How do I set up a good RPG style movement system?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Run and Jump in 3 Dimensions! Take your platformer to the next level!
  • I'm trying to make an RPG style game and I keep running in circles trying to figure out how to make this movement system work, always failing to do so. It's also a bit disheartening that I can't seem to understand one thing without understanding the other part. I'll just make a list of things I'm having trouble with, if that's ok with you, reader.

1. Sprite rotation. I've seen dozens of entries where devs want to know how to make their sprite rotate under different circumstances. I, however, don't want that to happen. (I've given up trying to make a sprite system for each direction, so I settled on a simple 4 frame walking animation.) When I use the 8Direction behavior, it automatically makes my sprite rotate whenever it's in motion. While this would be good for some other game, it's not what I'm looking for. I've tried several other types of movement-based behaviors and none of them seem to be what I'm looking for. Although, I keep juggling between 8Direction and Custom Movement.

2. Movement speed. When I do settle on one of them and attempt to get my controls in order, the speed at which the player object moves is not only slow (no matter what number I use), but it's choppy as well. I need a smooth flow in my object's movement and I can't figure out how to do it.

• 1 Have you tried setting the set sprite angle to NO in the 8-direction behaviour properties?

2 in 8-direction set the maximumspeed as high as you want to..

• Do you mean something like this?

I have problems to understand your text, but that's because of my poor english.

Video

Sorry, video is recorded with smartphone and lying on side...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • 1 Have you tried setting the set sprite angle to NO in the 8-direction behaviour properties?

2 in 8-direction set the maximumspeed as high as you want to..

Thank you!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)