How do I pick an object from a dynamic string?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Pick Up Items Sound effects for your game, Take them for a ride right now and you will worry no more.
  • Hello there, maybe someone can help me out here?

I want the following thing:

Step 1 : Write an object name to a string variable, e.g. "wood"

Step 2 : Do stuff with the object (for example create, destroy, rotate, etc.) based on this string variable.

I have a lot of different objects and want to write functions that can efficiently do the same thing to different kinds of objects, based on what is written dynamically to this string. I have - so far - not found a convenient way to do this without having to write down EVERY SINGLE case, beforehand, like this:

If string variable = "wood", pick object wood, etc. etc.

I hope you understand my problem. Is there some sort of plugin that can help?

Thanks so much for helping!

kbm

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • capx? screenshot?

• you could use function's to get it work

• Families let you group similar objects together and perform similar operations. Also, the nickname plugin allows you to pick by name.

• I would probably put them all in a family, and name the default animation the same as the name of the sprite.

Then "Pick by Evaluate" use the family, and the evaluation as

Family.AnimationName="Sprite"

edit: (actually I do this all the time, but instead of a family, I usually have all the sprites as separate animations in the same Object. Then picking by animation name is easy.)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)