. :/

~Sol

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yeah insults don't help no one here

SoldjahBoy we chatted it out with Ashley, turns out I haven't turned on WebGL, which Ashley correctly described as shooting myself in the foot

But I can't seem to publish ANYTHING with webGL (using cocoon.io nor Phonegap) so I guess I'm all out of foot.

• That's really weird... I published a game with the help of Kyatric a couple of years ago when Cocoon was in its infancy - using WebGL and it worked great. It's been so long now that anything I did is almost certainly irrelevant today. I wish I could be of more help, but maybe someone else will have some thoughts to add.

~Sol

• SoldjahBoy thats ok I am grateful for your reply!

*bows*

• Hi All! Construct 2 is a great Game Engine. I personally like it a lot and find I can prototype really easily. Don't know anything about Build Box but it is way too expensive for me right now. Making mobile game is still possible with C2 if you optimize your game good. Check out 2 of my games I did with C2 at itunes.

https://itunes.apple.com/tr/app/ninja-k ... 26249?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/tr/app/platfor ... 90516?mt=8

Btw I use Canvas+ with IOS but would like to know if webgl works better with IOS?

Regards

• Hi damjancd, have you tried using Intel XDK instead of Phonegap/Cocoon?

I've tried all 3 at some stage in my C2 career and find intel XDK easiest to work with. It used to be a pain in the butt it's gotten a lot better over the past 3-4 updates. If you haven't tried it and you want to check it out I've written some step by step tutorials on my blog. It's pretty straight forwards but there are a couple of little things to be aware of

http://megagamestudios.com/vegas-blog/

• Vegamon007 THANK YOU for the info. Will try to follow it to the letter. But how is performance? My main goal is to make the iphone not turn into an oven AND so it looks like in the CocoonJS testing app. Hope it's possible. Thanks again.

• damjancd performance is pretty decent in my games but it battery life definitely takes a big hit and phones (especially older ones) get pretty hot! Not sure about IntelXDK vs. CocoonJS when it comes to performance. Let me know how you go with the tutorials

• damjancd the only thing you can do to not fry eggs with your iphone, is that you need to limit the everytick checks of the webgl, and use it only when its needed... unless u have some webgl dependent effect which must stay always on, then ur pretty much... footless as you said.

as referring to compiling the best, i find intelxdk the best wrapper atm, its self explainable, no big things to understand to just "poop" c2 apps with it.

i dont know how you find yourself in this type of situations with compilers ... its like 1000th post complaining about compiler software that are doing "something wrong" to the .apk or .ios format.

never encountered any issues so far, the only issues i seen in my past projects, was that the projects where all messed up(unoptimized/bad event sheet coding) from beginning not the compilation process.

most people are co-dependent on function calls, while i get it its useful, its very cpu intensive when run'd in 100 loops or very fast conditions to almost everytick conditions.

also, you read the latest update? im guessing didn't applied in January, but now Ashley enabled 2 versions of webgl, so your app i think should work better, if you are re-exporting.

but then again, depends on the iphone ur testing the app with, early ios devices(before ios7 or 8 cant recall) dont support webgl, so its a big market issue with iphones there.

good luck, and hope i see ur game in the top charts soon, i love the graphics u made, they are amazing.

P.S the only compiler that i encountered issues with was the ludei one when they released in beginning in 2014 -2015 but then i switched to intelxdk and never had any compiler problems. never used phonegap mainly cause of their free app license

• damjancd just curious, if you want to keep using cocoon.io, have you tried compiling with WebView+ rather than canvas+ ?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)