Looping background, best way to tackle this

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
10 Royalty free music tracks for your indie games and projects.
  • I want to make my looping background consume less memory (not that its a problem now, no lag here but I am pondering the best way to make a scrolling backdrop) and I am looking into different options to solve this. At the moment I have the background set up simillarly like it is in the infine runner tutorial but without the bullet behaviour, only as a self + value *dt fashion.

Now Ive briefly researched and found the following options:

1) Move background as sprite, move on everytick - like i have it solved now - read that its not the best of ways.

2) Use behaviours, bullet behaviour

3) Use behaviours, scroll to behaviour

4) Use tilable background - can lead to some issues when using different scale modes - is it possible to reload a different image during runtime?

5) Cut backdrop in unique pieces and saw using code

6) Cut backdrop into tiling pieces use code to saw and tile

7) Use tiles to create the backdrop on the go.

Now I understand that using tiles will limit me to a low res tiling map, 32x32 pixels, that is why I am also looking into different options especially for bigger res backdrops.

Any input regarding any of the above or even other options is very welcome. I alone am not to keen on using behaviours, rather go a longer way and solve using events, but in the end its the result that matters and if the behaviours dont limit my options, why not.

• [quote:1k0ciim9]Now I understand that using tiles will limit me to a low res tiling map, 32x32 pixels, that is why I am also looking into different options especially for bigger res backdrops.

Why would this be true?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean..

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • LittleStain

Well, if I use 32x32 tiles, and I want to make them tile and fit together and still be reused, I need to draw them small as in 1 32x32 tile is a repetitive tile.

Remember this is being loaded upon scrolling. Or perphaps I am limited in my thinking here?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)