Optimization of graphics question

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Over 1700 16x16 pixel art RPG icons for item and skills
  • Is it better to create basic objects outside of Construct2 then import them or to build them in it. By basic objects I mean simple colors/boxes such as a background color or menu bar color.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Since the word "better" is subjective in this particular context, the answer is a resounding, "It depends." I know that is not the answer you wanted to read but it is the correct one. If you are more comfortable working with an outside program, it may be better to create it outside then import it. If you like the internal editor and can work with it on your simple graphics, it may be best to use the built in editor. Only you can decide which method is best for you.

Personally, if I am just making a simple shape to use in a mock up or example, I use the internal editor. It is quick and easy to throw together a simple graphic and I don't have to take the time to switch programs. However, if the graphics I am building are going to be used in a real project, I will always use a more powerful image program to create my graphics no matter how simple they are. Even if I think it will stay as a simple box, there is always the chance I may decide sometime in the future to add more detail and I won't want to start from the very beginning. Having the image in a format that supports layers makes alterations much easier in my opinion.

• Since the word "better" is subjective in this particular context, the answer is a resounding, "It depends." I know that is not the answer you wanted to read but it is the correct one. If you are more comfortable working with an outside program, it may be better to create it outside then import it. If you like the internal editor and can work with it on your simple graphics, it may be best to use the built in editor. Only you can decide which method is best for you.

Personally, if I am just making a simple shape to use in a mock up or example, I use the internal editor. It is quick and easy to throw together a simple graphic and I don't have to take the time to switch programs. However, if the graphics I am building are going to be used in a real project, I will always use a more powerful image program to create my graphics no matter how simple they are. Even if I think it will stay as a simple box, there is always the chance I may decide sometime in the future to add more detail and I won't want to start from the very beginning. Having the image in a format that supports layers makes alterations much easier in my opinion.

I do not mean better as in ease of use, I mean better as in optimized and smaller file sizes.

• I´m pretty sure there is no difference once it goes to mono-colored things, as image-size is a mathematical thing, which should be equal within different pieces of software.

Only improvement I can think of is using JPG instead of PNG whenever it allows you to (no transparencies) The missing alpha channel in JPG will grant you a bonus in file size.

• I´m pretty sure there is no difference once it goes to mono-colored things, as image-size is a mathematical thing, which should be equal within different pieces of software.

Only improvement I can think of is using JPG instead of PNG whenever it allows you to (no transparencies) The missing alpha channel in JPG will grant you a bonus in file size.

Thanks for the response, that is good to know. I have been trying to compress images to keep file sizes low, but it sounds like Construct does it's own compression to the game anyway.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)