Many Instances or One Big Sprite

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
105 sound effects for your monsters in your video game.
  • What is better for rendering:

A - 3 different tree sprites repeated so that the total number of instances is about 50

B - 1 Large sprite with all 50 trees inside the image

In other words, should I use an image editor to create one big sprite with all the trees that I want to incorporate, or should I just make lots of instances of the trees inside the Construct editor itself?

• Its always better to use many instances of an object, than to make a big map with the tree duplicated many times.

• Pakost: Not sure about that; I had better performance when pasting 324 little tile sprites to one canvas and deleting them instead of using no canvas at all.

• I guess that all depends then... For 20x20 pixels sprites 300 times instanced, its better to use a 512x512 sprite i guess. But for bigger resolution you will need quite big map for all trees, and its a hell of a loss of pixels.

I might be wrong, but that's how I understand it.

• Does it depend on the pixels because either way the system will have to render it?

If I create 50 instances of a sprite, there will be an empty space in between each one. If import them into a png file, there will be transparent pixels in between each one.

Maybe, empty space is better than transparent pixels???

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Transparent pixels use graphic memory, so yes, empty space is better.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)