How do I switch to letterbox integer mode in run time?

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Full game Construct 2 and Construct 3 to post on Google Play
  • I'm working on some cross-platform projects, and have an issue. I want to use scale outer on mobile devices, but on desktop displays, this becomes unsustainable as the screen and resolution are just too different. Is there a way to switch the display mode at run time or some how emulate letterbox integer mode? I don't know of a way to center the layout according to the canvas. I need my game to be fullscreen on mobile but on desktop it's scaled up too much.

Is there a technical reason we don't have an event for this? If it's possible, I may be willing to pay for a plugin.

Here's a diagram of what I need:

I know there is a fullscreen browser event, but again I don't want fullscreen.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Sorry to say the following but this will also end up dead like the two previous requests for this.

HERE is my request if you're interested...

I have several friends that know JS quiet well that tried to "break" into the engines code and

make it possible for us to do this with a plugin or whatever.

Most of them failed or got weird results, either Ashley doesn't want this feature because it causes issues with

certain parts of the engine or browsers cause problems so that Ashley is not able to implement that currently.

These are all speculations though because no one seems to care about this feature that much to provide us with more information.

• Sorry to say the following but this will also end up dead like the two previous requests for this.

HERE is my request if you're interested...

I have several friends that know JS quiet well that tried to "break" into the engines code and

make it possible for us to do this with a plugin or whatever.

Most of them failed or got weird results, either Ashley doesn't want this feature because it causes issues with

certain parts of the engine or browsers cause problems so that Ashley is not able to implement that currently.

These are all speculations though because no one seems to care about this feature that much to provide us with more information.

I figured it would be something like this. It's really unfortunate because it's somewhat of a standard feature, and can be important for professional developers. How close where your friends able to get? I wish we didn't have to hack a solution but if one is possible I would be willing to pay for it.

I'm also not sure that it is a technical issue because people can do this in game maker just fine. I'll forward a feature request, but this really is not good for construct 2. It's ridiculous to have a game scale up so much on huge monitors, and I really need a way to prevent this.

• I tried myself and I figured out it's kinda C2 that is made like this. Basically you can do it but you have to refresh the layout to "apply" the effect.

Maybe I miss something.

• I tried myself and I figured out it's kinda C2 that is made like this. Basically you can do it but you have to refresh the layout to "apply" the effect.

Maybe I miss something.

That shouldn't be too much of an issue for me, as I could detect the device during loading and refresh. This is just the layout and not the actual web page right? Would you be able to disclose your method?

• Maybe I can try to do a plugin

• > Sorry to say the following but this will also end up dead like the two previous requests for this.

> HERE is my request if you're interested...

>

> I have several friends that know JS quiet well that tried to "break" into the engines code and

> make it possible for us to do this with a plugin or whatever.

> Most of them failed or got weird results, either Ashley doesn't want this feature because it causes issues with

> certain parts of the engine or browsers cause problems so that Ashley is not able to implement that currently.

>

> These are all speculations though because no one seems to care about this feature that much to provide us with more information.

>

I figured it would be something like this. It's really unfortunate because it's somewhat of a standard feature, and can be important for professional developers. How close where your friends able to get? I wish we didn't have to hack a solution but if one is possible I would be willing to pay for it.

Armaldio was the only one that found out more details on how the system actually works,

I wanted to get him here to explain further but well he magically appeared by himself.

One side note, neither Armaldio or myself said that we "hacked" Constuct 2.

We tried to achieve something with existing legal resources given by the software itself.

We don't want to get in trouble for things that we didn't do or tried to do.

• armaldio

Please keep me up to date if you do! Do you have an estimated time frame?

TheRealDannyyy

Sorry when I said "hack" I didn't mean it in the illegal sort but more off that we might be forced to cobble together a plugin or some other solution since we aren't given one up front.

• Just check your PMs

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)