Lap counter and Timer!!

1 favourites
From the Asset Store
Make a displayed number gradually increase or decrease, making an impression of a real-time counting.
  • Hi Guys

as you may guess im very new, Im seeing how much i can do within my ability before i fork out �71 to do more!! which i would like to do but dont see any point if im not really going to pick it up that easy!

Any way im going to try and make a basic Car game.

My idea:-

Drive a car around a track, If you touch the wall its game over, but see how many laps you can do in the quickest time.

I can get the game to end on collision with the wall but for the lap counter and timer i dont even know where to start??

Please can some one help in the most basic step by step form please?

Thanks

Ben

• Timers

• Why don't you play around with the free version, once you get to 100 events limit, purchase the licensed version. I did that. Also by the time you hit 100 events you will have gained insight into the workings of the software.

What plinkie link says - lol, is you are going to build components. You need to build the timer, you need to build the cars movement, you are going to need to build track(s) and all the wonderful things that make a game work (the background stuff is never simple, even for a simple game) BUT, C2 makes it easy, and a lot of fun. I catch myself trying to come up with different ways of handling a situation within the game.

Oh, I believe there is a car racing template to get you started. I haven't built car racing, but it is very doable.

Edit: Yip, C2 has example of simple car movement. New and select examples, templates etc etc.

• Why don't you play around with the free version, once you get to 100 events limit, purchase the licensed version. I did that. Also by the time you hit 100 events you will have gained insight into the workings of the software.

what do you mean by 100 event limit?? 100 limit overall and free version runs out? or 100 limit per game??

• You can use 100 events per project only in the free version

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Cheers any chance you can give some more help on a timer?? i.e where to start? thanks

• Benanna

30 seconds of work = Speedy Timer

• cheers mate!! i will have a look now

• That's more for a race or lap time though. If you want to get more complex you will have to use actual Timer behaviour. I can make an example when I have a bit more time.

• That would be brilliant if you could buddy!1 Cheers mate all works now!! only difference is i wanted it counting up but managed that!! any ideas on saving the time to view when game over? and also cant manage to keep the text in top left of screen when moving around the screen? i thought it was scroll to??

• Making a better one now to show off the actual Timer behaviour. One sec :)

Will add in the overview screen too.

• ok cheers mate!! any ideas on a lap counter?

• oh and have sort of sorted the scroll to by adding the timer to a new layer!! however when the car is far right on the screen i cant see the car!!!

• to keep the text at the same position put it on a layer called "HUD" and set it's parallax to 0,0

for timers and lap counters have a look at the Plugins form rexrainbow, I use his plugins alot.

check out the manual on "how to install plugins"

and to end the game if the player drives the car out of the screen just make an event like:

car -> on outside of layout -> destroy

car -> on destroyed -> go to layout "GAME OVER"

or something like this.

i very recommend you this Software. what you are willing to do is totally possible with C2.

• to count the laps i would creat a sprite called "finish_line" and a global variable called "laps"

and then do something like

car -> on overlapping -> add 1 to "laps"

try it on your own you will pretty soon be able to do such things on your own

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)