How do I "RPG" some text?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Change delay, create new lines, "backspace" the text
  • No no, I'm just a moron and had it invisible lol. No problems.

• I was going to say, just replace all DestText.Text with SpriteFont.Text (and DestText object's actions with SpriteFont object's actions) and it should work fine, but again, I'm not familiar with SF+, sorry.

Can you describe exactly what part isn't working and maybe I can think of a workaround? Is the text not showing up at all? Do the inputs not work? Can you screenshot your events?

As I said, I accidentally had it set to invisible, but I do have another issue that I'm not sure how to get around, and maybe it's the way I'm doing it.

Should each dialogue be in it's own text file, or could every line of text in the game be in the same file? If all in the same file, how do I tell it when to stop displaying the text?

• Should each dialogue be in it's own text file, or could every line of text in the game be in the same file? If all in the same file, how do I tell it when to stop displaying the text?

I highly recommend using XML. It might look a little mysterious and complicated at first but it really isn't that difficult. It is great for organizing certain aspects of your project, especially dialogue. I use it in pretty much every project now.

I'd be happy to provide a quick explanation, a couple of reference links, and/or capx.

I have a post showing how you can use XML and randomness but it doesn't explain much or show the dialogue aspect:

• I'm very new to working with this whole text thing. I've used SpriteFont before to do intros and HUD stuff, but this is a little more complicated already.

I think the best option would be if I could see an example of "talking" to two different "npc" objects, each saying their own thing and can be talked to separately and in any order the player chooses. That would make things a little easier. :3

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Exactly, give me a few minutes . . .

• Actually, I already had this in my dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jbr4wlb8mwx5 ... 1uvta?dl=0

• Here is another example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wb1m2qabp38ln ... .capx?dl=0

I put the xml aspects at the top.

Sorry these are not very clean examples. I won't lie, it is a little complicated to setup at first, but after you get going it will make working with your text very organized. It will also give you some flexibility for characters with multiple things to say, randomly picks something to say, and cause some action afterwards. So I think it is worth it to learn.

I may try to put together a capx and tutorial for xml but in the meantime let me know if you want to learn.

• I only read the topic in diagonal, but have you checked the C2 Academy tutorial I made on RPG dialog box and XML system ?

Isn't it what you are looking to achieve ?

How to make an RPG style dialogue box -

-

-

• I only read the topic in diagonal, but have you checked the C2 Academy tutorial I made on RPG dialog box and XML system ?

Isn't it what you are looking to achieve ?

How to make an RPG style dialogue box -

-

-

I started watching a bit and it looks great! Thanks, I'll have to check it all out when I get the time.

...I'm not sure when I will have an hour free to watch it all - do you have a text version or capx anywhere? I have setup a lot of that already but haven't implemented response features (yes/no) or anything to deal with messages larger than the textbox container.

• : The description of each video contains the links to the example in the arcade that allows to download the commented capx for the tutorial.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)